Bestop Supertop problems - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Bestop Supertop problems

Smittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Trick Tabs - NalinMFG.comCCOR is your 1 stop source for everything Jeep!

Unread 03-22-2010, 09:55 AM   #16
ctgretzky99
2011 JK Wrangler 

Spice...just my experience with the Jeep right now kinda blows, as I cant really enjoy driving with so much noise, and now the fear of rain coming. I need to get the hard top back on, but now I have no time, back to work, and with 3 kids trying to undo all of the stuff I installed so I can get the hard top is now another hour I dont have. As well, need help with hard top. Grrrr...just grumpy today too.

Sorry for venting on here. My apologies. Im not usually like this, but this top thing has really got under my skin for some reason.

ctgretzky99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2010, 09:57 AM   #17
McKBrew
JK Wrangler 

I can understand your frustration.

Don't give up on Besttop yet. My experience (based on what I've read here at least) is that they will come through for you. People who bought the trektop have gotten replacements as they have worked through three generations of top to get it right.

As much as a PITA as it is, I'm sure you will get resolution.
McKBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2010, 10:01 AM   #18
BestopTeam

Like everyone else, we want to make sure the top is installed correctly before warranties and returns are initiated. That's normal. So I recommended you talk to customer support, on Saturday. It's Monday morning now. You might be having a little too much impatience on this timeline :-).

800-845-3567 is our support line if you don't want to wait for email.

And work with Morris. They're a good company. It will work out.
BestopTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2010, 10:04 AM   #19
McKBrew
JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffatBestop View Post
Like everyone else, we want to make sure the top is installed correctly before warranties and returns are initiated. That's normal. So I recommended you talk to customer support, on Saturday. It's Monday morning now. You might be having a little too much impatience on this timeline :-).

800-845-3567 is our support line if you don't want to wait for email.

And work with Morris. They're a good company. It will work out.
To the OP. This right here should be everything you need to let you know it will work out. If the company is following this thread, they definitely care about your satisfaction.
McKBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2010, 10:04 AM   #20
ctgretzky99
2011 JK Wrangler 

Thanks McKbrew. I hope so. I mean, I think the top itself (canvas) is great, seems very high quality, and the hardware is nice and strong and finished. I really wont mind another Bestop supertop if they can guarantee that they are sending the proper model (if that was the problem?) or rectify this somehow.

And here comes the rain :-( Looks like my commute home is going to suck.
Unread 03-22-2010, 10:05 AM   #21
BestopTeam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctgretzky99 View Post
Is it true for 2010 the wrangler went through a couple of inch size change? If true, then no wonder nothing fits? Could it be that this 2007-present stock of tops and possibly other accessories are not suited for the slight changes to the 2010 models? Anyone else have a 2010 they are having or had problems with for sizing stuff?

Just curious. Read a couple of articles that pointed out some minor changes to specific 2010 model.
The 2010 did not change size. They did change the OE top for 2010, though.

The Supertop, which comes with its own door surrounds, works for the 2010 model year.

A Replace-A-Top, which uses factory hardware, is different for 2010.

The difference is a cable that keeps the top tight above the doors, so there is no need for the "canards" (plastic tabs) that hold the top down above the door.
BestopTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2010, 10:10 AM   #22
ctgretzky99
2011 JK Wrangler 

lol...ok ok I KNOW I am an impatient man. I just have very limited "play time" for hours here and there to do things, and it is a large fault of mine to want resolutions immediately.

I emailed everyone on Saturday (Morris was on Thursday, never heard back).

Ill call the hotline now too. Guess I just might as well uninstall everything tonight if the rain stops for a while, and put the hard back on.

Thanks Geoff for following up.
Unread 03-22-2010, 10:12 AM   #23
ctgretzky99
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffatBestop View Post
The 2010 did not change size. They did change the OE top for 2010, though.

The Supertop, which comes with its own door surrounds, works for the 2010 model year.

A Replace-A-Top, which uses factory hardware, is different for 2010.

The difference is a cable that keeps the top tight above the doors, so there is no need for the "canards" (plastic tabs) that hold the top down above the door.
Geoff, just also seems the metal around the door that I installed is off too. The poles that go to the header (side bows?) barely fit into the channel on top of the metal surround for the doors. It is actually all scratched up from them being kinda forced in.

I wish I was near your factory!
Unread 03-23-2010, 04:56 AM   #24
djkbooth
2010 JK Wrangler 

jmo, i think you messed up going to the local up. shop, you shoulda just called them right off the bat instead of slamming them here (where they all read the forums). Try the trek top, I think you would like that one.
djkbooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2010, 07:02 AM   #25
ctgretzky99
2011 JK Wrangler 

I apologize if it comes off that way, but Im not slamming anyone, just the product doesnt work for me, and it needs to be fixed/addressed which Bestop is doing right now. They have been great going back and forth via email and phone since yesterday afternoon, asking me for more pictures etc. (was going to post an update this morning anyway) So they have been doing well by me.

As far as bringing it to a pro, well, at least Bestop knows it isnt just some schlub (me) trying to make the top work, but now someone with experience has tried a few things. As well, it was a major timing issue. I knew temps were going to drop a lot after this weekend, and rain was coming Monday, and I was able to get to the pro only on Saturday. So I went for it. Couldnt have made things worse except for the additional disassembly that probably screwed up the self tapping aspect :-(
Unread 03-28-2010, 02:41 PM   #26
Coppage
2009 JK Wrangler 

Hey ctgretzky99,
Did they ever get you fixed? I've received a SuperTop and I'm waiting for the weather to warm up to install it.

Question for all owners of the Supertop and a factory hardtop. If I want to switch back to the hardtop for the winter, how much dis-assembly will be required to put the hardtop back on? I wish they had a detailed video of the install for my specific model. I searched Youtube and what I found wasn't specific to my 4 door model.

Thanks
Coppage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2010, 03:59 PM   #27
Lbsean35

Gretzky,

I was relieved to see your post because after two days of absolute torture I finished installing a supertop on my wife's 07 JK. I completely agree with your opinion on the instructions...or lack there of in some instances. The header doesn't seal well at all. I am absolutely clueless as to what is keeping it from sealing correctly. I have owned a two door jeep for more than ten years and the latches that connect the top to the windshield frame pull the top nice and snug.....the latches on my JK don't pull the top AT ALL...leaving a nice gap for wind and rain to come in. Have you got any resolution because I'm pretty irritated right now with this thing. Thanks

Sean
Lbsean35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2010, 07:18 AM   #28
ctgretzky99
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppage View Post
Hey ctgretzky99,
Did they ever get you fixed? I've received a SuperTop and I'm waiting for the weather to warm up to install it.

Question for all owners of the Supertop and a factory hardtop. If I want to switch back to the hardtop for the winter, how much dis-assembly will be required to put the hardtop back on? I wish they had a detailed video of the install for my specific model. I searched Youtube and what I found wasn't specific to my 4 door model.

Thanks
I apologize to Bestop, because I was so quick to be a ****, but was lacking in reposting what happened since then.

Well, they are sending all new header hardware, latches, bows and window surround. It very well be that I received the wrong parts or something. So tho thir credit, they are sending out parts. I should get them mid week.

It is supposed to be 74 or so this Saturday, so I will do it all over again!

Im hoping it works
Unread 03-29-2010, 07:26 AM   #29
ctgretzky99
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbsean35 View Post
Gretzky,

I was relieved to see your post because after two days of absolute torture I finished installing a supertop on my wife's 07 JK. I completely agree with your opinion on the instructions...or lack there of in some instances. The header doesn't seal well at all. I am absolutely clueless as to what is keeping it from sealing correctly. I have owned a two door jeep for more than ten years and the latches that connect the top to the windshield frame pull the top nice and snug.....the latches on my JK don't pull the top AT ALL...leaving a nice gap for wind and rain to come in. Have you got any resolution because I'm pretty irritated right now with this thing. Thanks

Sean

The instructions are a bit weak if you dont have a mass of experience. That is the trouble with instructions when you design both the product and instructions. It is difficult to look at them from "outside" because you know the product already when writing up the instructions. So you tend to leave some stuff out, or not clarify others. Just fyi, my company does the same...we design products that need to be assembled and write our own instructions for them (massive trade show displays etc). So I have experience with such things. And frankly, the instructions on the top are a bit ambiguous in portions! I understand why, but it still sucks :-)

Yea, the latches SUCK. In any Jee Ive ever been in, you have to work a bit to get the latch to grab those first few weeks. Ive helped several friends with hard to soft top changes. It takes 2 people the first time you put that factory top on even in 80 weather. This top, 4 year old son could latch it even that first day. They simply do not grab and pull the header down tight.

I am hoping you and I just got bum headers or parts. To their credit, Bestop is sending me parts. We will see after Saturday..supposed to be mid 70's, and once again Ill do this on blacktop where the temp will be more like 80+ in the bright sun. I am being optimistic that it will work. If not, Im fully expecting to get a full refund on the product.
Unread 03-29-2010, 07:36 AM   #30
Lbsean35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctgretzky99 View Post
The instructions are a bit weak if you dont have a mass of experience. That is the trouble with instructions when you design both the product and instructions. It is difficult to look at them from "outside" because you know the product already when writing up the instructions. So you tend to leave some stuff out, or not clarify others. Just fyi, my company does the same...we design products that need to be assembled and write our own instructions for them (massive trade show displays etc). So I have experience with such things. And frankly, the instructions on the top are a bit ambiguous in portions! I understand why, but it still sucks :-)

Yea, the latches SUCK. In any Jee Ive ever been in, you have to work a bit to get the latch to grab those first few weeks. Ive helped several friends with hard to soft top changes. It takes 2 people the first time you put that factory top on even in 80 weather. This top, 4 year old son could latch it even that first day. They simply do not grab and pull the header down tight.

I am hoping you and I just got bum headers or parts. To their credit, Bestop is sending me parts. We will see after Saturday..supposed to be mid 70's, and once again Ill do this on blacktop where the temp will be more like 80+ in the bright sun. I am being optimistic that it will work. If not, Im fully expecting to get a full refund on the product.

Well I am glad your issue is getting resolved and thanks for the reply...any specific numbers you called? Do I need to take pics and send them to anyone??? It is supposed to rain all week and my wife is without a vehicle until I can get this resolved....or until I get the motivation to put the hard top back on. I hope it's just a bad header too. Thanks again man and let me know how the new parts works out
Lbsean35 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bestop , bestop supertop , JK Wrangler , supertop , wrangler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.