Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Blood, sweat and beers... a.k.a. voodooJK build.

253K views 556 replies 173 participants last post by  WiscoJeepGuy 
#1 ·
I bought some 6 x 3/16" steel and built a front stubby bumper...

Studs

I don't do much MIG welding, mostly TIG, but it didn't turn out too bad...

Grinding down the welds...

I used the MIG welder at work. I recently moved and had no 220 outlet in the garage to run my TIG, as soon as I did I made a bar and got some d-ring mounts on. Eventually it'll have a winch so I can't put the stock fogs back in the center, so I mounted some Hellas.

I got the 220v outlet wired up in the garage and fired up the TIG for the first time this year. I'm a little rusty, but it didn't turn out too bad. I used some angle iron and made some light mounts...

See less See more
#148 ·
I had totally planned to do the bike rack thing with a ski rack for my snowboards! Awesome!

Love the work, the guns, everything!

#149 ·
I had totally planned to do the bike rack thing with a ski rack for my snowboards! Awesome!

Love the work, the guns, everything!
Thanks. Do it! I've been trying to get rballman to put a hitch on the hoopty, a few pieces of 2" and 1" square tubing and make snowboard rack right over the spare, easy.

Voodoocati, I need those bumpers in 1/10 scale for my Axial SCX10.:D
How close are you to Littleton?

#151 ·
do you think it'd be possible to sit the solenoid box inside the bumper, off to one side? i'd like to have my winch mounted behind my bumper, completely hidden, and i want the solenoid box as low profile as possible. PM?

#163 ·
Thanks, glad people like my effort!

I don't think I could afford government 8x10s! That grainy, crappy online pic was pricey enough!

Yep, speed trap. The limit is 45, changes to 40 and there is a van with someone sitting in it right after the change. It's on 285 near High Country 4x4.

Ryan, you should make some 'Chris Hanson is my homeboy' shirts and I'll buy two!

So far I haven't had a single problem with any of my SIGs and I can tell already I'm going to love the 556!

#165 ·
I made a trip to the store and picked up an inexpensive air compressor. This is strictly for airing up tires. This is how I mounted it to the JK.

I removed the cover, removed the switch and will wire a switch in to the cabin.

The pump does not use standard size fitting, so a 7/16 drill bit and 1/4 tap solved that problem.

#166 ·
I added a 1/4 NPT tee, barb and a compressor pressure release safety valve rated at 50psi.

At 50psi it releases pressure which is very important if you want to use standard air chucks on this pump without fear of burning out the pump.

Couldn't have done this without a helper.

Now I need to mount the pump. This took me a while and I finally settled on a spot and make a bracket real quick.

Painted it...

... and here it sits. This location wasn't my idea, it's been done. I'm not entirely happy with it, but it'll work for now. There's plenty of room for working on the JK engine, but not much space for mounting a compressor.

#167 ·
The pump comes with clamps for the battery, I cut those off so I could permantly mount it. I used the boots from the clamps to identify + and -. I ran the wires for the switch through the firewall.

Now I just need to route my air lines. I settled on the sides. I was going to run one at the front and one at the back, but I tucked them up between the rock rail and frame for now, that may change later...

#168 ·
Dude, what the heck is your helper? Is it me, or does it look like some sort of skinned lizard lying on the ground? It looks like a bird is on it's butt. My daughter thinks it's a roasted turkey, or a dog.......

Was it your thread that had the weimaraner dog?

Funny!

#170 ·
Dude, what the heck is your helper? Is it me, or does it look like some sort of skinned lizard lying on the ground? It looks like a bird is on it's butt. My daughter thinks it's a roasted turkey, or a dog.......

Was it your thread that had the weimaraner dog?

Funny!
Yep, weim. Rolling around in the grass while I slave away. She's more help than my son, who usally slows me down more than helps, "Dad, turn the welder on for me" "Dad, can I have this?" "Are you almost done, I wanna play Black Ops" "I wanna weld, cut, drill, break that!" :rolleyes:

#169 ·
I used a 1/4" barbed tee and clamped the hoses to that. The hose clamp at the pump unscrews in case I need to remove it. I ran the hose over to the pass. and down right behind the tire. I used 1/4" air hose rated at 200psi.

Side view.

1/4" barb with male 1/4" NPT going in to 1/4" female chuck.

I may make a small skid, relocate them or just see what happens, for the most part their tucked up pretty good. I have plenty of damage to the rails, frame... the muffler is dented in half, but there are no scrapes up where the chuck is mounted.

In the past couple years I know I've spent more and gas stations on air and filled rballman's CO tank once. For under 100 bucks, this will do me fine. :cheers2:

#171 ·
:2thumbsup: rgr. Nice mod

#173 ·
Nicely done! I have the same compressor in the same location under the hood. It works pretty damn good for such a little compressor. I like the way you routed the air lines.

#174 ·
Thanks. I think it'll work great for what I wanted it for. I might get a 10lb co tank and use this is back up in case I run out, can't get the tank filled before a run or someone else needs air.

nice job! this makes a lot more sense to me now that no alcohol is in my system. :) i just nodded the other day when you explained...

black ops!
Brewfest! That was a good time. It was loud in there, I think I did some nods too lol.

#178 ·
Thanks. Lots of lifted JKs in town, huh? Wasn't me though. My wife works down there, but you'd never notice her driving her dull grey Xterra. :D

This is one of the first threads I started following when I came on this forum and I just realized that I have never given you any recognition!
Great build Stephen (voodoocati) :thumbsup:
You have given me much inspiration and great ideas for building my Jeep :tea:
Thank you, very much appreciated! :cheers2:

I really want to make some windshield light brackets today... but the high is gonna be something like 1 degree! :(

#181 ·
:D

^^ oh cmon and get out there! just keep the whiskey flowing!
lol I don't have any whiskey. I have Black Ops... inside, by the fireplace!

Besides, whiskey makes me crazy, I'll wake up in jail tomorrow for choking out the neighbor and shooting his cat! :cheers2:

#183 ·
I froze my kiwis off. I don't think I can have kids anymore, but I'm not sure that's a bad thing.
Looks damn good wanna fab me up some?? :D

Oh Ive been trying to do that for year:2thumbsup:s

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.