JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   JK Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/)
-   -   body lift question (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/body-lift-question-1536732/)

straight-pipe 06-15-2013 06:16 AM

body lift question

I've done a 2" coil lift and I want to get a bit more height. I don't want to go more radical with a suspension lift than what I have.

My attention is turned to body lifts.
My question is if I want to install a 2" BL what will I be facing in regards to stretched hoses and stuff like that...what is the most lift I can do without having to mess with too many things?
07 JK 4 dr 3.8 auto 2" coil lift.

JeeperDon 06-15-2013 07:08 AM

Body lifts are tacky in my and many others opinions. I suggest you got the wrong lift to start with. I helped a friend add a 4" 'stock-arm' kit to his '11 and it stands nice, clears 35's with stock fenders.

Rtone1583 06-15-2013 07:12 AM

What size tires are you currently running? You may be able to get that extra little bit by bumping up the tire size. Might even be able to bump the tire size plus a one inch BL. Depending on tire size you could gain two inches overall.

As far as the BL, I would say that 2" would be the max you'd want to go may even be the max you can go.

This looks like a pretty good write up on what you can expect.

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?4...ep-JK-Wrangler

Rtone1583 06-15-2013 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeeperDon (Post 15564116)
Body lifts are tacky in my and many others opinions. I suggest you got the wrong lift to start with. I helped a friend add a 4" 'stock-arm' kit to his '11 and it stands nice, clears 35's with stock fenders.

That answers the OP's question in what way?

straight-pipe 06-15-2013 07:27 AM

don't care about it looking tacky, just need some input from someone who has done one and if they have run into any problems

straight-pipe 06-15-2013 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rtone1583 (Post 15564125)
What size tires are you currently running? You may be able to get that extra little bit by bumping up the tire size. Might even be able to bump the tire size plus a one inch BL. Depending on tire size you could gain two inches overall.

As far as the BL, I would say that 2" would be the max you'd want to go may even be the max you can go.

This looks like a pretty good write up on what you can expect.

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?4...ep-JK-Wrangler

I am running 265 duratrax and I am not interested in running a bigger tire. My MPG is pretty decent and i don't want to mess with a good thing there.

JeeperDon 06-15-2013 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by straight-pipe (Post 15564167)
don't care about it looking tacky

Good luck then. :rolleyes: After 6 years in Canada (salt, humidity, rust), the bolts may be tough to get out, might break.

Tanimal 06-15-2013 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by straight-pipe (Post 15564023)
I've done a 2" coil lift and I want to get a bit more height. I don't want to go more radical with a suspension lift than what I have.

My question is if I want to install a 2" BL what will I be facing in regards to stretched hoses and stuff like that...what is the most lift I can do without having to mess with too many things?

Why do you want more height?

rayder1 06-15-2013 10:05 AM

You're running 265's, don't want bigger tires but want to go past 2" lift. ....and the reason?

Yeah....you maxed out your lift without having to modify stuff. Read the massive number of lift posts and you'll get an idea of what you're looking at.

SLADE 06-15-2013 04:27 PM

If your looking to a Body Lift for more "lift", your looking at it for the wrong reasons.

SubAtomicGenius 06-15-2013 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by straight-pipe (Post 15564023)

Note that most JK enthusiasts avoid body lifts. If you're looking for more height, the real reason should be to clear bigger rubber, not to just get more height. And that is achieved with a lift kit - perhaps coil spacers - but not a body lift. Just my $0.02.

Also, a 4" lift on a JK is a really big lift, typically used to run 37-inch tires. They are expensive to do right.

RockyClymer 06-15-2013 05:51 PM

They say I am opinionated....so be it, a body lift on a JK looks plain dorky....fugly IMO.

SLADE 06-15-2013 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SubAtomicGenius (Post 15565805)
Note that most JK enthusiasts avoid body lifts. If you're looking for more height, the real reason should be to clear bigger rubber, not to just get more height. And that is achieved with a lift kit - perhaps coil spacers - but not a body lift. Just my $0.02.

Also, a 4" lift on a JK is a really big lift, typically used to run 37-inch tires. They are expensive to do right.

A 1" body lift allows more tire clearance than a 1" coil spacer. A coil spacer does not allow for any additional tire clearance.

rayder1 06-15-2013 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLADE

A 1" body lift allows more tire clearance than a 1" coil spacer. A coil spacer does not allow for any additional tire clearance.

Uh....it creates 1" separation between the top of the spring (suspension to frame) and the bottom of the spring (axle). Therefore you have more tire clearance. Without changing shocks, though, a spacer lift steals a bit of shock travel.

SLADE 06-15-2013 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rayder1 (Post 15565905)
Uh....it creates 1" separation between the top of the spring (suspension to frame) and the bottom of the spring (axle). Therefore you have more tire clearance. Without changing shocks, though, a spacer lift steals a bit of shock travel.

That does not translate to additional tire clearance. You still have the same amount of tire clearance you did before you added the spacer. You've only altered the ride height. :thumbsup:

The time now is 08:03 PM.