Bestop Supertop problems - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Bestop Supertop problems

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 07-16-2010, 10:00 PM   #61
Hollywood1971
2008 JK Wrangler 

Mike, I don't want to answer for Geoff but thought I should throw this out there for you. If you contact Bestop customer service they can send you a small parts bag that will include those screws.

Or here is another option: when installing my Supertop I had one bolt head break off. I contacted them and they couldn't just send the single bolt and instead sent the whole small parts bag. If you can identify which screw type it was to secure the header (I don't have my instructions and just remember that it was a lot of them) I'd be happy to send you a handful to hopefully cover any that you might strip out. PM me if you want to take me up on it.

DECEASED - 2008 2-door
Hollywood1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2010, 06:46 PM   #62
KJNewbs
1983 CJ7 

Yikes - this is scarey...I just bought a 2010 2dr with factory hard top (I wanted the dual top but they 'couldnt find one for me with all of the other options I wanted - and the saleman made it sound so easy to just get a soft top afterwards for 'like 300 bucks'). I've been researching all day and realize that the factory top is like 14hundred and has a 30 page install guide. I was looking at the Trektop, but now i'm thinking that sucks? Damn - what to do?
KJNewbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2010, 07:46 PM   #63
Coppage
2009 JK Wrangler 

Our issues have been with the Bestop Supertop not the trek top. I've seen a few 4dr JKs with Trek tops and they look nice. I also looked at the install instructions for the Trek top. I appears the the header for the Trek screws on which may prevent the issues I'm having with the clamp on design. I recommend joining a local club and seeing if anyone has a Trek top installed that you could look at up close.
Coppage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2010, 08:21 AM   #64
08JKSAHARAUN
2008 JK Wrangler 

This season I installed a Supertop on our 08 Unlimited Sahara. After reading all these posts, I tend to agree with the majority that the install is challenging. Be patient and definately do it on a warm day and with a buddy or two.

I have noticed the same header "tightness" issue and front corner issue. For the header tightness, I think I improved the tightness by making sure the pins on the bow mount bracket are in the last hole (towards the back of the Jeep). I still seem to share the "loose" fitting on the front sides - for at least the first three inches from the header - where you hear and feel air coming through. I think in part the plastic channel should be extend further to the front of the vehicle. This may be an overall design issue. I haven't discovered a fix for this just yet.

Going on-line today at BestTop, I noticed they have revised the kit back in May to incorporate a Header Knob bracket and plate vs the clip that came with my top in April / early May (must have just missed the update). I think this will greatly solve any header tightness issue across the front (and will save me the time and expense of adding a gasket on my own).

I'll be contacting Besttop to hopefully get the new hardware.

Overall - I'm happy with the Top. I only had one other issue with the Tailgate Retainer Bar in that the rivets on one of the clips gave (they should use a larger rivet and washer to solve this problem). Besttop sent me a new bar under warranty.

Lastly - I think everyone needs to remember that any soft top for a Jeep - whether its OE or aftermarket, will have some "give and take" if you will. You will have days where you may have a little moisture and you will have many days where you hear and feel the wind and air. Afterall - this is why they make Hardtops. I view my soft top as only necessary to combat the elements (high heat sunny days and rain). When the cold and snow come around - back to the Hardtop.
08JKSAHARAUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2010, 08:43 AM   #65
McKBrew
JK Wrangler 

Craigslist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJNewbs View Post
Yikes - this is scarey...I just bought a 2010 2dr with factory hard top (I wanted the dual top but they 'couldnt find one for me with all of the other options I wanted - and the saleman made it sound so easy to just get a soft top afterwards for 'like 300 bucks'). I've been researching all day and realize that the factory top is like 14hundred and has a 30 page install guide. I was looking at the Trektop, but now i'm thinking that sucks? Damn - what to do?
McKBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2010, 08:44 AM   #66
jstrubberg
2009 JK Wrangler 

That is a VERY interesting change! I think that knob latch and a bit of bending at the center point of my header bar would probably fix the issues I've got completely.

I don't expect my soft top to match my hard top for either noise level or security, BUT, seeing daylight above the windshield every time I catch a wind gust just isn't acceptable.
jstrubberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2010, 09:03 AM   #67
BestopTeam

You can reach the customer service team at 800-845-3567 or csbestop@bestop.com.

They did change the header from clamps to screws - clamps are more convenient, screws work better for tighter clamping.
BestopTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2010, 09:09 AM   #68
BestopTeam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppage View Post
Hi Geoff,
Can I request you when I email to Bestop? I originally contacted Bestop support and the reply was to contact the merchant that I purchased the top from. I contacted JC Whitney and explained my problem to them. They in turn contacted Bestop. In end result was bestop sent me the lower metal part of the header. My top is still not fixed. I can't replace the part because some of the screw heads stripped when installing, so if I take it apart I may not be able to get it back together. When I put the top up I can force the top in the channel, but once I clip in the sides the front over the driver pops up. The clamp fails to hold the header in the channel. It's almost like when I lock in the sides the header if pushed forward and out the channel.

Thanks,
Mike
I'm not opposed to you asking for me, but I gotta tell you, it's not a great idea: I work in marketing, and have no way of getting you replacement parts, etc. My job is to make you like us, and buy more stuff (how am I doing?)

But you should contact customer support directly - otherwise it ends up like that old game of "telephone." I'd call instead of sending email - we've been known to misinterpret email from time to time. We do that on the phone too, but at least you can start yelling at us.
BestopTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2010, 08:50 PM   #69
Coppage
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08JKSAHARAUN View Post
Lastly - I think everyone needs to remember that any soft top for a Jeep - whether its OE or aftermarket, will have some "give and take" if you will. You will have days where you may have a little moisture and you will have many days where you hear and feel the wind and air...
Dude, I have to wear safety glasses to drive in the rain. I'm going to try calling Bestop and seeing is they can send me the new screw on clamp. That should hep out a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08JKSAHARAUN View Post
...I think I improved the tightness by making sure the pins on the bow mount bracket are in the last hole (towards the back of the Jeep)."
I'm not sure what you mean, can you post a picture?

Thanks.
Unread 07-22-2010, 06:30 PM   #70
Coppage
2009 JK Wrangler 

I called Bestop support today and explained my problem with the front edge not staying in the channel. The lady I talked with mentioned the new screw down kit that replaces the weak clamps and is having a set sent to me. It'll take about three weeks since they are out of stock. Hopefully I'll have a good update for everyone then.

Thanks
Unread 07-23-2010, 07:10 AM   #71
jstrubberg
2009 JK Wrangler 

Same here. In the meantime, I'm going to put together a bending caul and flex the header bar a bit so it follows the top of the windshield more closely.
Unread 07-23-2010, 08:04 AM   #72
Coppage
2009 JK Wrangler 

Can you take a before and after pic? Can you post a pic of the bending caul as well? The screw down kit will help but you right that if the header more closely followed the channel it would help. Thanks
Unread 07-23-2010, 08:26 AM   #73
jstrubberg
2009 JK Wrangler 

Yup, lots o' pics. I plan to cut a curve along a 2x4, then use a pair of pipe clamps and pads to provide the pull. We will see what happens.
Unread 07-24-2010, 06:51 AM   #74
08JKSAHARAUN
2008 JK Wrangler 

Update from earlier this week:

On our trip to the shore for this weekend, once reasonable highway speeds are hit, I see daylight and feel the breeze along the header.

Before I left on my trip, I did call Bestop and the knob hold downs are on their way.

Once I'm back at home, I'll post the pic on the bow bracket setting as well.
08JKSAHARAUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2010, 07:32 AM   #75
jstrubberg
2009 JK Wrangler 

Got the knob latches yesterday and installed them last night. The header bar is still the wrong shape, but you can apply enough torque with the knob latches to knock down about 80 percent of the wind noise.

Still looking for time to set up a bending caul and fix the problem. I really, really hate paying this kind of money for a product that does not fit the vehicle I ordered it for!

Tags
bestop , bestop supertop , JK Wrangler , supertop , wrangler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.