BIG BLUE's "Kentucky Blue" JKU BUILD THREAD - Page 12 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > BIG BLUE's "Kentucky Blue" JKU BUILD THREAD

Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WDYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipArtec Flash Sale - 15% off and Free Shipping over $300

Unread 12-13-2012, 09:16 PM   #166
BamaJeepman21
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Which means you're going to get 37's and you can sell me your 35's for a steal...right?

Are you going to install the lift yourself?

Looks to me like that shocks are going to be way too long. There's no way you can have a shock that works with 4"-6" lift. Did you order them by compressed and extended length?

-Jack
BamaJeepman21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2012, 09:44 PM   #167
jbriones
2008 JK Wrangler 

what kind of track bars and control arms are your looking into? Brake lines?
jbriones is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2012, 10:13 PM   #168
Heath
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue7
I'm looking for opinions on lift kits. I am running 35s and factory fenders. I want something that will work well with this setup, and that will also be good for when I upgrade to 37s and the PSC Tube Fenders.

I have been looking at the 2.5 and 3.5 Rock Krawler Mid Arm Kits. But not sure which one to go with. Right now I'm leaning towards the 3.5 flex, since ill have to replace the front driveshaft either way. Any expensive drawbacks when it comes to the 3.5" system?

Please advise y'all!
Do NOT get any lit that uses Heim joints anywhere. Get something with a true encapsulated flex joint like a John y Joint or a Duroflex.

Have you looked at the Metalcloak arms? They are super nice.

I went with them on my new rig. I have to say I like the Duroflex better than the JJ for a couple of reasons. Just have to see how well they hold up. I don't think it will be an issue though.
Unread 12-13-2012, 10:17 PM   #169
Walle
Soccer Mom and Jeep Hater

2012 JK Wrangler 

Congrats!!! Can't wait to see what it looks like! Great choice on the shocks and glad to see you bought good coil retainers!

Just a FYI...

Do you know what the front coils of your lift measure? The Currie front coils measure 22.5 without any weight on them. I'm running those same shocks on the Currie 4", and the shocks at full axle drop will allow the coils to unseat. I am running Antirock front and rear, which helps prevent that.

Just food for thought and something you may want to keep an eye out for.

Walle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2012, 11:43 PM   #170
Heath
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg79CJ7304
I'm going with OME, but I'm going to paint or powder coat the shocks black.
Let me know how that powdercoating oven does on those nitrogen and oil filled shocks with their composite internals and all!
Unread 12-13-2012, 11:46 PM   #171
Heath
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:

I thought about that as well. OME is supposed to have a really nice ride for a DD. Not a huge fan of having a stiff ride, but! I read that having a stiffer ride will help with the leaning while going through turns. Needless to say, I am a fan of keeping the Jeep on all fours.

It should turn out fine, the personal touches are what makes it yours!
Stiff ride, for leaning? No.

Get a raised AXLE end rear track bar mount and a Poly Performance front trackbar mount and drag link flip for proper geometry. Raising the trackbars with the lift will raise the roll center back like stock and your rig will drive fine. Don't ever buy shocks to fix a sway issue.
Unread 12-14-2012, 07:03 AM   #172
BigBlue7
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath

Stiff ride, for leaning? No.

Get a raised AXLE end rear track bar mount and a Poly Performance front trackbar mount and drag link flip for proper geometry. Raising the trackbars with the lift will raise the roll center back like stock and your rig will drive fine. Don't ever buy shocks to fix a sway issue.
There's no sway issue. But yes, stiff vs soft will help. However your correct that the raised track bars are the key.

Rock Krawler | TeraFlex | Synergy | Fox | Poison Spyder | Genright | Nemesis | Vector | Springtail | Goodyear | MB Wheels | Tom Woods | Dirty Dog | Superchipís | sPOD | Truck-Lite | Beer

[CENTER][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/big-blues-kentucky-blue-jku-build-thread-1435478/"][COLOR="Blue"][B]BIG BLUE'S "Kentucky Blue" JKU BUILD THREAD[/B][/COLOR][/URL][/CENTER]
[COLOR="White"][CENTER]Always looking for advice![/CENTER][/COLOR]

[COLOR="Blue"][B][CENTER][SIZE="2"]Looking to buy any JK Rubicon transfer case, except from a 12-14 auto.[/SIZE][/CENTER][/B][/COLOR]
BigBlue7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2012, 07:05 AM   #173
BigBlue7
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaJeepman21
Which means you're going to get 37's and you can sell me your 35's for a steal...right?

Are you going to install the lift yourself?

Looks to me like that shocks are going to be way too long. There's no way you can have a shock that works with 4"-6" lift. Did you order them by compressed and extended length?
We will talk. I have to dump money into drive shafts and gears before I just up to 37s. Oh, and those shox are perfect for this lift. The kit gives way more lift than what RK advertises. Its designed to give you 3.5" if you have a fully outfitted JKU (full skids, bumpers, winch, all steel corners, etc). The shox are very close to the recommended compressed/extended lengths. Installing myself with help.

Rock Krawler | TeraFlex | Synergy | Fox | Poison Spyder | Genright | Nemesis | Vector | Springtail | Goodyear | MB Wheels | Tom Woods | Dirty Dog | Superchipís | sPOD | Truck-Lite | Beer

[CENTER][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/big-blues-kentucky-blue-jku-build-thread-1435478/"][COLOR="Blue"][B]BIG BLUE'S "Kentucky Blue" JKU BUILD THREAD[/B][/COLOR][/URL][/CENTER]

[COLOR="Blue"][B][CENTER][SIZE="2"]Looking to buy any JK Rubicon transfer case, except from a 12-14 auto.[/SIZE][/CENTER][/B][/COLOR]
Unread 12-14-2012, 07:10 AM   #174
BigBlue7
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbriones
what kind of track bars and control arms are your looking into? Brake lines?
Track bars and all 8 control arms are included in the X Factor, which is why I went with it. Brake lines are included as well. Same for the coil wedges. Bumpstops are free until Christmas through Marcus! I am good to go!

Unread 12-14-2012, 07:15 AM   #175
BigBlue7
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walle
Congrats!!! Can't wait to see what it looks like! Great choice on the shocks and glad to see you bought good coil retainers!

Just a FYI...

Do you know what the front coils of your lift measure? The Currie front coils measure 22.5 without any weight on them. I'm running those same shocks on the Currie 4", and the shocks at full axle drop will allow the coils to unseat. I am running Antirock front and rear, which helps prevent that.

Just food for thought and something you may want to keep an eye out for.

Thanks, sir! Im not sure, but I'll find out. I'd rather have longer shocks, thus not to limit my vertical travel. Were you using coil retainers before the antirock? Last time I checked you were in the swapping process, but I'm curious to find out once your finished.

Again thanks for your help Walle!

Unread 12-14-2012, 07:26 AM   #176
BamaJeepman21
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue7 View Post
We will talk. I have to dump money into drive shafts and gears before I just up to 37s. Oh, and those shox are perfect for this lift. The kit gives way more lift than what RK advertises. Its designed to give you 3.5" if you have a fully outfitted JKU (full skids, bumpers, winch, all steel corners, etc). The shox are very close to the recommended compressed/extended lengths. Installing myself with help.
Nice.

But then again I have to dump money too before I go to 35's... Is Daniel going to help you? He said he'd help me put mine on and I'm thinking if we have enough tools and help we can knock out 2 Jeeps in one weekend.

-Jack
BamaJeepman21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2012, 07:34 AM   #177
Walle
Soccer Mom and Jeep Hater

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue7 View Post
Thanks, sir! Im not sure, but I'll find out. I'd rather have longer shocks, thus not to limit my vertical travel. Were you using coil retainers before the antirock? Last time I checked you were in the swapping process, but I'm curious to find out once your finished.

Again thanks for your help Walle!
I agree with having longer shocks not to limit your travel. It helps prevent damage to the shocks, but you have to just make sure you set your lift up for those shocks - retainers, bump stumps, blah, blah, blah. I was using coil retainers - RK retainers. I would recommend to anyone to use another brand just because the RK ones don't secure the coil as good as other ones, but that is just my opinion.

Actually I just got my Jeep back late last night. I did the axle swap and lift swap myself, but then it sat for a couple weeks waiting new ball joints. My buddy did the ball joint install (Synergy Ball Joints), and I got her back yesterday. I owe some people (Spyder6) some pictures, but I am leaving to NC today. The pics will come next week. Anyways...I enjoy my new lift a lot, so far. I only drove it from the shop to get and alignment and back to the house. What a difference in the gears! I think I am gonna like the 5.13s.

You will love those Fox shocks! The ride is amazing on and off the road. I was reading somewhere the other day where one guy dropped the pressure to 125 PSI for DD, and then he would charge it up to 225 PSI for wheeling. I think he had the setup at his house for that. That is gonna bug me - can't remember where I read that. I am running the 200 PSI, which comes standard with those shocks, and I have no complaints.

I am excited to see your write-ups and your progress! I bet you are anxious waiting on the parts to get there! Good luck and enjoy yourself!

Oh, and get the 37s!

Walle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2012, 07:36 AM   #178
jbriones
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:

Track bars and all 8 control arms are included in the X Factor, which is why I went with it. Brake lines are included as well. Same for the coil wedges. Bumpstops are free until Christmas through Marcus! I am good to go!
Good deal. Very nice
jbriones is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2012, 07:44 AM   #179
BigBlue7
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaJeepman21

Nice.

But then again I have to dump money too before I go to 35's... Is Daniel going to help you? He said he'd help me put mine on and I'm thinking if we have enough tools and help we can knock out 2 Jeeps in one weekend.
Haven't talked to him about it yet. Might be able to, but if all goes as planed Dennis is helping me on Jan 5-6 in his garage. Sat and Sunday if needed.

Unread 12-14-2012, 07:48 AM   #180
BigBlue7
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walle

I agree with having longer shocks not to limit your travel. It helps prevent damage to the shocks, but you have to just make sure you set your lift up for those shocks - retainers, bump stumps, blah, blah, blah. I was using coil retainers - RK retainers. I would recommend to anyone to use another brand just because the RK ones don't secure the coil as good as other ones, but that is just my opinion.

Actually I just got my Jeep back late last night. I did the axle swap and lift swap myself, but then it sat for a couple weeks waiting new ball joints. My buddy did the ball joint install (Synergy Ball Joints), and I got her back yesterday. I owe some people (Spyder6) some pictures, but I am leaving to NC today. The pics will come next week. Anyways...I enjoy my new lift a lot, so far. I only drove it from the shop to get and alignment and back to the house. What a difference in the gears! I think I am gonna like the 5.13s.

You will love those Fox shocks! The ride is amazing on and off the road. I was reading somewhere the other day where one guy dropped the pressure to 125 PSI for DD, and then he would charge it up to 225 PSI for wheeling. I think he had the setup at his house for that. That is gonna bug me - can't remember where I read that. I am running the 200 PSI, which comes standard with those shocks, and I have no complaints.

I am excited to see your write-ups and your progress! I bet you are anxious waiting on the parts to get there! Good luck and enjoy yourself!

Oh, and get the 37s!

That sucks. You got all that work done yourself and then had to wait on shipping! That's tough. I was thinking about going to 5.38 yukons for 37s. Let me know how how you feel about the 5.13s after you drive it some more. Really that's why I haven't regeared yet, since I thought I'd have change them again for 36s.

Yeah I heard the RKs were crap. 5 extra dollars gets your the teraflexs front and rear.

Not sure if we're talking about the same fox shocks. These are the ones that are $114 ea on Northridge4x4. 2.0s 4-6" IFPs. Can you adjust these, I don't remember reading that for this model? Anyhow, when they will be for sale when I get larger tires. At that time I plan to go with the RDDs!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.