body lift question - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > body lift question

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Closed Thread
Unread 06-15-2013, 10:09 PM   #16
Rtone1583
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLADE View Post
That does not translate to additional tire clearance. You still have the same amount of tire clearance you did before you added the spacer. You've only altered the ride height.
That's making my head hurt.

Trying to figure out how, exactly, increasing the ride height does NOT increase tire clearance.

By this reasoning, installing a 4" lift (which only alters ride height) will not allow you to run tires larger than stock.

I must be living in strange world since I'm running a 4.5" lift and can fit 37" tires.

Rtone1583 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2013, 11:10 PM   #17
straight-pipe
2007 JK Wrangler 

wow...thanks I think....didn't ask anyone opinion as to my reasons, if one must know, it's just to boost it up. I used to own a v-10 2500 ram and i kinda dig looking down on people tiz all and I don't mind the look...each their own I guess.
Unread 06-15-2013, 11:31 PM   #18
ncb

This thread won't last long.
ncb is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2013, 08:56 AM   #19
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLADE

That does not translate to additional tire clearance. You still have the same amount of tire clearance you did before you added the spacer. You've only altered the ride height.
Is this a joke? Or do you just have no idea what you're talking about?

Sent from my iForum using JeepPhone

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I think...
tyvanwie is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2013, 10:48 AM   #20
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Don 't feed Slade....he is trolling again. And yes, he has no idea what he is talking about, or at best uses double speak...
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2013, 11:07 AM   #21
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I'm still waiting for the hero of this movie to save everyone!
Unread 06-16-2013, 11:12 AM   #22
straight-pipe
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperDon View Post
Good luck then. After 6 years in Canada (salt, humidity, rust), the bolts may be tough to get out, might break.
I deal with that everyday, been in the autobody trade for 24 years and I have a fully equipped GM dealership to play in so I'm not concerned with ...bolts.
Unread 06-16-2013, 11:44 AM   #23
ncb

I'm confused. If one needed more clearance to keep a tire from rubbing the fender how would a small spring spacer (not a budget boost kit) get rid of the fender rub?
Unread 06-16-2013, 11:53 AM   #24
RIPNBST
2004 WJ 

You guys saying spring spacer lifts don't provide more clearance should only have a mouse, no keyboard for you.
RIPNBST is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2013, 12:01 PM   #25
ncb

I think Slade is saying if you simply add only a small spring spacer, not a (budget boost) spacer lift.

A spacer lift (budget boost) has longer shocks (or shock extensions) and bump stops which results in added clearance for larger tires.

Simply adding a small spacer to a stock JK will increase clearance in the garage, but not on the trail at full stuff.

Edit- not trolling or being a PITA. Just keeping facts straight.
Unread 06-16-2013, 12:10 PM   #26
ncb

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPNBST
You guys saying spring spacer lifts don't provide more clearance should only have a mouse, no keyboard for you.
The difference is in the term "spring spacer" and "spacer lift" aka budget boost.
Unread 06-16-2013, 12:21 PM   #27
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncb
I think Slade is saying if you simply add only a small spring spacer, not a (budget boost) spacer lift.

A spacer lift (budget boost) has longer shocks (or shock extensions) and bump stops which results in added clearance for larger tires.

Simply adding a small spacer to a stock JK will increase clearance in the garage, but not on the trail at full stuff.

Edit- not trolling or being a PITA. Just keeping facts straight.
I agree.. The extended bumpstop has to accompany the spring spacer to increase ride height and to prevent rub.
2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited. Auto, Tow pkg, Dual Tops, MyGig, Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, Flex-o-lite trans cooler, Mr Grille billet grille inserts, AEV Prem Bumper ETC.. AND a Locked and Lifted Honda Foreman for when the trails get real tight
JTPhoto is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2013, 12:22 PM   #28
SLADE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtone1583 View Post
That's making my head hurt.

Trying to figure out how, exactly, increasing the ride height does NOT increase tire clearance.

By this reasoning, installing a 4" lift (which only alters ride height) will not allow you to run tires larger than stock.

I must be living in strange world since I'm running a 4.5" lift and can fit 37" tires.

Simply adding a 1" coil spacer does NOT increase the distance between your tire and body at full bump. The 1" coil spacer just simply adds 1" to your ride height.

Your 4.5" lift also allowed you to install the needed bump stop that allowes your 37's to clear at full bump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyvanwie View Post
Is this a joke? Or do you just have no idea what you're talking about?

Sent from my iForum using JeepPhone

I do find it amusing. Some people just have trouble following.
2001 Dodge Ram 2500
SLADE is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2013, 12:23 PM   #29
SLADE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyClymer View Post
Don 't feed Slade....he is trolling again. And yes, he has no idea what he is talking about, or at best uses double speak...
Are you still having trouble with real world measurments and not understanding how extending Bump stops limit suspension travel? There is no trolling on my end, just a lack of understanding on yours.
2001 Dodge Ram 2500
Unread 06-16-2013, 12:30 PM   #30
SLADE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTPhoto View Post
I agree.. The extended bumpstop has to accompany the spring spacer to increase ride height and to prevent rub.

Exactly.
2001 Dodge Ram 2500
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.