BIG BLUE's "Kentucky Blue" JKU BUILD THREAD - Page 9 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > BIG BLUE's "Kentucky Blue" JKU BUILD THREAD

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-04-2012, 08:08 PM   #121
442Wrangler
In like Flynn.

2008 JK Wrangler 

Heard there have been multiple issues on this forum with rock krawler springs. Hearing great things about currie though but that seems to be in preponderance on this forum.

1998 TJ Sahara Sold
-3.25" RC spring lift, Eagle alloys 125s, 33x12.5x15 Cooper STTs, XRC8 winch with stock bumper mount

1994 YJ SE Sold
-4" RC spring lift, 33x12.5x15 Firestone M/Ts, Eagle alloys 125, and a 4 cylinder to boot

1960 Willys Wagon
-Going to be restored and painted Omaha Orange

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."
-Steve McQueen

Male RN Jeep Club #1
442Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2012, 08:16 PM   #122
BigBlue7
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 442Wrangler
Heard there have been multiple issues on this forum with rock krawler springs. Hearing great things about currie though but that seems to be in preponderance on this forum.
Wow, point me to the negative. I haven't heard anything bad and I've been looking for some time! Thanks!

Rock Krawler | TeraFlex | Synergy | Fox | Poison Spyder | Genright | Nemesis | Vector | Springtail | Goodyear | MB Wheels | Tom Woods | Dirty Dog | Superchipís | sPOD | Truck-Lite | Beer

[CENTER][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/big-blues-kentucky-blue-jku-build-thread-1435478/"][COLOR="Blue"][B]BIG BLUE'S "Kentucky Blue" JKU BUILD THREAD[/B][/COLOR][/URL][/CENTER]
[COLOR="White"][CENTER]Always looking for advice![/CENTER][/COLOR]

[COLOR="Blue"][B][CENTER][SIZE="2"]Looking to buy any JK Rubicon transfer case, except from a 12-14 auto.[/SIZE][/CENTER][/B][/COLOR]
BigBlue7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2012, 08:22 PM   #123
BigBlue7
2010 JK Wrangler 

Just wrote Marcus at River City OffRoad, asking him for advice on a potential plan in reference to the 3.5 flex system.

"What I want is the 3.5" coils front and rear, front and rear control arms, and the front track bar. Which is basically the 3.5" Flex System, without the discos, brake lines, and rear track bar bracket. I would like to buy the teraflex or JKS disco and brake lines separately. And i already have a track bar relocation bracket from my 2.5" RC budget boost kit. Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe all of the above mentioned parts would work together flawlessly.

Can you make something like this happen at an advantageous price?

All of that aside, I am aware that I will need a new front drive shaft. Do you know if I will need a rear also (Auto, 4door, 2010)? Also, is it possible and advised to install the new driveshafts prior to adding the suspension kit? Or is it fine to install the kit first, and hold off on wheeling until shafts are replaced? If you can help me in this journey, I'd be much appreciative!"

So if any others have thoughts on this, they are welcome. Thanks everyone! I promise to post up some more mods soon!

Rock Krawler | TeraFlex | Synergy | Fox | Poison Spyder | Genright | Nemesis | Vector | Springtail | Goodyear | MB Wheels | Tom Woods | Dirty Dog | Superchipís | sPOD | Truck-Lite | Beer

[CENTER][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/big-blues-kentucky-blue-jku-build-thread-1435478/"][COLOR="Blue"][B]BIG BLUE'S "Kentucky Blue" JKU BUILD THREAD[/B][/COLOR][/URL][/CENTER]

[COLOR="Blue"][B][CENTER][SIZE="2"]Looking to buy any JK Rubicon transfer case, except from a 12-14 auto.[/SIZE][/CENTER][/B][/COLOR]
Unread 12-05-2012, 07:01 AM   #124
MountainMan864
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Order from Jason at Krawl Off Road but ive heard good things about Marcus too. I would go with a 3-3.5in lift now if your going to 37s down the road. Your gonna wanna step up to 17s at that time too. Several people have problems with RK. Go with currie 4in or teraflex 3 in.
MountainMan864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2012, 08:06 AM   #125
442Wrangler
In like Flynn.

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue7 View Post
Wow, point me to the negative. I haven't heard anything bad and I've been looking for some time! Thanks!
Wasn't trying to be a negative nancy man.

I'm just pointing out maybe a little more research is needed. To me all 3 systems mentioned (Teraflex, Currie, and RK) are all a large chunk of change to do what you wanted and figured I'd just point out that RK has had spring issues. Look under our tech section here, I've seen two threads personally that would make me rather buy RC stuff.

1998 TJ Sahara Sold
-3.25" RC spring lift, Eagle alloys 125s, 33x12.5x15 Cooper STTs, XRC8 winch with stock bumper mount

1994 YJ SE Sold
-4" RC spring lift, 33x12.5x15 Firestone M/Ts, Eagle alloys 125, and a 4 cylinder to boot

1960 Willys Wagon

-Steve McQueen

Male RN Jeep Club #1
Unread 12-05-2012, 08:09 AM   #126
442Wrangler
In like Flynn.

2008 JK Wrangler 

Also how is the light output from those KCs? A lot of hood glare and such?

1998 TJ Sahara Sold

1994 YJ SE Sold

1960 Willys Wagon

-Steve McQueen

Male RN Jeep Club #1
Unread 12-05-2012, 09:23 AM   #127
BigBlue7
2010 JK Wrangler 

No hood glare, only issue is they are not the same color as LED's, they are halogens I think.

Unread 12-05-2012, 11:27 PM   #128
Denny2565
2012 JK Wrangler 

I would do the lift first and make sure it's dialed in, rides good, correct caster, etc. Then install the drive shaft after a couple weeks go by. That way, if you have a vibration, you'll know it's the drive shaft and not the lift.

And there's no need for a rear drive shaft since you've got a 4-door. I've been running the stock rear drive shaft for nearly a year on my Rubicon w/3-1/2" of lift and haven't had any problems. Even if you do damage it, I've got a spare one from my last JK somewhere around the house that you can have if the need arises.

As for the disconnects, JKS was my favorite. I've ran a couple different brands and JKS was the easiest to take off and re-connect. Just be sure to keep a couple extra pins because over time, you will lose them. I never had the Teraflex brand, but I do like how you just have to disconnect one end.
Denny2565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2012, 05:27 AM   #129
BigBlue7
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny2565
I would do the lift first and make sure it's dialed in, rides good, correct caster, etc. Then install the drive shaft after a couple weeks go by. That way, if you have a vibration, you'll know it's the drive shaft and not the lift.

And there's no need for a rear drive shaft since you've got a 4-door. I've been running the stock rear drive shaft for nearly a year on my Rubicon w/3-1/2" of lift and haven't had any problems. Even if you do damage it, I've got a spare one from my last JK somewhere around the house that you can have if the need arises.

As for the disconnects, JKS was my favorite. I've ran a couple different brands and JKS was the easiest to take off and re-connect. Just be sure to keep a couple extra pins because over time, you will lose them. I never had the Teraflex brand, but I do like how you just have to disconnect one end.
Thanks Dennis! What lift did you get? This RK kit most say measures ~4".

Unread 12-06-2012, 05:40 PM   #130
BigBlue7
2010 JK Wrangler 

10/25/2012

Vector Off Road UFOís
- Tailgate Electrical Delete
- Tailgate Bumpstop Delete
photo-2-5-.jpg   photo-1.jpg  

Unread 12-06-2012, 05:45 PM   #131
BigBlue7
2010 JK Wrangler 

10/28/2012

Wired up a rear LED to the sPOD. It's alright. Rigid's eventually.
chriss-iphone-248.jpg   chriss-iphone-247.jpg   chriss-iphone-251.jpg  

Unread 12-06-2012, 06:00 PM   #132
Brightwhite
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue7
Vector Off Road UFO’s
- Tailgate Electrical Delete
- Tailgate Bumpstop Delete
You don't have to have a 3rd brake light in your state? Lucky dog! Would love to get rid of that wire on my bumper and tire carrier!
Brightwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2012, 06:14 PM   #133
BigBlue7
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brightwhite View Post
You don't have to have a 3rd brake light in your state? Lucky dog! Would love to get rid of that wire on my bumper and tire carrier!
Not sure about the law, but I do have a 3rd brake light. You can see it above the license plate, ORO.

Unread 12-06-2012, 10:37 PM   #134
Denny2565
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue7 View Post
Thanks Dennis! What lift did you get? This RK kit most say measures ~4".
I've got the Synergy Stage III 3" kit. After putting my front bumper and winch on, I had exactly 3" of lift in the front. However, since I didn't have an aftermarket rear bumper and I also put wedges under the rear springs, I had close to 4" of lift in the back. I added some 3/4" spacers to the front and it really improved the stance.

When you install your lift, you may want to go ahead and do the wedges. Here's before and after wedge install shots. If you haven't extended your breather hose yet, that's one more thing to add to your list. I think I still have some rubber hose left you can have. You'll just need to pick up a coupling.

Denny2565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2012, 08:50 AM   #135
BigBlue7
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny2565

I've got the Synergy Stage III 3" kit. After putting my front bumper and winch on, I had exactly 3" of lift in the front. However, since I didn't have an aftermarket rear bumper and I also put wedges under the rear springs, I had close to 4" of lift in the back. I added some 3/4" spacers to the front and it really improved the stance.

When you install your lift, you may want to go ahead and do the wedges. Here's before and after wedge install shots. If you haven't extended your breather hose yet, that's one more thing to add to your list. I think I still have some rubber hose left you can have. You'll just need to pick up a coupling.
I'm still mostly leaning towards the RK 3.5 X Factor kit, it includes the wedges! I have no idea on what the breather hose is yet, lol.

When are you wanting to get those fenders? I'm off today, just give me a call.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.