BIG BLUE's "Kentucky Blue" JKU BUILD THREAD - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > BIG BLUE's "Kentucky Blue" JKU BUILD THREAD

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 11-06-2012, 06:23 PM   #1
BigBlue7
2010 JK Wrangler 

BIG BLUE's "Kentucky Blue" JKU BUILD THREAD

“This is my JK. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
My JK is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I master my life.
My JK, without me, is useless. Without my JK, I am useless.”

I just celebrated my first year as a Jeep owner! At the time that I bought it, I have to admit, I had no idea what I was getting myself into. Yeah yeah, we all have heard the J.E.E.P. saying; however, I am proud to say, I have found another hobby. I always wanted a Wrangler, and was intrigued by the 4 door. Being a recent graduate of the University of Kentucky, I fell in love with the color of the Deep Pearl Blue, "Kentucky Blue," JKU! At first sight I knew it was my soul-mate. Let's just say, quickly I learned beauty is much more than skin deep.

I would have started this build thread many months ago, but like I said, I had no idea how addicted I would become. So addicted, that I even keep a "Timeline" Word doc. on my desktop at work to track Big Blue's progress.

Previous owner had to be a chick, which was made obvious by all the eyeliner and hair ties buried under the driver side carpet, and the Kreayshawn CD left in the disc changer.

Here is how Big Blue sat when I bought him from CarMax, bone stock with 28,000 miles:

Rock Krawler | TeraFlex | Synergy | Fox | Poison Spyder | Genright | Nemesis | Vector | Springtail | Goodyear | MB Wheels | Tom Woods | Dirty Dog | Superchipís | sPOD | Truck-Lite | Beer

[CENTER][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/big-blues-kentucky-blue-jku-build-thread-1435478/"][COLOR="Blue"][B]BIG BLUE'S "Kentucky Blue" JKU BUILD THREAD[/B][/COLOR][/URL][/CENTER]
[COLOR="White"][CENTER]Always looking for advice![/CENTER][/COLOR]

[COLOR="Blue"][B][CENTER][SIZE="2"]Looking to buy any JK Rubicon transfer case, except from a 12-14 auto.[/SIZE][/CENTER][/B][/COLOR]
BigBlue7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2012, 06:29 PM   #2
awinski
young & dumb

2012 JK Wrangler 

always love reading builds. youll learn a lot on forums. btw can't see the pics.
awinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2012, 06:29 PM   #3
BigBlue7
2010 JK Wrangler 

Day 1
cimg4759.jpg   cimg4763.jpg  

Rock Krawler | TeraFlex | Synergy | Fox | Poison Spyder | Genright | Nemesis | Vector | Springtail | Goodyear | MB Wheels | Tom Woods | Dirty Dog | Superchipís | sPOD | Truck-Lite | Beer

[CENTER][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/big-blues-kentucky-blue-jku-build-thread-1435478/"][COLOR="Blue"][B]BIG BLUE'S "Kentucky Blue" JKU BUILD THREAD[/B][/COLOR][/URL][/CENTER]

[COLOR="Blue"][B][CENTER][SIZE="2"]Looking to buy any JK Rubicon transfer case, except from a 12-14 auto.[/SIZE][/CENTER][/B][/COLOR]
Unread 11-06-2012, 06:33 PM   #4
awinski
young & dumb

2012 JK Wrangler 

very nice, btw looks like you're stuffing those tires in your avatar, ever think of trimming the fenders/lift/flatties? btw trimming is easier than thought!
awinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2012, 06:34 PM   #5
BigBlue7
2010 JK Wrangler 

More profile shots.
cimg4761.jpg   cimg4764.jpg  

Unread 11-06-2012, 06:35 PM   #6
BigBlue7
2010 JK Wrangler 

Day 2: 4 Nov 2011 - First time off road for Big Blue! A rut almost took us into the Tennessee River. Then a tree almost talked me into new fenders.
bigblue.jpg  

Unread 11-06-2012, 07:01 PM   #7
BigBlue7
2010 JK Wrangler 

Vehicle Information Breakdown

Assembly: Toledo, Ohio
Shipped by CarMax from Louisville, KY to North Alabama (two painful weeks of waiting)

2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
3.8 Liter, V6
Automatic, and yes... 4WD
Hard Top
3.73 Axle Ratio
P255/70R18
Grey Cloth Interior

Packages and Options:
Power Convenience Group - Power locks, windows, and keyless entry
Premium Appearance Group - Bumper appliques, interior silver accents
Trailer Tow Package
Remote Start

My first mod, was the removal of the CarMax decal from the tailgate, and the rearview mirror flip.

Unread 11-06-2012, 07:06 PM   #8
BigBlue7
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by awinski View Post
very nice, btw looks like you're stuffing those tires in your avatar, ever think of trimming the fenders/lift/flatties? btw trimming is easier than thought!
Thanks brother! Yea, it's a little tight right now, but I have it set up right, so no rubbing!

This is more of story telling, than a build thread. At least until I catch up to my current additions.

Unread 11-06-2012, 07:19 PM   #9
BigBlue7
2010 JK Wrangler 

11/05/2011

Added spare tire cover, UK 33Ē Go CATS!
cimg4852.jpg  

Unread 11-06-2012, 07:28 PM   #10
BigBlue7
2010 JK Wrangler 

11/08/2011 - 12/09/2011

Got a full set of Rugged Ridge Custom Floor Mats
12920.01 All-Terrain Black Front Floor Liner Set
12950.01 All-Terrain Black Second Row 4-Door Liner
12975.01 All-Terrain Black Cargo Floor Mat

Added Mopar Grab Handles (2 pairs)
P/N Ė 82211740

Installed K&N Performance Intake Kit
K&N 77-1553KP

That was the last day Mountainside ORV was open.
cimg4960.jpg   cimg4964.jpg   014.jpg  

Unread 11-06-2012, 07:38 PM   #11
BigBlue7
2010 JK Wrangler 

12/25/2011 - 12/27/2011

Smittybilt Cargo Restraint System (C-RES), low price and looks cool, but there are much better options.

Smittybilt Water Resistant Cab Cover - the worst product I have ever owned period. Good for nothing.

Installed Rugged Ridge Gas Cover w/ Lock
cres.jpg   img_4667.jpg   cimg4941.jpg  

Unread 11-06-2012, 07:49 PM   #12
BigBlue7
2010 JK Wrangler 

01/20/2012 - Grill Mesh Mod

Cheap, and easy. It's up there with the mirror flip mod.

Grill Mesh Mod - http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/m...d-pics-784840/

EDIT: sand down your adhesive points and use an epoxy to keep it from coming loose over time. I also used a glue gun for extra reinforcement. EDIT: plastic will tear, use steel. Same department at Lowes. They sell them by the piece, so DONT BUY THE WHOLE DAMN PACK. I bought 3 pieces, you will want to cut each in half and trim to size. Paint. Touch up easily with a paint pen (I use Mopar hardtop touch-up pen).
ipod-2012-467.jpg  

Unread 11-06-2012, 08:05 PM   #13
BigBlue7
2010 JK Wrangler 

01/20/2012

Installed custom interior swing gate exit handle Pull the vent cover on the right side of the inside gate. you can't miss it. Don't know where he got the handle and grommet, though. handle/cable/brackets are hand throttle assy's at Kragens/PEPBOYS-etc, they have tobe "cut-to-fit. Throttle Cable" kits
Added inserts to fill gap between front seats and console (French Fry Mod) Smooth pipe insulation pieces to fill gap between front seats and console. Kind of a coin/french fry saver. They move with the seats too.
cimg4975.jpg   cimg4971.jpg  

Unread 11-06-2012, 08:14 PM   #14
BigBlue7
2010 JK Wrangler 

01/20/2012

Installed poly-fil around soundbar speakers and subwoofer, to add sound clarity

Added tie down points on hard top
Added rear cargo storage net
cimg4973.jpg   cimg4974.jpg   cimg4972.jpg  

Unread 11-06-2012, 08:24 PM   #15
BigBlue7
2010 JK Wrangler 

18 Jan 2012

K/C driving lights, w/ K/C windshield mounts
cimg4966.jpg   042.jpg   046.jpg  

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.