On board air system - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > On board air system

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft tops

Unread 12-11-2006, 12:13 PM   #16
The Mean Fish
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Have you thought about using C02 instead of a compressor and air tank? A 10lb C02 tank will fit inside any Jeep on a mount and doesn't require any wiring or install work really.

The Mean Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2006, 03:00 PM   #17
surfcaster
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mean Fish
Have you thought about using C02 instead of a compressor and air tank? A 10lb C02 tank will fit inside any Jeep on a mount and doesn't require any wiring or install work really.

I have a 5 lb CO2 tank that is hooked up to my fish tank. It is larger than my portable compressor. I want to eliminate all the "extras" that I need to take with me when I go wheeling. The less I need to remember to take, the better.
surfcaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2006, 04:05 PM   #18
The Mean Fish
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfcaster
I have a 5 lb CO2 tank that is hooked up to my fish tank. It is larger than my portable compressor. I want to eliminate all the "extras" that I need to take with me when I go wheeling. The less I need to remember to take, the better.
All you'll need is a regulator and hose fittings to fill tires. I carry a 10lb C02 made by power tank and I can usually go wheeling 5 full trips using it for airing up daily and running air tools before I have to get it filled. Around here it's about 9$ to have it filled and it'll put any pump based OBA system to shame when it comes to CFM and speed of airing up tires. Many people claim that it's trash because it will eventually run out but I wheeled Moab for 5 days straight airing up my 35s every day from 8 to 25 psi and also airing up a buddy for 3 days and I used 1/2 a tank of C02.
Unread 12-11-2006, 05:33 PM   #19
surfcaster
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mean Fish
All you'll need is a regulator and hose fittings to fill tires. I carry a 10lb C02 made by power tank and I can usually go wheeling 5 full trips using it for airing up daily and running air tools before I have to get it filled. Around here it's about 9$ to have it filled and it'll put any pump based OBA system to shame when it comes to CFM and speed of airing up tires. Many people claim that it's trash because it will eventually run out but I wheeled Moab for 5 days straight airing up my 35s every day from 8 to 25 psi and also airing up a buddy for 3 days and I used 1/2 a tank of C02.
OK, my interest is peaked, but during the summer months I air down EVERY day so filling a CO2 tank weekly is out of the question. Instead of having it filled all the time, is it possible that you can fill it yourself using air instead of CO2? The tank is rated for a much higher pressure than a regular air tank, can you install a check valve inline from the compressor to the tank and use a high rated pressure switch, or just monitor it until it's filled. Do you think this is possible?
Unread 12-11-2006, 08:55 PM   #20
neZZr
Lifted/Locked/Rolled/Sunk

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
OK, my interest is peaked, but during the summer months I air down EVERY day so filling a CO2 tank weekly is out of the question. Instead of having it filled all the time, is it possible that you can fill it yourself using air instead of CO2? The tank is rated for a much higher pressure than a regular air tank, can you install a check valve inline from the compressor to the tank and use a high rated pressure switch, or just monitor it until it's filled. Do you think this is possible?
Even so, filling it with air is not practical. If CO2 tanks are comparable to scuba tanks, you could go up to 3000psi, but I'm not sure where you would find an air source that could pressurize the tank over 200psi or so... except a scuba shop or something. You certainly could not air it up yourself to those kind of pressures. But at that point, for the cost you might as well get it filled with CO2.

The difference is that CO2 is stored as a liquid, and because of this it is capable of airing up MANY more tires than a similarly sized air tank... As the liquid evaporates it expands greatly, which is why it can fill so many tires (and why it gets very cold as it is being used)

I'll be Savvy someday!
neZZr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2006, 08:58 PM   #21
The Mean Fish
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
You'll never get 3000 psi of air into a tank yourself, C02 is stored in the bottle as a liquid and as you allow it to expand it becomes a gas which then is regulated and fills your tires.
Unread 12-12-2006, 03:33 PM   #22
surfcaster
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Well, I guess I'm stuck with my portable compressor.... I was reading a spec on one of Viair's systems. It noted that you can fill a 33 in tire from 15 psi to 32 psi in 2 minutes and 50 secs. I found this a little odd because my portable RECHARGABLE BATTERY compressor does the same thing (if not a few seconds faster)!! I don't get it, I thought having the onboard system would speed it up.

Last edited by surfcaster; 12-12-2006 at 03:54 PM..
Unread 12-12-2006, 03:42 PM   #23
Hip2u77
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Well, I guess I'm stuck with my portable compressor.... I was reading a spec on one of Viair's systems. It noted that you can fill a 33 in tire from 15 psi to 32 psi in 2 minutes and 50 secs. I found this alitle odd because my portable RECHARGABLE BATTERY compressor does the same thing (if not a few seconds faster)!! I don't get it, I thought having the onboard system would speed it up.

What size tire you filling up? What kind of compressor do you have now, and have you actually timed it?

The cheap ($60) Superflow MV-50 Compressor that TeamCNY linked to will fill my 32" Rubicon tire from 20 to 37 PSI in 2:00. (Timed)
Hip2u77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2006, 03:57 PM   #24
surfcaster
2006 LJ Wrangler 

My portable is a Campbell Hausfeld. When I come off the beach to air up, (20 to 32) 32" tire. I hook up the pump to the first tire and then light a cigarette, by the time I finish my cig, all 4 four tires are done and the compressor is back in the vehicle. My guess is 6 to 7 minutes for 4 tires.
Unread 12-12-2006, 05:23 PM   #25
americanian

Quote:
I used to own a 98 ranger with an airbag suspension and I ran a Scuba tank and kept a Viair 450 as a backup. The Scuba tank is world's better than using a compressor. For what you're talking about doing, the Scuba tank would last nearly a month (if not more). When you need to fill it, drive to a local scuba shop and they'll fill it for $2-3. The nice thing about scuba tanks is they fill them for you on the spot (less than 5 minutes), it's easy they just hook it up to a machine. It will take a lot less time driving to a scuba shop once or twice a month and getting that tank filled than sitting around waiting on a compressor.
americanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2006, 06:37 PM   #26
surfcaster
2006 LJ Wrangler 

If this was made for a jeep, it would solve all the air problems. This thing looks pretty powerful.

http://www.vmac.ca/index.php?webpromo
Unread 12-12-2006, 08:36 PM   #27
Border Dave
Got Sand?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

I think a York system might be just a little more practical and economical, but the VMAC system is really cool.
Border Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2006, 05:06 AM   #28
neZZr
Lifted/Locked/Rolled/Sunk

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
If this was made for a jeep, it would solve all the air problems. This thing looks pretty powerful.

http://www.vmac.ca/index.php?webpromo
That is exactly what the Kilby/York setup is. The compressor VMAC is using is a sanden style like what your A/C uses... York is what many manufacturers used for A/C years ago.

I'll be Savvy someday!
neZZr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2006, 12:14 PM   #29
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I did this .. set it up for my pickup ...

http://members.shaw.ca/snowjeep/modi.../compress1.htm
  • Silver 2006 TJ Unlimited, zombie ready as the daily-driver
  • a Kawasaki KLR650 DualSport bike

- - - - - - -TEOTWAWKI- - - - - - -

NaeKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2006, 12:46 PM   #30
jdrogers
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamCNY
How's this, for an answer....

Add 10 psi to your spare tire, for every tire you need to air up. Spare starts at 30psi, ad 40 psi. Now you can air up your tires from your spare! Hahahahahaha

Watch out, as the spare gets warm, the pressure increases in the sun.... BOOM!

- - - - - - For those who are reading this, I'm kidding. Don't do this. - - - - - -
Now wait a minute... I used to do this all the time on my 2004 Rubicon.

The stock MTRs are rated to maximum load at something like 85 psi. This maximum psi is right on the side of the tire. I would fill the spare tire to 80 or 85 psi before a wheeling trip and then use this air to refill the other 4 tires. It was enough air to go from around 15 psi back to about 30 psi. Worked like a champ.

However, I have since purchased a small portable 12 volt air compressor that works pretty good. They are sold at stores like Pep Boys and Autozone for about $50 bucks. It much more powerful than the small ones everyplace sells for around $25 bucks. It will air up a stock MTR from 15 psi to 33 psi in about 3 to 4 minutes. Not a bad time for the price.
jdrogers is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.