Body lift + spacer lift - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Body lift + spacer lift

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 07-12-2013, 12:57 PM   #1
willard9
2009 JK Wrangler 

Body lift + spacer lift

I know there are a million questions about lifts already but I can't find an answer anywhere.

I have a 09 2dr wrangler X and want to lift it and put 35s on it. I'm thinking of putting a rough country 2.5" spacer lift and a 1" body lift on it. Will it still have the factory rake to it? Does anyone have any pictures of this setup?

I don't want to change control arms or drive shafts now but I also want to be able to go bigger in the future

I've always heard stay away from rough country but its only a spacer am body lift so it shouldn't really matter what brand right?

Thanks alot

Unread 07-12-2013, 01:30 PM   #2
DaveS01
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Flat fenders yo.
DaveS01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2013, 01:37 PM   #3
DuckRunner09
2012 JK Wrangler 

Yeah I'd just stay away from body lifts all together. They look like s!#& and really I don't see a practical use for them. If you're going to 35s you can run the 2.5 coil spacers and flat fenders and have more than enough room. Or if you don't wanna cough up the money for new fenders you can trim your factory ones. I'm clearing 33s with no lift, 35s are a mere 1" higher as far as distance from the hub so.... No need for that much lift. Keep the center of gravity low and don't get a body lift!
Unread 07-12-2013, 01:40 PM   #4
DaveS01
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Body lifts arent horrible. I wouldnt go anything higher than 1 or 1.25 at most.. Easy way to gain extra clearance without having to affect driveline angles.
But yea, Id do like a 1" coil spacer, some flatties and toss on 35s.

You may need to consider wheel spacers or offset wheels though..
DaveS01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2013, 03:07 PM   #5
willard9
2009 JK Wrangler 

Ya Id like to get some used rubicon rims and spacer cause IMO they are some of the best looking rims. The only reason I want a body lift is because I think even jk's with 3" lifts and 35s look too low and a spacer lift is just going to be worse. Would bushwhacker pocket flares have the same results as flat fenders? I like the look better.

What about the rake? Will this fix it or should I get some 3/4" spacers too?
Unread 07-12-2013, 03:38 PM   #6
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by willard9
I know there are a million questions about lifts already but I can't find an answer anywhere.

I have a 09 2dr wrangler X and want to lift it and put 35s on it. I'm thinking of putting a rough country 2.5" spacer lift and a 1" body lift on it. Will it still have the factory rake to it? Does anyone have any pictures of this setup?

I don't want to change control arms or drive shafts now but I also want to be able to go bigger in the future

I've always heard stay away from rough country but its only a spacer am body lift so it shouldn't really matter what brand right?

Thanks alot
A proper 2.5" spacer lift or BB has more then just coil spring spacers. Using just spacers is gonna cause you more grief then it's worth. For an example of what a good kit should contain, check out the TeraFlex 2.5 performance BB. A 2.5" lift is a 2.5" lift whether spacer or spring it should still contain many other parts.
2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited. Auto, Tow pkg, Dual Tops, MyGig, Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, Flex-o-lite trans cooler, Mr Grille billet grille inserts, AEV Prem Bumper ETC.. AND a Locked and Lifted Honda Foreman for when the trails get real tight
JTPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2013, 08:50 AM   #7
SLADE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Coil spacers will only effect the rake if you use two different height spacers (2.5" front/2" rear). Using 2.5" spacers front and rear will not effect your current rake. The body lift will not effect the rake.

It's better to start with coils and fine tune with spacers. Spacers do nothing to accommodate the added weight of bumpers, winches, fullsize spare, and body armor.

A body lift can be a good addition to a suspension. They increase tire clearance without adding to the bump stop length (taking away suspension travel), and add lift without effecting the driveline and suspension.
2001 Dodge Ram 2500
SLADE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2013, 09:20 AM   #8
bogleparsons
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLADE View Post
Coil spacers will only effect the rake if you use two different height spacers (2.5" front/2" rear). Using 2.5" spacers front and rear will not effect your current rake. The body lift will not effect the rake.

It's better to start with coils and fine tune with spacers. Spacers do nothing to accommodate the added weight of bumpers, winches, fullsize spare, and body armor.

A body lift can be a good addition to a suspension. They increase tire clearance without adding to the bump stop length (taking away suspension travel), and add lift without effecting the driveline and suspension.
Agreed, also it's nice to get the body off the frame when it comes to washing it and getting to certain parts.

There is nothing wrong with a small body lift, I would argue its a great mod.
Unread 07-15-2013, 12:46 PM   #9
willard9
2009 JK Wrangler 

Ya I really don't mind the look of body lifts as long as there small ones.

My plan is jut get it lifted cheaply for now and then slowly upgrade to get ready for a bigger lift. So just spacers for now then work on adj. control arms, adj. track bars, regear, bumpers then a full suspension lift so this spacer lift is temporary
Unread 07-15-2013, 12:56 PM   #10
Remmy18
2012 JK Wrangler 

As mentioned, take a serious look at flat fenders first imo. I'm very happy with the ride, tire clearance and Offroad performance of my leveling kit, cut fenders and 35s. Just my $.02
Remmy18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2013, 02:53 PM   #11
SLADE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by willard9 View Post
Ya I really don't mind the look of body lifts as long as there small ones.

My plan is jut get it lifted cheaply for now and then slowly upgrade to get ready for a bigger lift. So just spacers for now then work on adj. control arms, adj. track bars, regear, bumpers then a full suspension lift so this spacer lift is temporary

Add flat flares to a 2.5" suspension and 1" - 1.25" body lift and you'll be able to clear 37"+ tires. There's not really much of a need for any more lift.

2" - 2.5" coils now are cheaper than adding spacers now with the intention of replacing them later.
2001 Dodge Ram 2500
SLADE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2013, 07:16 PM   #12
willard9
2009 JK Wrangler 

Oh ok thanks
Unread 07-16-2013, 12:24 AM   #13
willard9
2009 JK Wrangler 

What about just a spacer lift and 33s for now? Lots cheaper and no need for regear right? Or will I just regret this right away? It is a daily driver and I would like to keep road manners as much as possible
Unread 07-16-2013, 12:50 AM   #14
DuckRunner09
2012 JK Wrangler 

33s, no lift. It'll have a spacer lift by the end of the week. Drives beautifully, still gets good(ish) mileage, and plenty capable as is. I'm VERY happy with it even with the 3.21 gears. Prefect dd/weekend warrior mix

img_20130709_162011.jpg
Unread 07-16-2013, 03:13 AM   #15
willard9
2009 JK Wrangler 

Awesome thanks!

Tags
35s , jk , lift , rough country , spacer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.