Bike rack for 2013 JKUR - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Bike rack for 2013 JKUR

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFF

Unread 12-29-2012, 02:46 PM   #1
varnerme
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Bike rack for 2013 JKUR

I'm looking for a bike rack for my new 2013 JKUR. I want a hitch mount, platform style rack that will fold up when not in use and won't hit the spare tire when folded. I don't want to use an extension on the hitch. I've looked everywhere I know to look and can't find one. Does anyone have one they know will work? I don't want a spare tire rack either. Will use it for between 1 and 4 bikes, mainly just 1 though.

Unread 12-29-2012, 05:19 PM   #2
Taylode
2013 JK Wrangler 

I have a hitch-mount bike rack and could not use it without an extension. I don't leave my rack on so the extension is no big deal to meal. Good luck in your search!.

2013 Jeep JKU Sahara
Taylode is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2012, 08:44 AM   #3
Rivet
1968 C101 

This is what I used on my JK.
http://www.etrailer.com/Trunk-Bike-R...ma/Y02598.html

I chose that style over a hitch mount because they are harder to find with a "swing away" style latch to offer the space to open the rear gate of the Jeep. I wanted access to the rear of my Jeep and have a secure setup for my bike. This was the best one I could find. When properly secured it wont bounce, squeak or rattle.
Rivet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2012, 04:35 PM   #4
gregaf3
2013 JK Wrangler 

The thule 954 clears my poison spider rear tire carrier so it should clear a stock set up. All of the bikes have to be removed to fold it up enough to get the rear gate opened.
Unread 12-30-2012, 07:18 PM   #5
Dan_NTX
2012 JK Wrangler 

I bought a cheapie at Harbor Freight and it clears the spare if you invert the vertical bar when you assemble it. It is designed to lean back into the vehicle at about a 10 degree angle, but I flipped it and re drilled the holes to mount the top bar so I could correct the angle. It works great and for $39 it was worth trying.

I should have just modified a hitch mounted cargo carrier, but thought of that plan too late. It seems like it would be easy to add a carrier to that.
Dan_NTX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2013, 08:55 PM   #6
Thunderstrike
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

1upUSA
Auto, Power, Remote Start, Towing Package, MyGig Navigation with Lockpick, Rear View Camera, B&M 70268 Transmission Cooler, Aeroforce Interceptor, Valentine 1, Tub Sound-Deadened with Raamat and Ensolite, Hard Top Heat Insulated with 1/2" Styrofoam Insulation, Bilstein Shocks Front & Rear, PIAA Dual Horns, IPF 920H4 Headlights.
Protection: Skid Row Engine Skid, Lower Control Arm skid & Evaporator Skid; Rock Hard Gas Tank Skid; Warn Stainless Steel Differential Skid Front & Rear.
Recovery Gear: Warn 9.5Ti Winch, 11,000# Pull-Pal.
Communication: Uniden 520XL CB, Diesel External Speaker, 3' FireStik Whip.
Shrockworks Mid-width Front Bumper with Warn 9.5Ti Winch -- Ordered 7/17/2009; Bumper Received 12/4/2009.
1" Coil Spacer Front & 1/2" Coil Spacer Rear restored OEM Rake.
4x4 Trips:
Moab - 4/2006, 5/2008, 4/2009, 5/2011, 4/2013
Ouray - 8/2007
Rubicon - 9/2008
Gone, but not forgotten: 2004 TJ, 1999 Audi A4, 1992 VW Jetta GL 5 Speed
Thunderstrike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2013, 04:48 AM   #7
varnerme
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderstrike
1upUSA
I've recently looked at those. Does the hitch mounting system work good? I can't believe there is no hitch pin or something going through where the hitch pin goes for added protection.
Unread 01-02-2013, 08:37 AM   #8
aramia00
2013 JK Wrangler 

I just got the Thule spare tire bike rack and it's great. The only downside I see is that it barely clears the stock mtr's and I don't think I could go to anything bigger without some modification. Besides that its great though because it swings right open with the tailgate and takes 15 seconds to put on or take off.
aramia00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2013, 10:09 AM   #9
Thunderstrike
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramia00 View Post
I just got the Thule spare tire bike rack and it's great. The only downside I see is that it barely clears the stock mtr's and I don't think I could go to anything bigger without some modification. Besides that its great though because it swings right open with the tailgate and takes 15 seconds to put on or take off.
I sure does. You use a keyed lock to "open" up the hitch coupler so you don't get any lose tolerance.
Auto, Power, Remote Start, Towing Package, MyGig Navigation with Lockpick, Rear View Camera, B&M 70268 Transmission Cooler, Aeroforce Interceptor, Valentine 1, Tub Sound-Deadened with Raamat and Ensolite, Hard Top Heat Insulated with 1/2" Styrofoam Insulation, Bilstein Shocks Front & Rear, PIAA Dual Horns, IPF 920H4 Headlights.
Protection: Skid Row Engine Skid, Lower Control Arm skid & Evaporator Skid; Rock Hard Gas Tank Skid; Warn Stainless Steel Differential Skid Front & Rear.
Recovery Gear: Warn 9.5Ti Winch, 11,000# Pull-Pal.
Communication: Uniden 520XL CB, Diesel External Speaker, 3' FireStik Whip.
Shrockworks Mid-width Front Bumper with Warn 9.5Ti Winch -- Ordered 7/17/2009; Bumper Received 12/4/2009.
1" Coil Spacer Front & 1/2" Coil Spacer Rear restored OEM Rake.
4x4 Trips:
Moab - 4/2006, 5/2008, 4/2009, 5/2011, 4/2013
Ouray - 8/2007
Rubicon - 9/2008
Gone, but not forgotten: 2004 TJ, 1999 Audi A4, 1992 VW Jetta GL 5 Speed
Thunderstrike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2013, 02:39 PM   #10
varnerme
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderstrike

I sure does. You use a keyed lock to "open" up the hitch coupler so you don't get any lose tolerance.
Thunderstrike...just so I'm understanding you, you are talking about the 1up, not the Thule, that you quoted, right? Also, you haven't had any concerns about not having a hitch pin all the way through the hitch/receiver? Maybe I'm just too paranoid!
Unread 01-03-2013, 03:06 AM   #11
Stilly
2013 JK Wrangler 

Look at the Swagman G10. This is the rack that I use and it comes included with the hitch pin lock and cable. Here is the link http://www.swagman.net/products/plat...g10-64681-new/ .
Stilly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.