Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

BIG BLUE's "Kentucky Blue" JKU BUILD THREAD

129K views 1K replies 62 participants last post by  BigBlue7 
#1 ·
"This is my JK. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
My JK is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I master my life.
My JK, without me, is useless. Without my JK, I am useless."​
:salute:

I just celebrated my first year as a Jeep owner! At the time that I bought it, I have to admit, I had no idea what I was getting myself into. Yeah yeah, we all have heard the J.E.E.P. saying; however, I am proud to say, I have found another hobby. I always wanted a Wrangler, and was intrigued by the 4 door. Being a recent graduate of the University of Kentucky, I fell in love with the color of the Deep Pearl Blue, "Kentucky Blue," JKU! At first sight I knew it was my soul-mate. Let's just say, quickly I learned beauty is much more than skin deep.

I would have started this build thread many months ago, but like I said, I had no idea how addicted I would become. So addicted, that I even keep a "Timeline" Word doc. on my desktop at work to track Big Blue's progress.

Previous owner had to be a chick, which was made obvious by all the eyeliner and hair ties buried under the driver side carpet, and the Kreayshawn CD left in the disc changer. :fear:

Here is how Big Blue sat when I bought him from CarMax, bone stock with 28,000 miles:

See less See more
#310 ·
Never mind. I figured it out. It was the disco tapping the spring again. It was fixed after I an alignment. I don't think removing the front DS would have changed the geometry that much, since I have upper and lower arms. Kinda puzzled.

#315 ·
awinski said:
sweet deal. i always put the legit stickers on my jeep, the rest litter the walls of my basement lol
Most of mine go in a shoe box. Only have a RockKrawler decal, blue pants brewery, and of course a Kentucky decal on her.

#316 ·
lol, i have the hybrid ones, treehugger, and a few others. all i did this weekend was wire up reverse lights. you're over here puttin in drive shafts! lol. no wonder you get so much traffic! still loving the build man!

#318 ·
lifesaflaw123 said:
Drive shafts are nothing! He doesn't know it but he's going to be throwing a front Locker in soon. Forget sleeves, gotta justify breaking axle shafts first!
Lol. Very tempted. I think I'd like to test out a lock right sometime.

C gussets are def on the list still though. You can bend those driving on a sidewalk.

#319 ·
awinski said:
lol, i have the hybrid ones, treehugger, and a few others. all i did this weekend was wire up reverse lights. you're over here puttin in drive shafts! lol. no wonder you get so much traffic! still loving the build man!
The traffic is all me... I saw your lights. Not bad, $3 makes it even better! You just need a better camera phone. No worries, my pics aren't the best either.

#321 ·
Installed my Woody. Got it done fairly quickly thanks to my buddy's help. Also messed around with the suspension some. Everything's ready to hit the trail now!

Attachments

#322 ·
Can't find anyone who wants to wheel today :(

So instead, Im changing spark plugs and cleaning the air filter today. I need some gloves!

I can fit a quarter in the gap, only 40k miles.
Whats a good brand, based on personal JK results? I hear a lot of people prefer using the OE.

Attachments

#324 ·
lifesaflaw123 said:
You hush! You better keep up with me next time we go wheeling! We are redoing the suspension and front end on kyle's truck today. And hopefully I'll get some help with my sliders.
Not worried about that. Redoing? If you want to bring the sliders over here, we can get them on today or tomorrow. Can't imagine it being too hard.

Just finished getting all those buggers out, new ones are going in with lithium grease. Also pulling the throttle body and then to re-install the skid plate.

#326 ·
awinski said:
OEM is almost always the best. thats what i would recommend. no idea how thick a quarter is. you should check the gap, then check with spec. those plugs look fine btw.
2nd person to tell me that. I just gotta fire up the bike and go get a gap coin from WM.

#328 ·
Also, tuned it to 87 octane, painted all of my skid plates and the frame, greased all of my zerks with Lucas Extra Heavy Duty, cleaned the air filter, cleaned the intake, and best of all- I finally found the right spot for a PSC decal.Been at it since 7am, time for a beer! ROLLLL CATS!!!!

Attachments

#341 ·
I wanted to do that same mod myself. During the planning, I also posted them up on Craigslist, and had them sold the same day. I paid $120 for them at a garage sale, and sold them for $200. Funds went towards the rails I have now... I just really like not having a step, lol. Part of my daily workout plan. :2thumbsup:

What's next????:rolleyes: Your killing me man!

Top three:
1. Synergy Draglink Flip Kit
2. Front and rear LEDs to include 50"
3. Axle "C" gussets

Leftovers:
5.13 Yukons, Warn Zeon 10000S, Teraflex Hood Strut, Teraflex Limiting Straps, ACE Pro Series rear bumper, ARB air lockers (compressor to go in PSC Evap skid), evap relocation kit, re-gear to 5.13 Yukons, i've been putting all of this off b/c of the damn furloughs coming soon. Got to have priorities.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.