Bits of rust all over the garage floor under Jeep - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Bits of rust all over the garage floor under Jeep

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 07-20-2010, 02:31 PM   #1
NUTSgoWEEE
2008 JK Wrangler 

Bits of rust all over the garage floor under Jeep

First Post
2008 2dr JK 3.8L 6-speed 13k miles Sahara edition
Lately there's been rust flakes/bits scattered in an area under where the Jeep parks in the garage. Seems to be on the drivers side centered front and back and covers an area front to back of about 2 feet. Haven't had a chance to crawl under and check it out yet, just wondering if this is a common problem or anything. Didn't see any stickys or anything about it.

Thanks

NUTSgoWEEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2010, 02:34 PM   #2
DeepSky
2007 JK Wrangler 

Could be coming from one of the catalytic converters. Mine are so rusty they are starting to flake.
Unread 07-20-2010, 02:43 PM   #3
NUTSgoWEEE
2008 JK Wrangler 

Yeah I suppose while it's cooling off/contracting it could drop rust everywhere if it's rusted. The mufflers already starting to rust too... cheap metal
Unread 07-20-2010, 02:44 PM   #4
DeepSky
2007 JK Wrangler 

Yeah my entire exhaust system is pretty rusty with the exception of my muffler (I painted it after I had it installed).
Unread 07-20-2010, 02:45 PM   #5
NUTSgoWEEE
2008 JK Wrangler 

Alright well I'll have a look at it later. Thanks for the quick response
Unread 07-20-2010, 02:51 PM   #6
Avian
2008 JK Wrangler 

My muffler was rusting when it was still on the dealer's lot with 20 miles on it.

My exhaust system is really hit with rust. Especially upstream where its hottest. The mud clings to it and just eats it up.
Uniden Bearcat CB/PA
Mopar bumper
Moabs/ BFG KM's
Avian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2010, 02:54 PM   #7
NUTSgoWEEE
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avian View Post
My exhaust system is really hit with rust. Especially upstream where its hottest. The mud clings to it and just eats it up.
Not much mud yet but the salt here in the winter doesn't help. Can only afford to wash the cars so many times a week...
Unread 07-20-2010, 02:55 PM   #8
DeepSky
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUTSgoWEEE View Post
Alright well I'll have a look at it later. Thanks for the quick response
NP. If it is just your exhaust I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. It's an extremely common occurrence.
Unread 07-20-2010, 02:58 PM   #9
NUTSgoWEEE
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepSky View Post
NP. If it is just your exhaust I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. It's an extremely common occurrence.
Wasn't planning on it, honestly I was more concerned about the garage floor. Just had it coated and finished all nice and the rust bits get wet and stain it... oh well.
Unread 07-20-2010, 09:33 PM   #10
fernjack
2007 JK Wrangler 

It's funny how all the manufatures sell cat back stainless systems but I've yet to see from the manifolds to the cats then to the cat back stainless . Anyone hear of such a beast ...... and OEM stye just stainless for when it does finally rot through ?
fernjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2010, 09:35 PM   #11
fernjack
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUTSgoWEEE View Post
Wasn't planning on it, honestly I was more concerned about the garage floor. Just had it coated and finished all nice and the rust bits get wet and stain it... oh well.
A little CLR mixture will clean your shop floor .
fernjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2010, 07:51 AM   #12
NUTSgoWEEE
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernjack View Post
It's funny how all the manufatures sell cat back stainless systems but I've yet to see from the manifolds to the cats then to the cat back stainless . Anyone hear of such a beast ...... and OEM stye just stainless for when it does finally rot through ?
Do you mean something similar to this? Magnaflow makes something like that but not for the JK yet apparently. Comes with a high-flow catalytic converter and nice mandrel bent stainless pipes so it should give a slight performance increase combined with a cat-back system. Not sure if it would mess with the o2 sensor readings though (assuming there is one between the cat and cat-back) and throw a DTC

Tags
exhaust rust , JK Wrangler , rust , rust on ground , rust problem , wrangler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.