Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Blood, sweat and beers... a.k.a. voodooJK build.

253K views 556 replies 173 participants last post by  WiscoJeepGuy 
#1 ·
I bought some 6 x 3/16" steel and built a front stubby bumper...

Studs

I don't do much MIG welding, mostly TIG, but it didn't turn out too bad...

Grinding down the welds...

I used the MIG welder at work. I recently moved and had no 220 outlet in the garage to run my TIG, as soon as I did I made a bar and got some d-ring mounts on. Eventually it'll have a winch so I can't put the stock fogs back in the center, so I mounted some Hellas.

I got the 220v outlet wired up in the garage and fired up the TIG for the first time this year. I'm a little rusty, but it didn't turn out too bad. I used some angle iron and made some light mounts...

See less See more
#107 ·
Nice work on the bumper.

What are you using to cut 4/16" steel sheets?

#112 ·
I cant believe your using a sawzall! That cant be too fun.

PS. This thread inspired me to make my front bumper. Thanks, you jeep looks awesome.
That's awesome, that front bumper is really simple and you can fab it in a day. In 3/16" it's strong and and not very heavy. If I hit something hard enough to damage that bumper, I can bet the frame is gonna be bent too. Good luck! Post a pic in here when you get it completed. :cheers2:

I love your rear bumper. It is my favorite bumper I have seen made for the JK.

Good good work! :2thumbsup:

and I am in Denver right now but if you want me to take your GTI wheels up here just let me know. I will be headed back to CO on the 15th.
Thanks, that back bumper was a pain to build! IM sent. :D

#116 ·
Thanks. Once upon a time I built race and high power street driven Porsches. The last car I worked on was a 996 twin turbo that made almost 1,000 hp. Pics of car...

I did some fabrication when I worked there, but no, I don't do fab for a living. It's just a hobby.

Yep, that's my inspiration, but i just used a piece of stainless steel I had in the garage and made my own in a few minutes.

#120 ·
I used two kinds. Not sure if it's mentioned somewhere, but they both work good. One is Dupli-Color bedliner and one is Rust-Oleum bedliner, both rattle can. The Dupli-Color is more durable, rubberized and harder the feather/sand. The Rust-Oleum has a nicer looking texure and matches the plastic trim a little better, it's easier to sand and is a little less durable, but not much. Rust-Oleum is a couple bucks cheaper.

I don't use the Dupli-color unless I know I'm done welding on something. I've had countless amounts of parts powdercoated over the years, but I like this stuff 'cause it's cheap, durable and my stuff gets beat up, so I can just touch it up if I tear it up crawling. I used the Rust-Oleum on the fenders too, so it all kinda matches.

#123 ·
Depends on what you want. I think I broke down my metal materials in the beginning of the thread. Don't forget welding gas/wire/rod, sanding disks, paint, blood... I got stitches building my bike exhaust, but I didn't factor that into the cost. :D

I'm not sure if you already do fab work, want to do it for fun or to save $. But don't forget your time. I can make enough money on any given day to pay for an aftermarket bumper. So if it takes me a couple days to make one, it'd really be cheaper to just buy one. I'd still rather hang out in the garage, drink some beer and build my own stuff. Good luck.

:cheers2:

#127 ·
Voodoo,
Do you have any info on your suspension, doesn't look stock, and nothing in your sig or profile, that is the look I'm going for when I get my Rubi Unlimited.

Thanks

#128 ·
I have a 2.5" suspension lift, 1" body lift, 37x13.5" Mickey Baja Claws and the flat fenders. I might go with a 3.5" lift and 38" MTRs later this year. It works ok for now...

Keeping with the origin of the thread, I've used the front and rear D-rings for several recoveries off and on road and they have done great. I've pulled out an XJ, WJ and JK Unlimited no problem. No rattles off road and they've been smashed on rocks with no more than scratches in the paint. :cheers2:

#129 ·
#134 ·
I plan on building a new front bumper with winch mount, so talk to me later and I'll hook ya up, if you want the one that's on there now. :thumbsup: I've got no idea how crazy shipping would be though.

Subscribed :thumbsup: Hope we can wheel sometime soon (we're going to Chinamans on the 22nd, hope to see you there) so I can check out your rig in more detail :D
I need to wheel again soon!

simply beautiful! red Jeeps always are :thumbsup:

if I ever win the lotto (fingers crossed) and get the JK Rubi I want, I'm going to pester you into making a rear bumper for me :D
Thanks. Deal. :cheers2:

#136 ·
awesome build up! Can't wait to start on mine. Perhaps I'll swipe some scrap at work to practice on. You ever get a winch mounted in yours?

#137 ·
KSARG1 said:
Any idea how much it weights? And do you have a time frame of the new bumper?
Not sure how much it weighs, but I can just build you one if you want one sooner. I might start a new rear bumper next week, if anyone wants one of those.

#138 ·
Nice work. It's great that you spent the time to record it all. Inspiring!

If you are bldg and selling, you should inquire into some manufacturers and patent your creation(s). The ability you built into your rear bumper to add mounts like you did is very creative and not seen anywhere on the aftermarket world. I could see various different uses for those: 2 of which you already made. Pretty bada**!

How much? lol

:cheers2:

#141 ·
Cleaning out my Subscribed Threads folder and decided to come back for a read-thru.......Any new creations?

#143 ·
Code:
Ever use one of those trunk mounted bike racks with the straps? I took one of those apart and fabbed it to fit the Jeep.

Halloween came, made some decals and dressed it up for Halloween.

I fabricated a target stand and we headed to the mountains to shoot one of my Xmas gifts, a SIG 556.

It was snowing too much and I knew we wouldn't find our casings, so I decided to go home. My kid was so excited to shoot, so I let him shoot a couple rounds. (I didn't realize his glasses weren't on, fixed it after the pics)

It was a little heavy for him, so I let him at the subcompact.

Went back the next weekend with my new target stand.

When we got home, I found a box a team left for me.

I said my goodbyes to my hoop and light mounts... some assembly required... :(

7"x1/4" plate inside.

Then da hoopty stopped by with beer. :drool:

And trackbars...

#144 ·
Then I got back to re-installing my hoop... after I lengthened it 2". Thank you Dr Porkenheimer's Boner Juice! And painted it.

Almost ready to rescue me some Hummers!

#145 ·
Z.O.R.T.!!! That is funny shi* :2thumbsup:

Nice fab work bro.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.