Bestop Supertop problems - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Bestop Supertop problems

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 03-29-2010, 09:15 AM   #31
ctgretzky99
2011 JK Wrangler 

I dearly hope it was just a parts mix up or something like that. As of Saturday I want to be done with the top. Again, Im going to be optimistic for now and know that was the problem (I hope lol)

I am pm-ing you the contact, I am not sure he wants his email out in public.

Best of luck, please come back and let us know your outcome as well. Of course, Ill be her eon Saturday late afternoon Im sire to either continue *****ing or with happy news!

Unread 03-30-2010, 09:09 PM   #32
Coppage
2009 JK Wrangler 

SuperTop

Hi Guys,
I'm doing my install on my 4door JK this weekend. I'll let you know if I run into any head problems. Please post images of your installs.

Thanks,
Mike
Coppage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2010, 10:19 PM   #33
Coppage
2009 JK Wrangler 

Installed

Hi Guys,
I got mine installed yesterday. I found the images in the instructions confusing. The images showing the font and rear upper rails are incorrect. To tell which is the rear rail just look for the two holes that the pillar rail will bolt onto. Also the header makes a little noise when on the road it doesn't clamp quite flush. I'm going to try to adjust it and if if that doesn't work, I'll call support. Other than the header noise and the bad images in the instructions, the quality of the material is excellent. It's a nice looking and functional top.

Good Luck,
Mike
Unread 04-03-2010, 09:00 AM   #34
Hollywood1971
2008 JK Wrangler 

I installed mine two evenings ago and everything went pretty well. I did have one of the bolts break on me as holes on one side of the two header pieces did not line up perfectly and screwing on the silver lock-nut popped the end of the bolt off. The top still fits and seals very well and Bestop is sending me a small parts replacement kit so that I can replace that single bolt.

Overall, the top is a pain in the *** to put together. But now that it's on and fully adjusted, it's well worth it.

Anything in particular that you want to see a picture of?

DECEASED - 2008 2-door
Hollywood1971 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2010, 07:39 PM   #35
Coppage
2009 JK Wrangler 

Super Top

Hey Hollywood1971,
Can you post a close up of where the top and windshield frame meets (from the outside, length wise? Where mine meets it seems to not be as smooth and tight. I'm getting a wind noise when I drive above 25 mile/hr. Yeah I had an issue with those screws and the silver lock nuts on the header as well. The heads stripped on me. Also if you over tighten the self tapping screws they will strip in the holes.

Thanks,
Mike
Unread 04-03-2010, 10:33 PM   #36
Hollywood1971
2008 JK Wrangler 

Absolutely, Mike. I'll be happy to post a pic tomorrow when I have some light. Glad I didn't strip any of the self tappers...believe me, I was worried that I would. I'm getting a little bit of wind noise but I think it's just because I'm not used to the different sounds of the soft top. I was in a gas station parking lot this evening and I heard some people talking at the pumps behind me. Had to turn around to check and make sure my windows were all in because it was almost as clear in my ear as with the top off. Not used to that. Also, it's been windy here today and yesterday so I'm getting used to the sound of the side windows slapping against the bows from the wind.

Today was a really long day. I added a Smittybilt XRC rear bumper with tire carrier and I'm not quite done. I don't like the third brake light mounting on the swing-out because I can't stand the idea of wires on the carrier and I don't have enough slack. So I'm modding the stock carrier with a Dremel so that it can stay on the tailgate with the brake light. Broke several saw bits today while doing it so I'll have to wait until tomorrow when the hardware store opens to get some more. Also today, added a Terraflex steering stabilizer which I must say, I LOVE. Ever since my lift I've been feeling too much road and I'm happy to have that stock-feel back in the wheel. Long-ish trips have left me quite fatigued but not anymore.

Okay, I've hijacked this thread enough. Pics will be posted tomorrow.

DECEASED - 2008 2-door
Unread 04-04-2010, 08:02 PM   #37
Coppage
2009 JK Wrangler 

Thanks

Went driving today and noticed sunlight coming under the header. I may end up calling Bestop later this week. It's just not fitting tight enough.

Thanks ahead for posting your pics.

Thanks,
Mike
Unread 04-04-2010, 10:03 PM   #38
Hollywood1971
2008 JK Wrangler 

I'm out all day in the sun but didn't have my camera with me. I apologize for the quality since these were taken in my garage at night.

Drivers side:

Front:

Passenger side:

Even though the light isn't good in the photos, I hope this helps. I can't see any sunlight from the inside of my time so you definitely have some fitment issues.

DECEASED - 2008 2-door
Unread 04-05-2010, 08:57 AM   #39
ctgretzky99
2011 JK Wrangler 

My update:

Pictures to come of the finished product.

So Saturday came and I waited until mid noon with the sun way up high and the temps in the low 70's. I really wanted to re-stretch this top, so as well I brought the heat gun home with me too.

Bestop sent me 2 new bows, 2 upper door rails and new header parts and latches (though no new screws, which I was hoping for as well, but no biggie)

I changed out all the hardware, and since the didnt send me the vertical door rails I customized them myself. They didnt sit in the bottom channel well, so I drilled them out a bit to get a nice perfect fit.

I removed the old header and then took the heat gun to the top. I heated up sections and stretched them with my kids. I went through the entire top leading 8" or so and kept stretching. I changed the latches out, and I installed the new header into the fabric. Was still a bit tight, so hit it with the heat gun again, really making the fabric pliable, almost melting!

Stretched it all out, got it to fit best I could then hit it again with heat gun once I put the backer on the header to hold the fabric in place.

Well, it fit better but I am still not happy with it all that much I have to say. I drove it to work this morning, and it is quieter and I dont see daylight like I did before. We will see when rain comes down.

Hardware is still really tight around the door rails. I have to work to get the bows to fit into the rails and I really have to spend time with it. Even with all of the melting and stretching i did, the front corners still stick up a bit. I even used the heat gun on the front corners for 15 minutes each side working it down and forward. Still not quite right.

Id love to just send it back, but I am probably being unrealistic to Bestop and Im not going to hassle them for that. It works "good enough" I would say as of right now, though again, Id rather return and get my $ back.

I am very appreciative that they made efforts to send parts and it seems like a good product, just isnt working for me as I expected and compared to other tops I see and have played with.

In reality, if I could do it all over again, I would have bought the oem soft top through the dealer and let them install it. I bought mine with the hard top, but I should have just had them work the soft top into the monthly car $ and had it all done professionally from the get go.

Ill get some pics
Unread 04-05-2010, 09:23 AM   #40
ctgretzky99
2011 JK Wrangler 

Hollywood,

I am VERY surprised you cant see daylight through the header when you drive. Have you looked? When on the highway (and when it is safe) look out the left corner where the header meets the windshield. I can see in your pics the front corner is "lifted" away already (Top red arrow). Note how that bead or edge goes "up". That should be flat across. (bottom red arrow) It also does look like the header corner is up and away from the gasket.
1000888q.jpg  
Unread 04-05-2010, 10:15 AM   #41
Hollywood1971
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctgretzky99 View Post
Hollywood,

I am VERY surprised you cant see daylight through the header when you drive. Have you looked? When on the highway (and when it is safe) look out the left corner where the header meets the windshield.
I absolutely have looked. And I have been at highway speeds. While the seam on the side does make a slight vertical turn as shown in the photos, there is zero gap between the bottom of the header and the rubber surround. Not enough for even a slip of paper to go through.

That vertical turn is actually better described as a downward turn caused by a combination of the thickness of the header piece and the tightness in which the top is pulled when those side plastic pieces are tucked into upper door surround. Note how the actual top is dipping slightly to follow that same contour and how you can see the header pushing a bit through the fabric.

No doubt something is amiss with your top. But I'm not experiencing the same thing.

DECEASED - 2008 2-door
Unread 04-05-2010, 08:32 PM   #42
Coppage
2009 JK Wrangler 

Thanks

Hollywood1971,
Thanks for you photos. Mine does the same as your, it has the lifts on the end. When installing the header I left off the flex trim. So when I get a chance I will need to take it apart and install the trim. That maybe my issue.

Also are you a full member? Is that how your posting you photos? I using a free account and there appears to be no space to upload images unless I get a paid account.

Thanks,
Mike
Unread 04-06-2010, 01:17 AM   #43
Hollywood1971
2008 JK Wrangler 

Just drove home in a seriously heavy thunderstorm...huge drops coming down in droves. But I'm happy to report not a drop was spotted inside my rig. Phew!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppage View Post
Also are you a full member? Is that how your posting you photos? I using a free account and there appears to be no space to upload images unless I get a paid account.
No, not a paid member but I keep thinking about it. My surfing here goes in waves as I'm planning upgrades to my Jeep but then I settle down after a while until the next bug strikes. I use a different sites to host my photos and just post the image tag here. If you Google "free photo hosting" you'll find dozens of options that don't require any registration.

Hey Gretzky, what kind of screws do you need for your top? Bestop sent me an entire small parts kit for the one single screw that broke on my header. If you want to PM me what you need I'd be happy to send something to you if you think it would help.

DECEASED - 2008 2-door
Unread 04-06-2010, 02:21 AM   #44
Seanie
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppage View Post
Hollywood1971,
Thanks for you photos. Mine does the same as your, it has the lifts on the end. When installing the header I left off the flex trim. So when I get a chance I will need to take it apart and install the trim. That maybe my issue.

Thanks,
Mike
It's easier if you use a free photo upload site. I've been using one forever, and all you have to do is enclose the direct link to the photo in [img][/img] tags. A good one that most people use is photobucket.
Unread 04-06-2010, 08:42 AM   #45
ctgretzky99
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood1971 View Post
Just drove home in a seriously heavy thunderstorm...huge drops coming down in droves. But I'm happy to report not a drop was spotted inside my rig. Phew!

No, not a paid member but I keep thinking about it. My surfing here goes in waves as I'm planning upgrades to my Jeep but then I settle down after a while until the next bug strikes. I use a different sites to host my photos and just post the image tag here. If you Google "free photo hosting" you'll find dozens of options that don't require any registration.

Hey Gretzky, what kind of screws do you need for your top? Bestop sent me an entire small parts kit for the one single screw that broke on my header. If you want to PM me what you need I'd be happy to send something to you if you think it would help.
Glad to hear it didnt leak! Sunny and warm (to hot on weds at around 86) here next few days so wont know. I keep heating and stretching the top. Hopefully it will just stretch out more or something because mine still sticks up more than both of your guys. Now the driver side is decent and the passenger side is crappy. Cant f'n win. I want to get rid of this thing so bad and just get the oem top. Should have from the beginning instead of getting the "cool" aftermarket and tinted top.

Im very happy to hear yours is working, just something about either the top or my Jeep is off.

Thanks for the offer with screws. I was able to salvage most of what was sent, and I had a drawer full of others in my garage I grabbed.

Tags
bestop , bestop supertop , JK Wrangler , supertop , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.