On board air system - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > On board air system

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-13-2006, 02:50 PM   #31
Bigbob

Bob's theory; A 5 gallon tank with 100 psi will fill a 1 gallon tire 20 psi and have 5 gallons of 80 psi air left in it. That is considering no loss of air during the filling process. Most off road tires are bigger than 5 gallons.

Riddle: If you have a 23 gallon air tank filled to 200 PSI air pressure and you fill one 37"X12:50X15 MTR from 10 PSI to 27 PSI how many gallons of air are left in the tank?

Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2006, 04:08 PM   #32
scottyc
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbob
Bob's theory; A 5 gallon tank with 100 psi will fill a 1 gallon tire 20 psi and have 5 gallons of 80 psi air left in it. That is considering no loss of air during the filling process. Most off road tires are bigger than 5 gallons.
My calculations put the tank at 146 psi after filling a 1 gallon tire 20 psi. However a 1 gallon tire is tiny. The tire in your example below is over 40 gallons.

Quote:
Riddle: If you have a 23 gallon air tank filled to 200 PSI air pressure and you fill one 37"X12:50X15 MTR from 10 PSI to 27 PSI how many gallons of air are left in the tank?
Trick question: the tank doesn't change size, so there are still 23 gallons of air. The pressure has changed. If anyone is curious what the pressure would be:

If you assume a perfectly cylindrical tire on a 12.5" wide rim (probably not the case), then your tire is 48.6 gallons. Starting with a 23gal tank at 200 psi and a 48.6 gal tire at 10 psi, and ending with a 48.6 gal tire at 27 psi, the tank (still at 23 gallons) would have a pressure of 164 psi.
scottyc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2006, 04:13 PM   #33
surfcaster
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrogers
Now wait a minute... I used to do this all the time on my 2004 Rubicon.

The stock MTRs are rated to maximum load at something like 85 psi. This maximum psi is right on the side of the tire. I would fill the spare tire to 80 or 85 psi before a wheeling trip and then use this air to refill the other 4 tires. It was enough air to go from around 15 psi back to about 30 psi. Worked like a champ.

However, I have since purchased a small portable 12 volt air compressor that works pretty good. They are sold at stores like Pep Boys and Autozone for about $50 bucks. It much more powerful than the small ones everyplace sells for around $25 bucks. It will air up a stock MTR from 15 psi to 33 psi in about 3 to 4 minutes. Not a bad time for the price.

I was thinking of doing this but I never tried it. If it worked so well, why did you buy a portable compressor? In your opinion, which works better, the spare tire or the compressor?
surfcaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2006, 04:43 PM   #34
jdrogers
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfcaster
I was thinking of doing this but I never tried it. If it worked so well, why did you buy a portable compressor? In your opinion, which works better, the spare tire or the compressor?
I got the compressor for several reasons.

1) So I didn't have to remember to go air up the spare every time before going wheeling.

2) The spare did not hold enough air to get the tires back up to normal street pressure. It was enough to drive home, but I would still have to go air up that last little bit.

3) If you have a tire problem and have to use the spare, then you no longer have a means to air up when you're done.

4) The compressor comes in handy helping others...
jdrogers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2006, 06:29 PM   #35
Bigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyc
My calculations put the tank at 146 psi after filling a 1 gallon tire 20 psi. However a 1 gallon tire is tiny. The tire in your example below is over 40 gallons.

Trick question: the tank doesn't change size, so there are still 23 gallons of air. The pressure has changed. If anyone is curious what the pressure would be:

If you assume a perfectly cylindrical tire on a 12.5" wide rim (probably not the case), then your tire is 48.6 gallons. Starting with a 23gal tank at 200 psi and a 48.6 gal tire at 10 psi, and ending with a 48.6 gal tire at 27 psi, the tank (still at 23 gallons) would have a pressure of 164 psi.
LOL You are an egghead aren't ya! I just wanted to catch someone trying to figure out how many gallons of air is left in the tank. And try to get across that hauling around a 5 gallon tank with 150PSI of air in it is sort of senseless.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Unread 12-13-2006, 07:40 PM   #36
mountravlr

Warn to the Rescue

Now that warn makes a combo air compressor/winch it may solve some problems. The compressor is substantial and will operate small impact wrenches in addition to the tire issues.
mountravlr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2006, 08:33 PM   #37
scottyc
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
LOL You are an egghead aren't ya!

scottyc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2006, 08:46 PM   #38
Bayou Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountravlr
Now that warn makes a combo air compressor/winch it may solve some problems. The compressor is substantial and will operate small impact wrenches in addition to the tire issues.
Only problem is that it's huge and blocks a to of airflow to the radiator. Might not be a big deal in the north, but for us down here that see 100+ that ain't gunna work.
Bayou Boy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2006, 09:51 PM   #39
Border Dave
Got Sand?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
And try to get across that hauling around a 5 gallon tank with 150PSI of air in it is sort of senseless.
Not if you don't have a compressor and the nearest gas station is 20 miles away! At least you'd be able to air up enough to get on the highway to get to the gas station.

http://www.clavicle3.com

http://www.jeepwest.com
Border Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2006, 10:57 PM   #40
Bigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyc

I meant it in a good way of course. I failed math all the time so the only thing "egghead" about me is my scrambled brains.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Unread 12-15-2006, 07:17 AM   #41
Poor Boy
All Around Nice Guy

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayou Boy
Only problem is that it's huge and blocks a to of airflow to the radiator. Might not be a big deal in the north, but for us down here that see 100+ that ain't gunna work.
it also violates the KISS principle. if something goes wrong with everything that is involved in the unit, you are out of a) recovery and b) air.
i'd rather eat up space with trail gear than be stuck out there...
Feed my girlfriend.

Follow my girlfriend

Brew what you drink, drink what you brew

USN Hull number 54
Poor Boy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.