Black Magic Brakes- JK Front Very Large Brake Kit - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Black Magic Brakes- JK Front Very Large Brake Kit

Jeep Liberty Wheel Bearing & Hub - FrontSAVE BIG: Christmas in July Sale!Jeep Liberty Window Regulator

Unread 07-25-2013, 05:21 PM   #1
cvd
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Black Magic Brakes- JK Front Very Large Brake Kit

Ive been using the new Black Magic JK Front Very Large Brake Kit for several weeks and thought Id share my observations:

Background: My jeep is a TJ with JK Rubicon axles front and rear. Its has a frame stretch, 3 link front, triangulated 4 link rear. You can read details in my profile, but the key point is its running JK axles, axle shafts, and brakes. They are turning/stopping 37 Goodyear MTRs on Raceline beedlocks (approx. 115 lbs per corner).

First Brakes: As part of the build that included the JK axles and 37 tires, we installed the only JK brake upgrade on the market (this was early 2011), the Teraflex JK Big Brake Kit. The kit looked impressive: dual piston calipers, 13+ rotors, and fresh pads. We also installed a larger bore master cylinder, per Teraflex recommendation.

I was unimpressed with the braking performance. It wasnt terrible, but was about on par with how my TJ previously had performed with 33 tires and completely stock brakes. It did stop (wasnt a disaster waiting to happen), but didnt provide a lot of confidence.

2d Brakes: After about year, I tried a prototype set of brakes that used OEM calipers (single piston), a 13 rotor, and Black Magic pads (a custom bracket positioned the OEM calipers properly for the oversized rotors).

This new setup provided a clear improvement over the first kit. Once broken in (which all pads need), I did have reasonable braking in a panic situation. I now had more confidence. But they still werent what Id call impressive. Blaine, the prototype designer, kept asking for feedback. All I could say was they are better than before, now they are ok. This combination was never marketed. By looking at the components, its similar to the Road Race kit (which I havent used).

3d Brakes: Blaine called about 2 months ago and said hed finally traced down the suppliers to assemble what he hoped would be a bolt-in JK kit that he could stand behind. He installed it and Ive been driving now for approx. 6 weeks. This is now in limited release as the "JK Front Very Large Brake Kit (link below).

This setup exceeds braking performance on anything Ive previously had with any configuration of brakes and tires (i.e. stock brakes and 30 tires, EBC yellow stuff pads and 33s, Teraflex kit and 37s, etc.). Once broken in, I have easy stopping in normal situations and plenty of reserve stopping in panic situations.

One way to describe them is via panic stop testing. Id get up to 50 55 mph and stomp on the brakes. Id go into a full skid. This was not my intent and Id immediately release a little pressure to make it a more controlled stop. My point is I could now control the stop to what ever rate of braking I wanted. With either of the previous brakes, a full stomp would result in decent braking, but not something that needed to be controlled or modulated. BTW my TJ doesnt have ABS. Id imagine a JK with these brakes and ABS would be very impressive.

Bottom line this Black Magic kit is the only JK braking solution Ive tried that I can call impressive.

http://shop.blackmagicbrakes.com/JK-...BK-JK-VLBK.htm

cvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2013, 05:26 PM   #2
Filthy-Beast
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the review, Mr blaine know his brakes. I added this to my list of future mods.

For Sale: 2013 4dr JK Painted black Hard Top JKUR 18/59 springs and shocks

97 TJ: daughter 1 - 2.5L, Auto, 2" BB, 31" GY Duratrac
98 TJ: Daugher 2 - 4.0L, 5spd, D44 rear
06 LJ Rubicon: mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
13 JKU Rubicon: Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2013, 05:39 PM   #3
SoK66
1976 CJ5 

I've had the TF kit on for nearly three years and 20k miles now. Major improvement over the stock 12" single piston setup. Only gripe I've had is overly long pedal stroke. How would you compare the two systems performance wise?
SoK66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2013, 10:07 PM   #4
cvd
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

For me, the Teraflex brakes were marginal stopping my 37’s(see “First Brakes”). Major improvement with the new Black Magic kit (“3’d Brakes”).
Unread 07-26-2013, 07:40 AM   #5
SoK66
1976 CJ5 

What was "marginal" about them? I have 37" MTR/Ks.
SoK66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2013, 09:08 AM   #6
cvd
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Too much peddle pressure required; and even when "stomped on", too little braking. Again, not terrible, but I expected more. "2'd Brakes" above definitely were an improvement. "3'd Brakes" was major improvement.
Unread 07-26-2013, 10:12 AM   #7
BamaJeepman21
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvd View Post
Too much peddle pressure required; and even when "stomped on", too little braking. Again, not terrible, but I expected more. "2'd Brakes" above definitely were an improvement. "3'd Brakes" was major improvement.
I've always like more pressure compared to tapping the brakes and being able to lock up. IMO it just feels more in control and balanced.

-Jack
BamaJeepman21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2013, 10:23 AM   #8
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaJeepman21 View Post
I've always like more pressure compared to tapping the brakes and being able to lock up. IMO it just feels more in control and balanced.
There is some confusion. More pedal pressure in this case means you push them all the way to the floor as opposed to increase pedal feel where you have a higher harder pedal due to improper master cylinder bore size.

None of these products are able to have the pedal "tapped" and lock up the brakes at 55 mph.

Now, OTOH, if you did want some that could do that, give me a call and I'll build them for you. Bring lots of money.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.