Blood, sweat and beers... a.k.a. voodooJK build. - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Blood, sweat and beers... a.k.a. voodooJK build.

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!XJ Rail Sale!

Unread 09-03-2009, 03:16 PM   #76
Rocketbass88
1986 CJ7 

I've seen them at the New Belgium brewery in Ft. Collins.

Unread 09-03-2009, 03:24 PM   #77
shockwave562
2009 JK Wrangler 

wow impressive work. I wish I could do half of that. and I was proud to put my suspension lifts on.

I would love to get a rear bumper like that on my Jeep. Since I'm in Denver you might pm me if you're interested in working something out. I love learning new things. especially when it comes to my Jeep
'99 WJ Laredo
'94 YJ SE

Join our Colorado Jeep Club on facebook:

[url]http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/group.php?gid=55632382649&ref=ts[/url]

Last edited by shockwave562; 09-03-2009 at 03:40 PM..
shockwave562 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2009, 03:30 PM   #78
rballman
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockwave562 View Post
wow impressive work. I wish I could do half of that. and I was proud to put my suspension lifts on
x2

10 char

Colorado Jeep Club member #2007

My JK Build Thread
rballman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2009, 03:36 PM   #79
newracer
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Very nice work and I like the design. Might have to steel the ideas when I build some bumpers for my JK.
newracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2009, 03:44 PM   #80
shockwave562
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by newracer View Post
Very nice work and I like the design. Might have to steel the ideas when I build some bumpers for my JK.
I know it's a pun but be honest, was it on purpose?

I say that because when I was in 6th grade I learned what a pun was after accidentaly using one very well on an English paper. (I think it helped my grade out though)
'99 WJ Laredo
'94 YJ SE

Join our Colorado Jeep Club on facebook:

[url]http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/group.php?gid=55632382649&ref=ts[/url]
shockwave562 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2009, 05:18 PM   #81
newracer
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I didn't even notice, I was thinking about steel, welding, etc and I just typed it.
newracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2009, 02:26 PM   #82
last5liter
2007 JK Wrangler 

Nice work, have you tested them on the trail yet?
07' 2dr X model. Auto with 4:10's on 35" goodyear kevlar's
Blue jeep club member #305
last5liter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2009, 04:59 PM   #83
RacingRandie
2009 JK Wrangler 

Hey Voodoo when you decide to make some new ones for your rig (cause there is something just not right with those) I'll drive out there and take those off your hands so you don't have to worry about disposing of those things. Yeah thats right I'll take time outta my life to come all that way just to help out a fellow jeeper........lol no really AWESOME work those are really nice.
RacingRandie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2009, 05:30 PM   #84
IWantAGladiator
2008 JK Wrangler 

excellent looking work! might be a bit premature in bringing this up, but when you start fabricating stuff for others, make sure you have an attorney draft a usage waiver of liability, and set yourself up to sell your work under an LLC. For years I have made parts for old BMW motorcycles and though none of them were major parts (just sidestands, centerstands, etc) I still made sure that if one of my welds didn't hold and caused an injury, that no one could come after my home and more importantly my Jeep! That said, I have made a nice secondary income from my "hobby". And it certainly paid for all my welders and plasma cutters a few times over. Good luck with it- hope you make a go of it.

I do have one question, which I am pretty sure I know the answer to- you welded flat plates for the front and rear bumpers, but if you had had the steel bent 90 degrees over instead to make your tops and sides, would those edges have been substantially weaker than welded edges? Pretty sure bends would be weaker, but not sure to what degree- certainly far less welding.

BTW your welding is tight, way too good for a 'hobby'- and that was a hella nice shop you fab'd the front bumper in. Do you weld for a living?
IWantAGladiator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2009, 04:36 PM   #85
voodooJK
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by last5liter View Post
Nice work, have you tested them on the trail yet?
Yeah, I used one of the front Drings to pull a stock X Unlimited out of 3' of snow. I've been on some rocky stuff and the rear bumper/carrier with a 37' spare is pretty quiet, so yeah, so far I'm very pleased.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacingRandie View Post
Hey Voodoo when you decide to make some new ones for your rig (cause there is something just not right with those) I'll drive out there and take those off your hands so you don't have to worry about disposing of those things. Yeah thats right I'll take time outta my life to come all that way just to help out a fellow jeeper........lol no really AWESOME work those are really nice.
If you drove all the way here from NY I just might be tempted to let ya have the front one, after my new one is finished of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWantAGladiator View Post
excellent looking work! might be a bit premature in bringing this up, but when you start fabricating stuff for others, make sure you have an attorney draft a usage waiver of liability, and set yourself up to sell your work under an LLC. For years I have made parts for old BMW motorcycles and though none of them were major parts (just sidestands, centerstands, etc) I still made sure that if one of my welds didn't hold and caused an injury, that no one could come after my home and more importantly my Jeep! That said, I have made a nice secondary income from my "hobby". And it certainly paid for all my welders and plasma cutters a few times over. Good luck with it- hope you make a go of it.

I do have one question, which I am pretty sure I know the answer to- you welded flat plates for the front and rear bumpers, but if you had had the steel bent 90 degrees over instead to make your tops and sides, would those edges have been substantially weaker than welded edges? Pretty sure bends would be weaker, but not sure to what degree- certainly far less welding.

BTW your welding is tight, way too good for a 'hobby'- and that was a hella nice shop you fab'd the front bumper in. Do you weld for a living?
Thanks for the advice. I don't really have plans to make bumpers, but if I ever make stuff for people, I'll keep that in mind. Speaking of motorcycles, you can see some of my Ducati stuff here: Some pics of my new exhaust.

The shop I am in currently is a Porsche/Audi dealership. There is a MIG welder at work and I have a TIG welder at home. I used to work for a high end Porsche shop that I did some fab at. I mostly built turbo race and high performance street engines up to 1000 hp. It was called Imagine Auto and they have recently closed. We had cars in European Car and Excellence magazines. I did some fab, but no, I don't fab for a living. In my opinion, the pay is too low. I know some people make a good living with it though. I just like to do it for fun and satisfaction.

Updated pics with meaty tires.

The 37" spare bolted right up.

I also fabbed up a gas/water can mount.

Thanks for looking.

Colorado Jeep Club member #959

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy Wonka View Post
What you are witnessing, dear friends, is the most enormous miracle of the machine age.
voodooJK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2009, 05:48 PM   #86
IWantAGladiator
2008 JK Wrangler 

Thought I saw a rocket in the background of one of your pics!

Whose fender flares are those? Look like chopped stock but very clean. Nice to be able to do your own work, huh? I just sold my house with shop in back, had TiG & MiG & plasma with air cleaner, basically anything you'd need to fab up some nice product. Now everything is packed up for the next year, and I am already jonesing to build some parts for my rubi.

Rear bumper looks great, I would have put a rolled piece of steel in the tire cutout... but yours goes better with the look of the JK.
IWantAGladiator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2009, 06:42 PM   #87
06WranglerX
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Excellent job on those parts jeep looks great.

People need to be a little more trusting, Its not like we are on a convict and rapist forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Upon further reflection I've decided I've had enough of this BS and you are now on my ignore list.

06 Red Wrangler X 6 speed hard top
Ford 8.8 Detroit locked, 4 inches of lift, 33 inch BFG KM2's and some other stuff.
06WranglerX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2009, 07:01 PM   #88
BigMikeATL
2014 JK Wrangler 

Man, those are some awesome skills. Those bumpers are better than anything I've seen on the market. How about a year's supply of beer for a set?
BigMikeATL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2009, 07:18 PM   #89
voodooJK
2008 JK Wrangler 

My jerrycan holder only came with a cloth strap and crappy plastic buckle.

Soooo, I bought a latch, some metal and a lock...

Bent the metal, welded on the latch and took it to the paint booth and did a professional rattlecan paint job ...

It didn't weld as good as I like because I didn't get all the coating off the latch, but it'll be ok.

It's definitely more secure than what it came with and it'll be a little harder for it to grow legs.

Colorado Jeep Club member #959

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy Wonka View Post
What you are witnessing, dear friends, is the most enormous miracle of the machine age.

Last edited by voodooJK; 12-15-2009 at 10:36 PM..
voodooJK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2009, 12:56 AM   #90
adamisadam
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoocati View Post
You guys are awesome! I definitely appreciate the props!!

I'm sure we can work something out.

Thanks, it's up at Middle St. Vrain.

That steel plate IS the bumper. It's the first piece, I got it where I wanted it and welded the studs on. Then the D-ring mounts are welded directly in the center of those... so it's like a large bolt on recovery point.

I got this done tonight...

NICE! I LIKE IT!
Last Jeep: 2009 JK Rubicon Unlimited
Sunburst Orange
adamisadam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.