Bestop Supertop problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Bestop Supertop problems

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 03-18-2010, 09:17 AM   #1
ctgretzky99
2011 JK Wrangler 

Bestop Supertop problems

Hello!

I apologize if this is in the wrong place, new to the forums and dont know where else to post, feel free to move. Thanks!

Well, I bought the supertop and decided to install yesterday. Had a bud who has experience in Jeep tops (but only factory tops).

The top sucks, or the install does. It does not go to the front of the windshield line like the hard top did, and when you drive, you can see daylight in the front left and right sides. This will suck in the rain!

Any advice? Did anyone else have this problem and was able to rectify? I went over the instructions a few times all looks right, and I am usually very handy building just about anything, but this has me stumped. A couple of pictures are attached.

img_1626.jpg   img_1627.jpg   img_1630.jpg   img_1639.jpg  
ctgretzky99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2010, 11:09 AM   #2
DominicR
2011 JK Wrangler 

Just a complete guess - maybe it wasn't warm enough for you to put it on? I hear they are extremely difficult to stretch if the outside temp isn't warm enough.
DominicR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2010, 11:52 AM   #3
ctgretzky99
2011 JK Wrangler 

It was warm, thus why I wanted to switch the hard top out for the soft top. Air temp was 68, but I worked on a blacktop surface and left all fabric on the blacktop in full sun. When I did this, it was very soft and pliable
Unread 03-18-2010, 11:26 PM   #4
Hollywood1971
2008 JK Wrangler 

As a fellow JK owner who just purchased a Supertop but hasn't installed it yet, the instructions specify not to install until air temp is 72 because of shrinkage. Not trying to be a nag or anything, but I'm thinking that they maybe picked that number for a reason. We hit 64 here today but I left it in the box and will wait until 72 actually occurs. In the meantime, I'll be crawling this thread to see if maybe I should return it before I open the packaging if others indicate that the temp isn't the issue.

DECEASED - 2008 2-door
Hollywood1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2010, 07:37 AM   #5
ctgretzky99
2011 JK Wrangler 

Temp not the issue, it was 68 air temp, and we did this on blacktop where it was probably closer to 75 with radiant heat, and it was bright azure blue skies and sun. As well, the top was placed on top of the black hard top I removed. The material was quite pliable and "melty".

I am waiting to hear back from Bestop, they had me send them pics of the install. I also found a local auto top/upholstery place that can help me tomorrow. Im bringing it by.

Looking at it, I feel that that stupid tap system they have is dumb, that retainer clip belongs under the pole to make it sit right,not over. As well, I think the top needs to be spread out width-wise more so the 2 ends can wrap around better. I think I know that these are the problems, but Ill wait to hear from Bestop, and then have a professional take the advice and do it tomorrow.
Unread 03-19-2010, 02:17 PM   #6
BestopTeam

Did you get an answer from Bestop yet? I'm not in customer support, and those guys deal with stuff like this all the time. BUT it looks like a combination of things to me:
It looks like you might have the 2010 factory door surrounds, which you would not use with a Supertop.
The 2010 factory top is a "cable top" that uses a cable and spring over the door, instead of the plastic canard clips. So if you have this plastic bar above the door, it's not right.

AND, it looks like the windshield header is not installed correctly. It looks like it's leaning back toward the top, and it needs to be adjusted.

But again, I work in marketing, and spend more time writing things like "Awesome Exciting New Products That Will Change Your Life" than I do in getting these installed right. Let me know if you dont' get a good answer from our support team.
BestopTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2010, 02:47 PM   #7
ctgretzky99
2011 JK Wrangler 

Geoff,

Thank you very much for the input...No reply yet, Im actually surprised. Was hoping to figure it out over the weekend while temps up here will stay in the 70's and sunny for the weekend. Any adjustments would be good. Then the temps are supposed to drop Monday. To be fair, I bought the top through Morris 4x4 (an advertiser on this site) and they were supposed to get Bestop on the phone and figure it out, so not sure who has dropped the ball. I was supposed to hear back the "latest" today at lunch.

I did not have any plastic included, everything was metal I received. The only plastic piece you can see in the pic, which is that 90 degree plastic retainer thing that I really feel shouldnt be there. It is stitched into the top.

There is a local installer of auto tops and upholstery that I am going to go se tomorrow to see what he says.

Hopefully I can resolve this soon.

Thanks again!

Bill
Unread 03-19-2010, 04:28 PM   #8
pja727
2009 JK Wrangler 

Let us know how everything turns out. I am also inerested in getting a soft top for the summer when i cant have the jeep open due to showers. Also on your pics I see the sat. antenna did you know you can stick it to the roll bar and it works great even through the hard top.
pja727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2010, 08:28 PM   #9
BestopTeam

Morris is a great bunch of people, with good service, and they wanted to take care of you themselves. But that "pass the message along" frequently doesn't work. Send these pictures to CSBESTOP@bestop.com, and say "Crystal: what the hell is wrong..."

She'll get it sorted. This is her. Looks like she's 15, but she's really smart.

BestopTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2010, 09:32 PM   #10
ctgretzky99
2011 JK Wrangler 

PJA-I think the top I got is good quality overall, and really I would recommend it in the respect that I feel it will last a long time, and durable, and a high quality product for the price.

I think the install instructions and drawings kind of blow and are too ambiguous, or perhaps it is just me I truly am usually very good at building just about anything, and my bud had at least some knowledge of installing a factory top (though I know not the same as installing mine).

hey, thanks for the sat antenna tip, I will check it out next winter when I put the hard top on...I assume it goes through the soft top too?

GEOFF- Wow, thanks! Ill email that addy and annoy Crystal, in a good way. Let's hope it gets sorted, Im really jazzed about having it fixed somehow, so I can enjoy it instead of not taking it up and down.
Unread 03-22-2010, 08:05 AM   #11
ctgretzky99
2011 JK Wrangler 

Ok, update:
Brought the jeep and of course the installed top over to a local guy who is second generation owner of Tim's auto tops and upholstery. They sold the business a year ago, but still does work on tops. He's an older dood, and very knowledgeable.

After 2 hours of disassembling, reassembling, using all of his fancy tools,the top still sucks, and is no better. He is as baffled as I am, and he did this for a living for 30 years! His words "Bestop is definitely one of the better quality aftermarket tops, but this one in particular is crap, and does not fit no matter what we do."

Everything was done twice, we ripped the whole assembly apart and redid. Metal still hits metal on the pillars, nothing lines up right. Now, even worse,the screws are self tapping, even they are worn out. No chance to do this again. For the 3rd time of re-assembling the header, we even cut this black tab off we both agreed almost hurts the install one one side to experiment. No better doing this.

Metal fights metal on the top pillar, pillars dont sit right into channels, I mean the whole thing is crap and Im really upset now. 4 hours on my day off this week installing with a buddy with experience, and 3 hours on a Saturday with a "pro" , and I took away time from my 3 kids to try and make this work. Not to mention the guy was going to charge me $150 for the Saturday work, but he felt so bad that I got a useless piece of crap he only charged me $75.

I hate this top...HATE IT. It has ruined my first Jeep experience with soft tops. Buyers remorse, and I so wish I just bought the factory top. With all of the time I put into this, it was such a waste. Going back in time I would have just went to the Jeep dealer.

I am hoping Bestop will just give me back my $850 and let me go on and say that they are a stand up company even if their product didnt work in my particular case, but I'm pretty sure Im screwed. I cant afford to buy a factory top now for $1400 plus install at the dealer for another $200 or so without the $850 back from Bestop to put towards it. Fock.

Uuughhhh...I have to now deal with a top that I hate, is falling apart and metal scratched from taking it apart and putting it together 3 times, and every day I get in my car now I look at the top and am miserable. When I drive I see daylight (dangerous?) and the first time it rains, I am truly going to be cursing. I hate it, I hate it.
Unread 03-22-2010, 08:31 AM   #12
ctgretzky99
2011 JK Wrangler 

Is it true for 2010 the wrangler went through a couple of inch size change? If true, then no wonder nothing fits? Could it be that this 2007-present stock of tops and possibly other accessories are not suited for the slight changes to the 2010 models? Anyone else have a 2010 they are having or had problems with for sizing stuff?

Just curious. Read a couple of articles that pointed out some minor changes to specific 2010 model.
Unread 03-22-2010, 08:37 AM   #13
YellowDuck
2008 JK Wrangler 

Deleted - sorry I was off the mark with my advice.

Last edited by YellowDuck; 03-22-2010 at 09:03 AM.. Reason: Discovered I was full of BS.
YellowDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2010, 09:16 AM   #14
InfernoGirl
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I don't know anything about the JK's at all, but it seems like maybe you got the incorrect top for your application. Considering Bestop makes about a zillion different tops, it would be easy to order improperly or perhaps your order wasn't filled correctly. Check your part #'s and cross reference with Bestop the part # for your Jeep.

I hate that you hate your Jeep right now

01 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L, auto Sienna Mine
07 2D Rubicon Flame Red His
InfernoGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2010, 09:48 AM   #15
ctgretzky99
2011 JK Wrangler 

Yellow duck...even if you delete it here, I get the email with what you wrote.

The problem is, no one from Morris or bestop has emailed me yet to say I have the wrong top, and going through their catalog again, they have 2007-2010 as the same top. When I ordered, I specified 2010 wrangler sport.

If the top is wrong on their end, well even so far I was told "you installed it" so too bad from Morris so far.

Waiting is not my strong suit lol. I own a business too, dealing with much more expensive things than an $850 top, granted, and less volume of product, but when I hear of a client that is unhappy or something is wrong, they get an answer immediately. Not 4 days later.(and I STILL havent heard back.) Yes, Im impatient, probably my largest fault

I just want to send it back now, and either get the correct top if the wrong was sent, or get my $ back and get the factory top. And in the meantime, I hate waiting! lol

Tags
bestop , bestop supertop , JK Wrangler , supertop , wrangler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.