BIG BLUE's "Kentucky Blue" JKU BUILD THREAD - Page 11 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > BIG BLUE's "Kentucky Blue" JKU BUILD THREAD

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Looking to re-gear?! CRAZY DEALS ON YUKON GEARS right here

Unread 12-10-2012, 05:54 PM   #151
sizmtrz
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboarder View Post
Wow- that's really quite the ego!

Even if you were to drop dead right now, your JK would still be useful to a lot of other people.

never seen Full Metal Jacket I see...

"Ritalin...so much easier than parenting!"

"Castro retires! One less nation to illegally make war with as to install a US friendly government! WOO HOO"
sizmtrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2012, 06:19 PM   #152
xTBIRDx
2012 JK Wrangler 

Looks good man. I gotta say the happiest part for me was seeing the tires arrive!
xTBIRDx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2012, 08:58 PM   #153
I_Bleed_Blue
2007 JK Wrangler 

I am so jealous of your Jeep it is making me sick. Good job man looks great!
I_Bleed_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2012, 09:06 PM   #154
BigBlue7
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Bleed_Blue
I am so jealous of your Jeep it is making me sick. Good job man looks great!
Go get you one from CarMax! Like I mentioned, I had to search long and hard. Only found two for sale, on in Kansas and one in Lville KY. They shipped it to me on a trailer for $250. Did you choose your college yet?

Rock Krawler | TeraFlex | Synergy | Fox | Poison Spyder | Genright | Nemesis | Vector | Springtail | Goodyear | MB Wheels | Tom Woods | Dirty Dog | Superchipís | sPOD | Truck-Lite | Beer

[CENTER][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/big-blues-kentucky-blue-jku-build-thread-1435478/"][COLOR="Blue"][B]BIG BLUE'S "Kentucky Blue" JKU BUILD THREAD[/B][/COLOR][/URL][/CENTER]
[COLOR="White"][CENTER]Always looking for advice![/CENTER][/COLOR]

[COLOR="Blue"][B][CENTER][SIZE="2"]Looking to buy any JK Rubicon transfer case, except from a 12-14 auto.[/SIZE][/CENTER][/B][/COLOR]
BigBlue7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2012, 01:22 PM   #155
BigBlue7
2010 JK Wrangler 

11/23/2012

Had my windshield replaced! No more scratches!
chriss-iphone-308.jpg  

Rock Krawler | TeraFlex | Synergy | Fox | Poison Spyder | Genright | Nemesis | Vector | Springtail | Goodyear | MB Wheels | Tom Woods | Dirty Dog | Superchipís | sPOD | Truck-Lite | Beer

[CENTER][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/big-blues-kentucky-blue-jku-build-thread-1435478/"][COLOR="Blue"][B]BIG BLUE'S "Kentucky Blue" JKU BUILD THREAD[/B][/COLOR][/URL][/CENTER]

[COLOR="Blue"][B][CENTER][SIZE="2"]Looking to buy any JK Rubicon transfer case, except from a 12-14 auto.[/SIZE][/CENTER][/B][/COLOR]
Unread 12-12-2012, 01:38 PM   #156
BigBlue7
2010 JK Wrangler 

So now we are all caught up! I wish I could say I have more parts on the way, but I don't. Not yet at least.

For those of you still following along, the thread is definitely going to slow down, but the build is not over. It probably never will.

But aside from the suspension, I am very happy with my JK. Still have plans for skids, winch, rear bumper, steering upgrades, etc. As mentioned, I plan on upgrading the suspension. After about a month of research, I have decided on the RK 3.5" X Factor. Now just to figure out which shocks to get. Right now I am leaning towards the Fox IFP 2.0's. Everyone's opinions and suggestions are welcome, thanks for reading!

Unread 12-12-2012, 01:41 PM   #157
BigBlue7
2010 JK Wrangler 

GO BIG BLUE
chriss-iphone-314.jpg  

Unread 12-12-2012, 03:02 PM   #158
BigBlue7
2010 JK Wrangler 

Which shocks to use?

Trying to get the best bang for the buck. Right now I'm considering Bilstein and Fox.

Unread 12-12-2012, 03:17 PM   #159
Walle
Soccer Mom and Jeep Hater

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue7 View Post
Trying to get the best bang for the buck. Right now I'm considering Bilstein and Fox.
IMHO...I have the Fox, and I love them. I do mostly desert riding and climbing. I think I have one of the smoothest rides in some of the conditions here in NM. But my buddy has the Bilsteins on his TJ, and he loves them. His are 14" travel shocks, and mine are 12".

Back to the Fox. I purchased my Fox 2.0s from TeraFlex. I just went from the RK 2.5" MT to the Currie 4". My jeep is still in the shop, so I can only speak for when I have the RK lift on. It rode great on the road and off. The shocks are very stiff, but I think it does well with the added weight from the bumpers, armor, tires, etc. I have taken it crawling, desert riding, playing in the mud, and a 3k mile road trip. I am very happy with them!

One thing to remember with the Fox and Bilsteins...The body of the shocks are typically longer than other shocks. I had to do some small modifications with the new lift to make it work the way I wanted and to prevent damaging the shocks.

I hope this helps!

| Currie - 4" | Cooper STT 37" | 5.13 | RCV | Superior | sPOD | ACE | Synergy | Overland Motorsports | Adams Driveshaft | LightForce | TruckLite | PSC | RROR | EVO | Jeep Swag | aFe | Fox | Artec | Ballistic Fab | Rock Hard 4x4 | MetalCloak | Superwinch | Factor 55 | Savvy | TeraFlex | Steel Lizard Offroad | Cobra |

2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee - WK2 (Kiddo Hauler)

Walle on Instagram
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mol View Post
I want to F your J. I want to F your J right in the A.
Walle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2012, 03:40 PM   #160
BigBlue7
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walle

IMHO...I have the Fox, and I love them. I do mostly desert riding and climbing. I think I have one of the smoothest rides in some of the conditions here in NM. But my buddy has the Bilsteins on his TJ, and he loves them. His are 14" travel shocks, and mine are 12".

Back to the Fox. I purchased my Fox 2.0s from TeraFlex. I just went from the RK 2.5" MT to the Currie 4". My jeep is still in the shop, so I can only speak for when I have the RK lift on. It rode great on the road and off. The shocks are very stiff, but I think it does well with the added weight from the bumpers, armor, tires, etc. I have taken it crawling, desert riding, playing in the mud, and a 3k mile road trip. I am very happy with them!

One thing to remember with the Fox and Bilsteins...The body of the shocks are typically longer than other shocks. I had to do some small modifications with the new lift to make it work the way I wanted and to prevent damaging the shocks.

I hope this helps!

Thanks Walle. That does help. Marcus told me that with the Fox 2.0s or RDDs, you have to grind the RK trackbar relo bracket (driver rear). Is this the modification you are referring to? I'm fine with a little angle grinding, just as long as I know about it before hand.

I am looking for shocks that are good off road, given the capability of the RK 3.5. At the same time though, it's my daily, so I would prefer a less stiff ride.

I know people will recommend OME shocks, but the yellow on blue would look UK retro - flat out ugly IMO.

Here I go again, asking for everything to be perfect!

Unread 12-12-2012, 03:47 PM   #161
Walle
Soccer Mom and Jeep Hater

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue7 View Post
Thanks Walle. That does help. Marcus told me that with the Fox 2.0s or RDDs, you have to grind the RK trackbar relo bracket (driver rear). Is this the modification you are referring to? I'm fine with a little angle grinding, just as long as I know about it before hand.

I am looking for shocks that are good off road, given the capability of the RK 3.5. At the same time though, it's my daily, so I would prefer a less stiff ride.

I know people will recommend OME shocks, but the yellow on blue would look UK retro - flat out ugly IMO.

Here I go again, asking for everything to be perfect!
Damn Jeep owners and wanting everything perfect.

That is one area that I was referring to, and it did damage the shock body before I realized it. It wasn't bad, but I was pissed bc I didn't notice it sooner! :

The other areas I am referring to have to do with my latest mod of an axle swap and new lift. The axles had the RK lower shock mounts on the rear axle, so I got the Poly uppers to fix the loss in up travel. I only had like a couple inches. It was not pretty. I cut the RK mounts off and went with the Evo Rockstar skids. The skids also help push the body away from the trac bar.
| Currie - 4" | Cooper STT 37" | 5.13 | RCV | Superior | sPOD | ACE | Synergy | Overland Motorsports | Adams Driveshaft | LightForce | TruckLite | PSC | RROR | EVO | Jeep Swag | aFe | Fox | Artec | Ballistic Fab | Rock Hard 4x4 | MetalCloak | Superwinch | Factor 55 | Savvy | TeraFlex | Steel Lizard Offroad | Cobra |

2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee - WK2 (Kiddo Hauler)

Walle on Instagram
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mol View Post
I want to F your J. I want to F your J right in the A.
Walle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2012, 03:54 PM   #162
BigBlue7
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walle

Damn Jeep owners and wanting everything perfect.

That is one area that I was referring to, and it did damage the shock body before I realized it. It wasn't bad, but I was pissed bc I didn't notice it sooner! :

The other areas I am referring to have to do with my latest mod of an axle swap and new lift. The axles had the RK lower shock mounts on the rear axle, so I got the Poly uppers to fix the loss in up travel. I only had like a couple inches. It was not pretty. I cut the RK mounts off and went with the Evo Rockstar skids. The skids also help push the body away from the trac bar.
Yea I'd be pissed as well. Luckily I'm doing a ton of research, and getting advice from some great folks.

Unread 12-13-2012, 03:17 PM   #163
Gregg79CJ7304
2012 JK Wrangler 

I'm going with OME, but I'm going to paint or powder coat the shocks black.
Unread 12-13-2012, 03:31 PM   #164
BigBlue7
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg79CJ7304 View Post
I'm going with OME, but I'm going to paint or powder coat the shocks black.
I thought about that as well. OME is supposed to have a really nice ride for a DD. Not a huge fan of having a stiff ride, but! I read that having a stiffer ride will help with the leaning while going through turns. Needless to say, I am a fan of keeping the Jeep on all fours.

It should turn out fine, the personal touches are what makes it yours!

Unread 12-13-2012, 03:40 PM   #165
BigBlue7
2010 JK Wrangler 

12/13/2012

DONE DID IT

Rock Krawler 3.5 X-Factor System
FOX-980-24-641 - Performance Series IFP JK - 4 to 6" Lift FRONT
FOX-980-24-642 - Performance Series IFP JK - 4 to 6" Lift REAR
JKS2034 - JKS Quicker Sway Bar Disconnects
TER4951000 - TeraFlex JK Spring Retainer Kit (front lower and rear upper)

Probably the most expensive mod yet! However, my dude Marcus at RCO hoked me up! If you have not gone to him yet, DO IT. He is very helpful! Most vendors are hard to work with, and only answer one question at a time! Marcus answered every question I had! Highly recommend RCO.

Complete shipment should be made in two weeks. Install pics to follow, standby.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.