Bestop Bikini Top Safari; JUNK! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Bestop Bikini Top Safari; JUNK!

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 05-15-2007, 08:40 PM   #1
BubbaKelb
2009 JK Wrangler 

Bestop Bikini Top Safari; JUNK!

I ordered the Bestop Safari Bikini Mesh 4 door top. This top is absolutely the worst piece of junk! It is so poorly constructed that the snaps donít even properly line up with the header. Donít even try to use it with the door frames as it is so tight in can only be installed at 80 plus degrees, and is impossible to remove without pliers, even in the sun. Talk about a rush to market. Wait for something much better. Instructions for installation might as well be written by my 3 year old.

BubbaKelb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2007, 09:20 PM   #2
Gasser

I was thinking about buying one of these. I will wait until the report get better or a better product comes out. Thanks for the heads up.
Gasser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2007, 09:33 PM   #3
fourfishes

I TOTALLY DISAGREE!!! We installed ours yesterday and it fit on perfectly. The ride is great with it on - no flapping or extra wind noise. I found it pretty easy to install. The only only thing that needs changing is the strap sizing. Either too long or too short to go over the padded area. It was a simple fix, however. LOVE IT!!!!
fourfishes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2007, 09:40 PM   #4
BubbaKelb
2009 JK Wrangler 

Did you use the door frames or just strap it to the sport bars? Maybe my top was just poorly manufactured. However, even your statement about fastening straps being too short or long seems like major production issues for a company like Bestop where you would expect quality control.
BubbaKelb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2007, 09:48 PM   #5
boidy7

I can't figure out where the looped thing is supposed to go on the sides of the door?? mine always flaps up while going down the road and looks like it's about to fly off. so far i gotta agree it's a piece of sh**!
boidy7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2007, 09:58 PM   #6
fourfishes

I used both the door frame and the sports bars. The velcro was a simple matter of cutting it down. I don't know what the loop is for either. It doesn't interfere with anything or flap while driving.

I still disagree - I think it is well made. It sure fits well on the header and the header fits well on the jeep. It is a great feel to have that open feeling with a bit of protection.
fourfishes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2007, 12:25 AM   #7
rjm2786
2010 JK Wrangler 

The whole bikini duster windjammer upgrade has been a disaster and I am very unsatisfied with the approximatley 400 dollars i have spent on it. Starting with the header.... that was a piece of crap..arrived compltely disasembled......directions were not very good either..wound up with spare parts not even mentioned in the directions (two rubber stopper bolts). the duster.. ordered the khaki and got black......and 20 days later still have yet to receive the windjammer.. i think i will send weverything back tommorow and save up for some new wheels.

P.S. I can spell.... just a terrible typer and it is late
rjm2786 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2007, 07:53 AM   #8
Dirt_sample

BestTop might be having problems with there QA in China where most of the stuff is made. I bought a Trail Cover and it was 5" to short on the sides that clip into the rails. I went back to 4 Wheel Parts and pulled another one out of the box and it fit perfect.
Dirt_sample is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2007, 08:09 AM   #9
boidy7

can anyone get a detailed pic of how you are putting it on with no flapping?? mine flaps like a dying fish.
boidy7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2007, 09:20 PM   #10
SilvRSpeedX3
2008 JK Wrangler 

how does the mesh hold up in the rain, im guessin it lets it in no?
Unread 12-12-2007, 11:53 AM   #11
MacDobhran
2007 JK Wrangler 

Yes, it lets in the rain but not as much as no top. And at speed you hardly notice the rain... well, except for what coats the inside of the windshield. But that's because of the backflow blowing wind in from behind the Jeep.

I use the doorrails (which means the velcro straps aren't need, they're tucked underneath, and I don't have any flapping.

Basically I like it because it cuts down on the sun shining in my eyes on the way home but still gives me that "topless" feeling. It also works well in the woods when wheeling by keeping the leaves and branches out of the cab.
MacDobhran is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2010, 08:31 PM   #12
nradave

Bestop Junk

I can't speak for the safari, but my Bestop Supertop is a piece of crap. Worse yet is that I've contacted Bestop about the problems & they won't get back to me.
nradave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2010, 04:28 AM   #13
Domovoi
2010 JK Wrangler 

holy zombie post Batman!
[COLOR="DimGray"]USN Jeep Club Hull #96[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Blue"][B]Blue Jeep Club #373[/B][/COLOR]

[QUOTE=SunDevilJeeper;11097300]im running two old school KC daylighters and some baja lights, all pointed in one spot. the KCs are positioned to be exactly at the side mirrors of a vehicle 20 feet ahead and the baja lights are positioned up a little so they hit the rear view mirror perfectly with the brights.

it looks like god himself is flashing you...[/QUOTE]
Domovoi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2010, 07:50 AM   #14
ge2
Gold Member

2007 JK Wrangler 

Hahaha..... 1st post and it brings up a 3 year old topic! That is odd.
ge2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2010, 08:03 AM   #15
nradave

Thanks

Since I just got the top, it's a new topic to me. Glad to see that people on the forum are here to help each other though. You've both been a big help. You guys must work for Bestop or something.
nradave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.