Body lift - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Body lift

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!

Unread 09-11-2013, 12:57 PM   #16
Filthy-Beast
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

the one I have of course Metalcloak Game changer.

For Sale: 2013 4dr JK Painted black Hard Top JKUR 18/59 springs and shocks

97 TJ: daughter 1 - 2.5L, Auto, 2" BB, 31" GY Duratrac
98 TJ: Daugher 2 - 4.0L, 5spd, D44 rear
06 LJ Rubicon: mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
13 JKU Rubicon: Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2013, 01:03 PM   #17
Godholio
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrangler44 View Post
Thank you for explaining the body lift. I'm doing the lift for performance and off-roading. My type of off-roading would be beach/minimal rock crawling unless I go on my trips with some of my buddies which I do plan on to so I want to be somewhat capable for that/mud/I do get heavy snow storms during the winter here, I'm in ny so a lift would deff benefit me. I guess with 3.5 isn't really practical. Deff not doing 37s but 35s is a yes. Deff not the body lift either, doesn't seem safe. 2.5inch lift seems fair but I have saved up a decent amount of money for aside for my next wrangler so I figured why not 3.5. Which I know comes with a pretty token. But I was also thinking if I get a 2.5 inch lift, people say you can always build on it if you think you need more so I could always do that in the future. Just trying to figure out if it would be cheaper to do it now in one shot or in intervals....I hope your mind is still working after this, welcome to my brain :-/
I bought a YJ that had a 3" body lift on it. The body's center of gravity is higher, and all that stress from every turn and bump is focused on a smaller, HARDER surface (the puck) than a non-lifted body. Of the 11 body mount locations around the tub, 7 had to be repaired (welded shut). 3 mounts were completely through the tub.
Utah Jeep Crew #148
No powerball here? How am I supposed to finance the mods?!?
'12 Sport...miss my YJ for all the wrong reasons though
Godholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2013, 01:17 PM   #18
SLADE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy-Beast View Post
the one I have of course Metalcloak Game changer.

Well there is that one... It's sorta in a league of it's own when it comes to travel. The 6 pack shocks do wonders for the travel.

Could you achieve the same amount of travel if you where to use the same components with a set of 2.5" coils instead of the 3.5" coils?
2001 Dodge Ram 2500
SLADE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2013, 03:53 PM   #19
Wrangler44
2012 JK Wrangler 

Alright I guess this thread is moving into lifts lol. Which is perfect. I do plan on getting a new exhaust but that's the least if my worries. So idk if a body lift would assist that in any way, I have actually thought about a 1" BL if that works but it seems like most of you are against that route. Out of all seriousness I put away $8000 fir my budget. I know some of you will say save your money for life stuff but I also put away a fair amount for that and of course if I can save some I will...duhh!! Now I have a 2dr now and have to wait sometime to get a 4dr due to kids cause no more room. So this plan is a for a four door to be clear. I would like to steer in the direction of rock krawler, metal cloak. I heard great things about aev but I think I want a lil more flex than what they offer and I could be wrong so please correct me(which I know some of you will lol) now here's my question...I was going to go with the Rk Max travel 2.5", although I like the looks of it being higher with the 3.5" but it might not be realistic for what I'm going to do. Remind you I will be going off-road 10times a year. It is my daily driver until I get a Prius .. To drive me to work. Am I better to buy a complete set(lift) or piece it together to accomplish what I need?
Wrangler44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2013, 04:46 PM   #20
Filthy-Beast
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

getting springs with shocks that are correctly valved to the springs is very important in ride quality. Yes you can piece together a lift and end up with a great rig(what I did on my LJ, 2nd try), however you can also pick parts that don't perform the best together(my LJ 1st try). On my JK I went with a MetalCtloak lift to get everything matched together from a company with an exceptional reputation for quality and customer service. Their 2.5" game changer lite and tires will take up half of your budget. that will leave the other half for wheels, bumpers, rails ,winch etc.

Here is their 3.5" lift with 35s and flat fenders.

06 LJ Rubicon: mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
13 JKU Rubicon: Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs
Unread 09-11-2013, 05:33 PM   #21
Remmy18
2012 JK Wrangler 

My $.02 is go with flat fenders on a JK opposed to a body lift for some extra clearance. It's easy, no side effects and free if you just cut the stockers.

I'll stay away from the whole body/lift suspension travel debate.... I remember that thread.
Remmy18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2013, 06:55 PM   #22
Wrangler44
2012 JK Wrangler 

Overall I'm staying away from the body lift forever. I've read so much stuff about them today I feel like an encyclopedia. Just Doesn't seem smart or safe.
Wrangler44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2013, 04:37 AM   #23
SLADE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Overall I'm staying away from the body lift forever. I've read so much stuff about them today I feel like an encyclopedia. Just Doesn't seem smart or safe.

Here is a good read that looks at how bump stops are effected when combining flat flares and a body lift to a suspension lift.

http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31183

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/r...flares-924510/
2001 Dodge Ram 2500
Unread 09-12-2013, 05:01 AM   #24
SLADE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Out of all seriousness I put away $8000 fir my budget......

You have a nice budget to work with, but it will go fast. Before you start looking at lifts and tires, you need to make your gearing a priority. Traction aids go hand in hand with a re-gear, so you'll have to decide if you want to leave it open or install limited slips, lockers, or a combination. You can buy a top of the line lift and still end up with a turd on and off-road if you don't have the proper gears.

Quote:
Remind you I will be going off-road 10times a year. It is my daily driver until I get a Prius .. To drive me to work. Am I better to buy a complete set(lift) or piece it together to accomplish what I need?

In my opinion, combining a Body lift and a suspension lift with flat flares make for an all around solid setup that is comfortable on the street and capable on the trail.

You'll get the appearance, height, and maintain the on-road comfort you want and at the same time getting the most out of your budget.
2001 Dodge Ram 2500
Unread 09-16-2013, 08:05 PM   #25
xbill

Guys....while in the vein of lift options, what does everyone think of just doing a Mopar lift at a jeep dealer ? They do a 2 inch lift installed for around 1800 and it comes with a 3 yr/36k mile warranty and hopefully less warranty hassle with dealer if anything else breaks. I never see anyone mention the mopar option (cost I assume as its definitely more expensive) but then I see a lot of complaining about the local 4x4 shops which worries me. Any input appreciated. FYI - I just put in an order for a 2014 Rubi and want to go to 35s. I don't want or need to do anything extreme so just looking at a 2-2.5 inch lift.
xbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2013, 08:17 PM   #26
Filthy-Beast
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

They charge a premium over the price of a good lift, the big problem is it's basic lift. Lifts are easy to install yourself. While they might and I mean might warranty the lift, the 35s can be cause for denying warranty on any suspension or drive line issues.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.