Body armour bumper - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Body armour bumper

THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15”/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 05-22-2012, 07:18 PM   #1
blackmomba
2012 JK Wrangler 

Body armour bumper

How are these? How the quality and strength

blackmomba is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2012, 09:02 PM   #2
yoda13
Force Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

Mine's great so far...quality is good and has held up well in a year and a half so far...
2007 White Jeep Wrangler X-auto, black freedom top, 15x8 Pro Comp Rock Crawlers, 33x12.5x15 BFG KM2s, Superchips Flashpaq, 2" OME Spring Lift, Bilsteins, Rusty's Adjustable front and rear trac-bar, JKS Quicker Disconnects, Rusty's adjustable lower control arms (front and rear), PolyPerformance adjustable upper control arms (front and rear), OEM Rubicon Rock Rails, Finishlinewest Stonehenge Series rear bumper, Smittybuilt winch, Body Armor Front High Clearance Bumper w/ KC Highlights mounted, Roadmaster towbar, Valley 2" receiver hitch, Skid Row Engine Transmission skid, sPod switching system, KC Highlights windshield mounted lights, Delta replacement non-quadbar xenon headlamps, and Bestop saddlebags-Member of the United Four Wheel Drive Association and Blue Ribbon Coalition, †John 3:16†

RIP Mrs. yoda13... My life is better for having had you in it and you made me a better man...I can't wait to see you again...I love you always and forever, and for all eternity

If you want to help the sport of off-roading, and protect your right to do so, please visit the Envirobeat
forum...

yoda13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2012, 04:54 AM   #3
OH9JK
2009 JK Wrangler 

I second that. Been very happy with my Body Armor bumpers. No fading, peeling, cracking, rusting, etc.

The only modification I made was on the front bumper. I added some angle iron reinforcement around the winch mount to help spread the load.

You can catch them on sale from time to time and Body Armor typically runs a rebate program.
OH9JK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2012, 07:34 AM   #4
bjdean16
2009 JK Wrangler 

I have their high clearance front bumper and while I love the looks, I too have concerns about the strength of the intergrated winch plate. I also added angle iron under the winch to help spread the load across the entire mounting surface. Not sure if it actually helps but it makes me feel better.

There is a youtube video of a very similar designed bumper from best top flexing while under the load of a winch.

On a scale of 1-10 I would give this bumper an 8 on appearance but only a 4-5 for strength. If you are planning on using it to winch a lot I would probably look elsewhere. If just for the occasional self recovery, you should be fine.
Unread 05-23-2012, 10:21 AM   #5
blackmomba
2012 JK Wrangler 

Well that's all good to hear. It seems bumpers are either low quality or they want an arm and a leg for them.
Unread 05-23-2012, 10:26 AM   #6
KrawlOff-Road
Vendor

2007 JK Wrangler 

What is your ideal budget for a front bumper?

-Jason

Tires-FREE SHIPPING!!
KrawlOff-Road is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2012, 11:08 AM   #7
Aegeas
2009 JK Wrangler 

Body Armor

Just so happens I just posted a review about their bumper that I bought out on Amazon. I was frustrated to say the least, but the bumper looks good on. Mounting the winch on it is problematic because the fairlead tabs were welded too close the winch mounting holes. I bought the JK-19531 version. Too bad I don't have enough money to afford an ARB...
Aegeas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2012, 11:41 AM   #8
blackmomba
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrawlOff-Road
What is your ideal budget for a front bumper?

-Jason
I'd like to be about 500. I won't be doing anything extreme offroad wise
Unread 05-23-2012, 12:13 PM   #9
KrawlOff-Road
Vendor

2007 JK Wrangler 

Have you looked at the ones from ACE? Amazing quality. Built like a tank so it WILL hold up. It comes powder coated as well! They should be in your price range. Espcially after we help out!

-Jason

Tires-FREE SHIPPING!!
Unread 05-23-2012, 12:35 PM   #10
blackmomba
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrawlOff-Road
Have you looked at the ones from ACE? Amazing quality. Built like a tank so it WILL hold up. It comes powder coated as well! They should be in your price range. Espcially after we help out!

-Jason
Their mid width with the bull bar is pretty sweet. Looks really strong as well
Unread 05-23-2012, 01:05 PM   #11
KrawlOff-Road
Vendor

2007 JK Wrangler 

It is! They make theri bumpers out of 1/4" were everyone else is 3/16" or less!

-Jason

Tires-FREE SHIPPING!!
Unread 05-23-2012, 01:42 PM   #12
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

Also try JCR offroad. Cheap and excellent build quality. I would have pulled the trigger on these had they been available when I went to buy my bumpers.
SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2012, 01:59 PM   #13
bjdean16
2009 JK Wrangler 

If I had to do it over I would have went with the JCR over the body Armor...Probably will after I get some other things checked off the list.
Unread 05-23-2012, 02:50 PM   #14
yoda13
Force Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OH9JK View Post
I second that. Been very happy with my Body Armor bumpers. No fading, peeling, cracking, rusting, etc.

The only modification I made was on the front bumper. I added some angle iron reinforcement around the winch mount to help spread the load.

You can catch them on sale from time to time and Body Armor typically runs a rebate program.
could you post some pics of what you have done? I have winched a ton with mine and haven't noticed anything, but its been mostly stumps, fencing, and self recovery...the only really heavy thing I have winched is a stuck skid-steer...

I am really really pleased with mine, and it was a gift to boot
2007 White Jeep Wrangler X-auto, black freedom top, 15x8 Pro Comp Rock Crawlers, 33x12.5x15 BFG KM2s, Superchips Flashpaq, 2" OME Spring Lift, Bilsteins, Rusty's Adjustable front and rear trac-bar, JKS Quicker Disconnects, Rusty's adjustable lower control arms (front and rear), PolyPerformance adjustable upper control arms (front and rear), OEM Rubicon Rock Rails, Finishlinewest Stonehenge Series rear bumper, Smittybuilt winch, Body Armor Front High Clearance Bumper w/ KC Highlights mounted, Roadmaster towbar, Valley 2" receiver hitch, Skid Row Engine Transmission skid, sPod switching system, KC Highlights windshield mounted lights, Delta replacement non-quadbar xenon headlamps, and Bestop saddlebags-Member of the United Four Wheel Drive Association and Blue Ribbon Coalition, †John 3:16†

RIP Mrs. yoda13... My life is better for having had you in it and you made me a better man...I can't wait to see you again...I love you always and forever, and for all eternity

If you want to help the sport of off-roading, and protect your right to do so, please visit the Envirobeat
forum...

yoda13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2012, 04:26 PM   #15
OH9JK
2009 JK Wrangler 

Yoda - I don't have any photos handy but basically what I did was to take a stick of angle iron, drill holes that match the winch bolt pattern and use it like a giant washer to spread the load across more of the bumper. I have a 10,500# winch and was afraid of bending the bumper during a hard pull.
OH9JK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.