Bike Rack (Spare Tire) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Bike Rack (Spare Tire)

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-15-2014, 01:33 PM   #1
IntrepidTravelr
2014 JK Wrangler 

Bike Rack (Spare Tire)

OK, I searched the forum and all the relevant posts seemed to be a bit dated. I'm looking for a spare tire mounted bike rack to transport my mountain and road bikes (mostly one or the other). Currently have the factory spare, but getting 35s and the AEV rear bumper and carrier, so weight isn't (much of) an issue.

Criteria are:
  • Mounts to spare, NOT hitch - I do NOT want to lose any angle of departure or clearance (or as little as possible)
  • Keeps bike as high as possible (see above) (NOT roof - don't want them ripped off when wheeling thru trees)
  • Fits my mountain bike (pic below)

Forerunners are the Yakima SpareTime or Thule SpareMe. Yakima seems to have the "fatter" arms, which means less flexibility to accommodate my mountain bike.

Thoughts? Other suggestions?

Thanks!

IntrepidTravelr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2014, 02:28 PM   #2
oconee offroad
Consulting Jeep Needs

1981 CJ7 

JEEP WRANGLER YJ TJ JK 97-14 TWO BIKE TIRE CARRIER RACK

click here to read more....> http://www.oconeeoffroad.com/servlet...CARRIER/Detail

Visit our retail store & 8 Bay Install Shop!
ATHENS, GEORGIA 30606
THE BEST OFF ROAD SHOP IN THE CLASSIC CITY
We carry the Largest assortment of Jeep Restoration Parts and After Market Accessories from 1941-2015 at low prices!
WE PRICE MATCH COMPETITORS!!!!!

Call to Order 706-534-9955
9-6 M-F 10-1 Sat
We take all major credit cards and Paypal

Call or Visit our web site to order. Use JEEP10 Promo Code to save 10%
FREE SHIPPING ON WEBSITE ORDERS OVER $50
www.oconeeoffroad.com
Oconee Off-Road facebook photo page

Contact the owner of the company

oconee offroad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2014, 06:52 PM   #3
splice
2014 JK Wrangler 

This is the one I've been thinking about getting. I've always used Thule and have never been let down. Customer service is great. Always willing to support their customers.

http://www.amazon.com/Thule-Spare-2-...pr_product_top

This is also the cheapest.
splice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2014, 08:47 PM   #4
goodwrenchdave
2008 JK Wrangler 

Had/have both above:
Omix-ADA TIRE CARRIER BIKE RAC F9 76035 11237.10 -> but mine was branded Bic
clamps the tube with too much pressure and will scratch frame if a rag is not placed around frame first- can damage cables too. too little single clamp that stresses bike frame- not recommended!- especially not for composite frames ie: carbonfib.
advantage- a lock could be placed through the clamp hole for added security.

Have the thule and love it. bike is more stable as two hold points further apart.
the "elastics" don't damage frame paint or frame. you best measure the flat points of that bike as I don't know if the arms are at the proper distance. A cross frame adaptor- as recommended for irregular frames (womens bikes etc) would seem to have no place to hold on those handlebars.

***with both you will need either buy the bottom brace to prevent fore/aft rocking (was sold separately but I don't find it anymore) or use a bunch of bungee cords.
goodwrenchdave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2014, 05:59 AM   #5
R3dRid3r
2013 JK Wrangler 

for future reference
Unread 08-18-2014, 09:20 AM   #6
IntrepidTravelr
2014 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the info! Here's what I ended up with, and why.

The rack Oconee suggested is out for to reasons: first, my frames are carbon fiber, and any sort of "clamping" rack is a big no no; second, on the mountain bike, there isn't a straight piece of frame on the top tube long enough for that clamp anyway.

That took the choices to three: An Allen rack, which looked flimsy and had stated multiple times "not for off road use" (disqualified at the starting gate); the Yakima Spare Time; and the Thule Spare Me. I was able to find both the Yakima and Thule. The Yakima support tubes were a larger rectangular tube, and would not fit in the bike frame correctly. Also, reviews I read of it, and one I saw on another Jeep, said that it rattled around a little bit as if all the joints weren't tight. The Thule was the one I ended up with, as the arms fit my frame, and it's really a solid rack. Years ago (15?) I had an earlier iteration of this rack that worked quite well. They haven't changed the design much, as it seems to be a functional success.

Pics:

Rack on the tire. I really like how high the arms of this rack sit. It's the highest of the three racks mentioned. This will help me to maintain my angle of departure while off-roading.

Rack with the mountain bike. Note position of support arms (circled). It's on the outermost of the two positions. I don't think I could get it to fit on the inner position, but I haven't really tried. Also, note that the left arm captures the down tube, not the top tube. This keeps the bike sitting higher up still, and safer while off-roading.

Rack with road bike. Again, note arm positions. The arms on this rack are on the wide side, at about 16" IIRC. So it's a tight fir on my road bike, which has a 51cm frame I think. (I have a short inseam.) This configuration has the bike sitting the lowest, with the most potential for catching it on something while off-roading. However, I could remove the front tire, as it's the lowest-hanging piece.

One final observation - I tried these out and purchased them at a bike shop in El Paso - Crazy Cat Cyclery. They were very helpful and knowledgeable, and actually installed it for me on the spot for nothing extra. So kudos to them. I would have preferred REI, as I get the rebate and they have their satisfaction guarantee at all locations, but I was in El Paso, and wanted to give them the business as they were very helpful.

So, I hope this helps others in their decision process. Most likely, you'll need to try your bike on the rack if it's non-standard (like my mountain bike).
Unread 08-18-2014, 09:33 AM   #7
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

That looks pretty good, but

What year is your jeep and hoe much do the bikes weigh ?

JIMBO
JIMBOX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2014, 09:42 AM   #8
IntrepidTravelr
2014 JK Wrangler 

'14 JK Unlimited. Should have said, back bumper is being replaced with an AEV bumper and spare tire rack, so weight won't be an issue. Currently, the mountain bike will be the only one transported, and it's about 30 pounds.
Unread 08-18-2014, 09:55 AM   #9
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

OUTSTANDING-thanx for the note-

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntrepidTravelr View Post
'14 JK Unlimited. Should have said, back bumper is being replaced with an AEV bumper and spare tire rack, so weight won't be an issue. Currently, the mountain bike will be the only one transported, and it's about 30 pounds.
Good day

JIMBO
Unread 08-21-2014, 11:23 AM   #10
R3dRid3r
2013 JK Wrangler 

I'm ready to purchase and like the OP am leaning toward the Thule. The only negatives reported are some folks complaining of cheap hardware [which can be replaced if it is a problem].

Also found this option:

Hollywood Racks SR1 Spare Tire Rack 2-Bike Spare Tire Mount Rack
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

It 'hangs on' rather than bolts to the spare. I wonder if it is a superior design for ease of mounting/un-mounting and the use of gravity rather than hardware to attach.

In Amazon the Thule is rated 4.2 out of 5 while the Hollywood is rated 4.1.

Any experience or thoughts?

Thanks
Unread 08-21-2014, 11:37 AM   #11
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

Just as an observer--the Hollywood rack--looks much more "Theft prone"-because of Rack Installation !

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3dRid3r View Post
I'm ready to purchase and like the OP am leaning toward the Thule. The only negatives reported are some folks complaining of cheap hardware [which can be replaced if it is a problem].

Also found this option:

Hollywood Racks SR1 Spare Tire Rack 2-Bike Spare Tire Mount Rack
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

It 'hangs on' rather than bolts to the spare. I wonder if it is a superior design for ease of mounting/un-mounting and the use of gravity rather than hardware to attach.

In Amazon the Thule is rated 4.2 out of 5 while the Hollywood is rated 4.1.

Any experience or thoughts?

Thanks
The Bolton type/w lockable bike would be more secure, when leaving the jeep !

Whatever !

JIMBO
Unread 08-21-2014, 01:51 PM   #12
IntrepidTravelr
2014 JK Wrangler 

The Hollywood might be more prone to bounce around and come undone or slip sideways, although maybe not. Also, the arms are lower than the Thule, so angle of departure is compromised.
Unread 08-21-2014, 06:32 PM   #13
BacasJK
2011 JK Wrangler 

Bike carrier.

The Thule bike carrier WILL NOT work on over size tires. We have 33s
and there is not enough square tubing bracket from the center of the spare.
It might depend on the wheels too. We have aftermarket wheels with just
5.0 backspacing and still doesn't work. I'm going with the hitch mount bike carrier.

Martin
BacasJK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2014, 12:29 AM   #14
Spicoli

Can we get a picture of the rack from the side of the Jeep? I'd like to see it from all angles.
Spicoli is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2014, 07:07 PM   #15
R3dRid3r
2013 JK Wrangler 

thanks for your replies

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.