Body Armour question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Body Armour question

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 08-27-2012, 08:43 AM   #1
davisden79
2013 JK Wrangler 

Body Armour question

Just wondering if anyone knows if there is some kind of armour or guard to put on my doors or jeep itself, Taking the doors on and off I am already scratching my paint by the hinges. The doors are so heavy and doing it myself just the smallest contact trying to line the doors onto the hinge I keep dinging it. I dont know if I am just not using the right terminology when searching it, but nothings showing up. Any ideas besides lifting weights to strengthen my girlie arms? lol

Unread 08-27-2012, 12:35 PM   #2
DAYJ
2013 JK Wrangler 

just got to the dealer and buy some touch up paint, you will eventually notice that the hinge part that sticks out will get chips from common road debris. that part is gunna get chipper reguardless.

Utah Jeep Crew Member #47
Cheyenne Trail Junkie

ROADS!? Where we're going, we don't need roads... (Doc)
DAYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2012, 01:35 PM   #3
Wavedatya
2010 JK Wrangler 

I don't have a problem with the weight but it is a pain to line up the holes and pins.

What I do is roll the windows down before. I open the door and grab the inner handle and bottom of door and rest the outside of door against my body. Usually I watch to wear something that won't scratch the paint.

Applying grease to the holes will help and make it slide right out of the hole. No pulling.

If weight is an issue you can try this. Go get a hydraulic jack around 100$ for a cheap one. But you are just lifting a door. Get a piece of 2x4 about 15 " long and glue some carpet to it. Roll window down. Disconnect and unplug. Place carpeted wood on jack and slowly raise it to the bottom of the door. Slowly jack it up until it pops out. CAREFULLY and slowly lower the jack and wheel doors inside garage! Place on a blanket upright and lean against the wall.

Rear doors I place with the hinge pins on the ground because the door is nice and flat and doesn't feel like there gonna topple over.

***** if you dont want to go through all that. tape off the rest of the hinge except the rounded part and around the hinge. Go get a can of plasti dip and apply to the hinge where my finger is. It can be easily applied and can be easily removed and re applied if needed.
image-1814121730.jpg   image-66514291.jpg  
OF4WD member #7523. Durham 4x4 member.
Wavedatya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2012, 05:01 PM   #4
tankinyj
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAYJ View Post
just got to the dealer and buy some touch up paint, you will eventually notice that the hinge part that sticks out will get chips from common road debris. that part is gunna get chipper reguardless.
Touch up paint sounds like the easiest and cheapest to me
Orange Crush Jeep Club Member #55
tankinyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2012, 12:24 PM   #5
Godholio
2012 JK Wrangler 

All they needed to do to make it easier to line up the holes is to make one hinge slightly taller than the other, so you can line up that one first THEN the other instead of having to hit both at the same time.
Utah Jeep Crew #148
No powerball here? How am I supposed to finance the mods?!?
'12 Sport...miss my YJ for all the wrong reasons though
Godholio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2012, 12:33 PM   #6
MKWrangler
2008 JK Wrangler 

You can spray bedliner on the hinges, or Plastidip
MKWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
armor , guards , paint , protection

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.