body lift question - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > body lift question

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!

Closed Thread
Unread 06-16-2013, 11:47 AM   #31
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

This like when I taught college and used to listen to a study group bantering, waiting for someone to come up with the right answer.

Unread 06-16-2013, 11:48 AM   #32
SLADE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncb View Post
I think Slade is saying if you simply add only a small spring spacer, not a (budget boost) spacer lift.

A spacer lift (budget boost) has longer shocks (or shock extensions) and bump stops which results in added clearance for larger tires.

Simply adding a small spacer to a stock JK will increase clearance in the garage, but not on the trail at full stuff.

Edit- not trolling or being a PITA. Just keeping facts straight.

Yea, you know whats going on. It was recomended to add a coil spacer to his exsisting 2" lift coils to gain tire clearance instead of the body lift. I just pointed out that the spacers alone will NOT add any additional tire clearance.

For some reason, some JK guys get insulted when good things are said about Body Lifts. A few even throw reason and real world numbers out the window to jump on the anti bodylift Bandwagon.
2001 Dodge Ram 2500
Unread 06-16-2013, 12:34 PM   #33
SLADE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPNBST View Post
You guys saying spring spacer lifts don't provide more clearance should only have a mouse, no keyboard for you.

And some guys should spend a little more time completly away from the computer and under their Jeep instead.
2001 Dodge Ram 2500
Unread 06-16-2013, 05:46 PM   #34
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLADE View Post
A 1" body lift allows more tire clearance than a 1" coil spacer. A coil spacer does not allow for any additional tire clearance.
Naturally, when I recommend a lift to a JK owner, I'd recommend to choose a complete budget boost or a proper lift with shocks and stops. However, this is not a normal situation - the OP seems to want to add a 2" body lift to his current 2" lift (4" total) simply to drive around town and "look down on everyone else on the road" - so we're clearly not talking about experiencing any rubbing, significant shock travel or stuffing wheels into wells. Fact is, we're only talking about increasing ride height. So, to that end, spacers used to increase his ride height would clearly suit his purpose. This is a moot point, regardless, because I wouldn't recommend going to 4" in any way unless your intention was to run 37's anyhow (something I pointed out in my first post).

Anyways, now that you've beat you chest all over the place, proved to everyone that you know so much about suspensions and you've scolded everyone that they should get away from their computers and under their Jeeps - the other fact is that practically nobody puts body lifts on JKs (nobody who knows any better anyhow). There are way better, more functional and easier options than using a body lift on a JK. In fact, the whole concept of body lifts on a JK is simply retarded.

Well, you said that you're amused by this discussion... well I can recommend a couple of other ways that you can use to amuse yourself from now on otherwise.
Unread 06-16-2013, 06:40 PM   #35
SLADE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubAtomicGenius View Post
Naturally, when I recommend a lift to a JK owner, I'd recommend to choose a complete budget boost or a proper lift with shocks and stops. However, this is not a normal situation - the OP seems to want to add a 2" body lift to his current 2" lift (4" total) simply to drive around town and "look down on everyone else on the road" - so we're clearly not talking about experiencing any rubbing, significant shock travel or stuffing wheels into wells. Fact is, we're only talking about increasing ride height. So, to that end, spacers used to increase his ride height would clearly suit his purpose. This is a moot point, regardless, because I wouldn't recommend going to 4" in any way unless your intention was to run 37's anyhow (something I pointed out in my first post).

Anyways, now that you've beat you chest all over the place, proved to everyone that you know so much about suspensions and you've scolded everyone that they should get away from their computers and under their Jeeps - the other fact is that practically nobody puts body lifts on JKs (nobody who knows any better anyhow). There are way better, more functional and easier options than using a body lift on a JK. In fact, the whole concept of body lifts on a JK is simply retarded.

Well, you said that you're amused by this discussion... well I can recommend a couple of other ways that you can use to amuse yourself from now on otherwise.

It looks like we may have one of those JK owners that I mentioned earlier.

There's nothing wrong with disliking a body lift and avoiding using one, but there are many JK owners that have benefited from using one and who see the benefits that can be gained by using a small body lift in combination with a suspension lift.

I never thought you would take so much offense to me responding to an inaccurate/false statement you made. I'll leave the inaccurate statements you made in this post alone.
2001 Dodge Ram 2500
Unread 06-16-2013, 06:51 PM   #36
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

Lol, keep circling around the forum like a vulture. Perhaps you should spend some more time finding faults in your own life than clutching dearly to forum posts about lame body spacers.
Unread 06-16-2013, 07:42 PM   #37
SLADE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Lol, keep circling around the forum like a vulture. Perhaps you should spend some more time finding faults in your own life than clutching dearly to forum posts about lame body spacers.

Looking around this thread actually makes me feel pretty good about my life. Your responses have definitely made me feel better about myself.

Quote:
Note that most JK enthusiasts avoid body lifts. If you're looking for more height, the real reason should be to clear bigger rubber, not to just get more height. And that is achieved with a lift kit - perhaps coil spacers - but not a body lift. Just my $0.02.

Also, a 4" lift on a JK is a really big lift, typically used to run 37-inch tires. They are expensive to do right.
Lets get back to talking Jeeps.

So since you obviously feel that my response to your statement is off base, please explain to me what you said...

How would adding a coil spacer to his existing 2" lift coils clear larger tires ("bigger rubber")?

Why would a body lift NOT provide more tire clearance?
2001 Dodge Ram 2500
Unread 06-16-2013, 08:14 PM   #38
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Unread 06-16-2013, 09:05 PM   #39
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Slade, if I agreed with your cockamamy ideas on suspension, then we would be both wrong...glad you find fun in whatever you do though.
this thread is now useless to anyone.
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
Unread 06-17-2013, 02:33 AM   #40
rayder1

I didn't know Slade was a thread troll. Guess I'm still new to this forum. After reading some of his answers I should have known better. I'll take to ignoring his posts. Thanks.
Unread 06-17-2013, 08:35 AM   #41
SLADE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyClymer View Post
Slade, if I agreed with your cockamamy ideas on suspension, then we would be both wrong...glad you find fun in whatever you do though.
this thread is now useless to anyone.

Then lets talk about. Where am I off at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLADE View Post
Quote:
Note that most JK enthusiasts avoid body lifts. If you're looking for more height, the real reason should be to clear bigger rubber, not to just get more height. And that is achieved with a lift kit - perhaps coil spacers - but not a body lift. Just my $0.02.

Also, a 4" lift on a JK is a really big lift, typically used to run 37-inch tires. They are expensive to do right.

A 1" body lift allows more tire clearance than a 1" coil spacer. A coil spacer does not allow for any additional tire clearance.

Am I wrong in thinking that it would take extending the bump stops to gain additional tire clearance and that adding coil spacers alone will not allow for more tire clearance?

Am I wrong that a Body lift both increases the ride height and adds tire clearance?

How is SubAtomicGenius correct in saying that coil spacers add tire clearance but a body lift does not?

Now I'm in no way agreeing with adding a 2" Body lift. I don't think that more than a 1" - 1.25" body lift should be used on any Jeep (CJ, YJ, TJ, or even a JK). But at the same time, I do not agree with SubAtomicGenius's claim that a coil spacer increases tire clearance but a Body lift does not.

There are 3 Big factors for a JK when it comes to tire clearance ("bigger Rubber") and they directly relate to each other and the maximum tire size that can be ran.

1: Fender flares
2: Body lift
3: Bump stops

The amount of suspension lift alone is not one of them but it is directly related to the amount of bump stop that is needed... (You can't run a 3" bump stop on stock suspension but at the same time you do not gain tire clearance if you run a 4" suspension lift and stock Bump Stops). A coil spacer alone only adds to the lift/ride height and does nothing to allow for larger tires.

But that's just "Cockamamy ideas" from a "troll"
2001 Dodge Ram 2500
Unread 06-17-2013, 09:42 AM   #42
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Slade states: "A coil spacer alone only adds to the lift/ride height and does nothing to allow for larger tires."
Says it all IMO. Judge for yourself....
I'm outta here on this thread.
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
Unread 06-17-2013, 09:53 AM   #43
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

The only way this thread is over if y'all let slade have the last post, or two.
Unread 06-17-2013, 05:15 PM   #44
HighandLow
Stay Frosty...

2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight-pipe View Post
I've done a 2" coil lift and I want to get a bit more height. I don't want to go more radical with a suspension lift than what I have.

My attention is turned to body lifts.
My question is if I want to install a 2" BL what will I be facing in regards to stretched hoses and stuff like that...what is the most lift I can do without having to mess with too many things?
07 JK 4 dr 3.8 auto 2" coil lift.
Ugh! These threads always turn south. But, I'll put on my flame suit and go ahead and offer an answer.
IMHO 1.25" is all you want to put on your jeep. I don't know for sure how much play there is in the wiring and hoses etc. But when I installed my 1' BL the instructions were to unhook some of the wiring connections to avoid breaking the connections. I'm sure someone knows exactly how much slack there is, but from my experience not much. Also, if you have a standard, I believe your shifter will be that much shorter.

Anyway, I put on my BL for pretty much the same reason you want to. I just wanted my jeep to sit a little taller. From what I've learned on the forum. You begin to run into problems after 3.5" of suspension lift. So, I went about it by putting on 2.5" - 3" of suspension lift, in order to stay clear of too many problems like driveshaft or steering. Then adding the 1" BL. Total 4" of the lift that I wanted. The other plus was the cost. 4" lifts that include everything you need were out of my price range.

All in all, would I rather have a 4" suspension lift? Of course! But I'm happy with my Jeeps ride height. Came out of it cheaper with no issues and kept it simple. If I ever do decide to invest the money to go bigger and get really serious about a hard wheeling Jeep, I'm sure the BL will come off.

To add to the question of how it will look. Not very good with 2" IMHO.
My 1" is only really noticeable in the rear bumper gap. I painted it black but it still does'nt look right. I'd be glad to post of some pics and let you decide for yourself.

Cheers!
Unread 06-17-2013, 05:23 PM   #45
DrHolliday

2011 JK Wrangler 

Wow, a lot of strongly opinionated individuals in this thread!

I'm running a 1.25" body lift on top of a 3.5" suspension lift. Why? So I did not have to add as much bump stop for the larger tires. Without the BL I would have only had a little over 2" of up travel before the tires were into the fenders. Just seemed like the way to go for my application. I would not go any more than 1.25" on the BL, JMO.

My build thread

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.