Bestop replacement soft top windows, No Way this thing will fit! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Bestop replacement soft top windows, No Way this thing will fit!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 06-22-2013, 04:04 PM   #1
HighandLow
Stay Frosty...

2010 JK Wrangler 

Bestop replacement soft top windows, No Way this thing will fit!

Any one have these on their Jeep? I ordered the Tinted replacement windows for my softop from Quadratec. As soon as I got it out of the box I knew it wasn't right. The side windows zip right in but the rear window is WAAY too small! Plus, it does not have the tabs like the OEM window to snap down. Even the Tailgate bar is too long for the channel on the bottom.

After trying to zip it up anyway, it was a good 6" short. I called Quadratec and told them it wouldn't fit, so they sent me out a new set. Which of course is the exact same window!

I know they need to stretch a little to fit, but this can't be the right window.

bestop1.jpg   bestop2.jpg  
Unread 06-22-2013, 05:04 PM   #2
wilywillie
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Try sliding the top's corners around so that their inside edges are right at the edges of the rear gate. That's where the zippers are meant to line up, on my OEM at least...

http://i582.photobucket.com/albums/s...earthquake.jpg
wilywillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2013, 05:23 PM   #3
pismo61
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilywillie View Post
Try sliding the top's corners around so that their inside edges are right at the edges of the rear gate. That's where the zippers are meant to line up, on my OEM at least...
Xs 2.That is correct.You may need to unzip the side windows a bit and fiddle abit to get them all in.
Unread 06-23-2013, 10:28 AM   #4
Jiblet
2008 JK Wrangler 

Did you order the correct window for your model year? The rear window was widened at one point, maybe mid model year, sometime around the 2010s or '11s.
Jiblet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2013, 10:35 AM   #5
HighandLow
Stay Frosty...

2010 JK Wrangler 

Yeah, I made sure it was the correct year when I talked to Quadratec. It's hard to see in the pics but the old window is on and I'm holding up the new one in the middle of it. As you can see it's way too small and does not have the flaps needed to clip it in. Also, the locking tailgate bar is about 6" longer than the new window.

Does anyone have theses windows and can show me a pic of how they fit?
Unread 06-23-2013, 12:13 PM   #6
Jiblet
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighandLow View Post
Yeah, I made sure it was the correct year when I talked to Quadratec. It's hard to see in the pics but the old window is on and I'm holding up the new one in the middle of it. As you can see it's way too small and does not have the flaps needed to clip it in. Also, the locking tailgate bar is about 6" longer than the new window.

Does anyone have theses windows and can show me a pic of how they fit?
What's your build date? Maybe you got an '11 top on your '10??

Post the width measurements of your original window and the one they sent you.

edit: my '08 rear window is about 46.5 inches wide.

Can someone with an '11 or later top post the width of their rear window...?
Unread 06-23-2013, 12:54 PM   #7
HighandLow
Stay Frosty...

2010 JK Wrangler 

Thats possible that I have an '11 top. I bought it in '11. And the dealership had to find me a top.
Rough measurements are OEM: 51"x24"
Bestop: 43"x23"
Unread 06-23-2013, 04:22 PM   #8
Jiblet
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Thats possible that I have an '11 top. I bought it in '11. And the dealership had to find me a top.
Rough measurements are OEM: 51"x24"
Bestop: 43"x23"
My 46.5 inches is measures zipper to zipper at the bottom edge.

Question: does your top have plastic retainers strips that have to be manually tucked into the door surrounds at the horizontal edge above the door?
if so, that's an '11.

EDIT: typo... the plastic strips that have to be tucked in were changed for the '11s. I should have wrote: "if not, then that's an '11!!"
Unread 06-25-2013, 09:04 AM   #9
HighandLow
Stay Frosty...

2010 JK Wrangler 

Yeah, it has those! I think y'all have helped me figure out the problem. Like I said, I bought my 2010 when the 2011's were already on the lot. It was the last 2010 they had and it was in the showroom top less. When I picked it up the hard top was on and they could not find the softtop. A week later I picked it up. They must've taken it off an '11.
Unread 06-25-2013, 02:02 PM   #10
JoeCitizen
2012 JK Wrangler 

I got a set of Bestop tinted windows for my 2012 JKU soft top for Christmas. I didn't try putting them on till May. The side windows were fine but dang, that back window was VERY hard to zip shut. And when I got it zipped the window was very wrinkled. Looked like a shower curtain. Called Quadratec whom it was purchased from and gave me not one hassle. They shipped me out a new set in like two days. The next set was WAY better. They look great and I love them. Zip easily too. Must have been a set that slipped through the QC process. The box the original set came in was labeled for my Jeep and I think they were the right ones, just not made correctly at the factory.
JoeCitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2013, 02:27 PM   #11
Jiblet
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Yeah, it has those! I think y'all have helped me figure out the problem. Like I said, I bought my 2010 when the 2011's were already on the lot. It was the last 2010 they had and it was in the showroom top less. When I picked it up the hard top was on and they could not find the softtop. A week later I picked it up. They must've taken it off an '11.
Crap, just edited my post above.

Starting sometime around the '11 models, the soft tops changed to eliminate the plastic retaining strips that had to be tucked in on earlier models. Sorry for the confusion.

But the '11s definitely have a much wider rear window...
Unread 06-26-2013, 03:38 PM   #12
HighandLow
Stay Frosty...

2010 JK Wrangler 

Hmm... Don't know whats going on with the foto's I attached in my first post. or why it wont let me upload one now. But, I found this one on the web. Is this the tab you're talking about? on the bottom left of the window? My OEM window has it. The Bestop window does not. Which one is which year?
Unread 06-26-2013, 04:48 PM   #13
Jiblet
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Hmm... Don't know whats going on with the foto's I attached in my first post. or why it wont let me upload one now. But, I found this one on the web. Is this the tab you're talking about? on the bottom left of the window? My OEM window has it. The Bestop window does not. Which one is which year?
No, the plastic retainer strips are above the driver and passenger doors on the '07-10 model soft tops. Starting with the '11s the drip rail no longer had the retainers.

I figure if you don't have the retainers then you have an '11 top. And that would explain the wider rear window.

Here is an old video. The retainers are removed at the 10 second mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfcLAsl9RtM
Unread 06-26-2013, 05:52 PM   #14
HighandLow
Stay Frosty...

2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCitizen View Post
I got a set of Bestop tinted windows for my 2012 JKU soft top for Christmas. .
Does your new bestop window have the tabs/clips in the back like the pic? My OEM does the bestop does not.
Unread 06-26-2013, 05:58 PM   #15
HighandLow
Stay Frosty...

2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiblet View Post
No, the plastic retainer strips are above the driver and passenger doors on the '07-10 model soft tops. Starting with the '11s the drip rail no longer had the retainers.

I figure if you don't have the retainers then you have an '11 top. And that would explain the wider rear window.

Here is an old video. The retainers are removed at the 10 second mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfcLAsl9RtM
Actually mine seems a little different than that. It doesnt velcro down like that and it does have the plastic sleeves on the top and clips to secure it in like a kotter pin almost.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.