Best winter headlights - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Best winter headlights

Jeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side ViewJeep Grand Cherokee Header PanelTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 10-26-2013, 07:44 PM   #1
Gane35
2010 JK Wrangler 

Best winter headlights

Hey, do first forgive me if this is a thread but I spent all afternoon looking into this any didn't find what I'm looking for.

My goal is to uograde from my current stock lighting to a brighter higher out put lights. Here is the catch. I live in canada where we get 6 months of freezing weather a year so I need the lights to produce heat.

Now if at all possible i would like a plug ad play kit. As to the ease, I'm a 20 year old with 0 electrical knowledge. Cost really isn't an issue as I deem proper lighting a safety device. No expense shall be spared.

If anyone has experiences good or bad let them come. But I'm not buying anything led.

Gane35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2013, 08:46 PM   #2
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

I also live in Canada. I just upgraded to a better bulb and also have auxiliary lights for back roads.
2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited. Auto, Tow pkg, Dual Tops, MyGig, Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, Flex-o-lite trans cooler, Mr Grille billet grille inserts, AEV Prem Bumper ETC.. AND a Locked and Lifted Honda Foreman for when the trails get real tight
JTPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2013, 10:43 PM   #3
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Good idea to also aim your headlights. Seems they aren't aimed very consistently from the factory. Due to the sharp cut off on both high and low beam aiming is crucial.
2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited. Auto, Tow pkg, Dual Tops, MyGig, Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, Flex-o-lite trans cooler, Mr Grille billet grille inserts, AEV Prem Bumper ETC.. AND a Locked and Lifted Honda Foreman for when the trails get real tight
Unread 10-27-2013, 12:13 AM   #4
AlbertaJeeper
2013 JK Wrangler 

Canadian Tire always has commercials for their Silverstar or Sylvania or something bulbs...might be worth a shot! Also from Edmonton here...I can't say I've ever had a huge problem with frozen lights when driving, if you clean em off before hand its not usually a problem.

There are also a couple good clubs around here with plenty of people who would be glad to help!
AlbertaJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2013, 01:36 AM   #5
2Five22
2013 JK Wrangler 

Many here try to re-invent the wheel when it comes to auto lighting, but there is no need to.

Here is the definitive source for lighting advice and products: http://danielsternlighting.com/

I am just the chauffeur.
2Five22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2013, 05:27 AM   #6
Gane35
2010 JK Wrangler 

Oh I have no problem with ice up on my lights now. I was just referring to led lighting not melting the snow or ice
Gane35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2013, 05:40 AM   #7
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaJeeper View Post
Canadian Tire always has commercials for their Silverstar or Sylvania or something bulbs...might be worth a shot! Also from Edmonton here...I can't say I've ever had a huge problem with frozen lights when driving, if you clean em off before hand its not usually a problem.

There are also a couple good clubs around here with plenty of people who would be glad to help!
These are helpful, but from tests I've seen, they get their brighter output at the cost of service life.

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2013, 05:47 AM   #8
TheBoss
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Five22 View Post
Many here try to re-invent the wheel when it comes to auto lighting, but there is no need to.

Here is the definitive source for lighting advice and products: http://danielsternlighting.com/
This^^^^
LED lights are a fantastic upgrade if you live in warmer climates that don't experience freezing rain or snow. The Silverstar upgrade is a waste of money on the stock reflectors. Other vehicles I've sworn by them , but other than a color temperature change I don't feel they are worth it.

Until an led manufacture can build them without a heatsink that can melt ice of the lens without melting the internals ,I say Sterns is the way to go.

[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/built-not-bought/"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #690[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson[/COLOR][SIZE="2"][/SIZE]
TheBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2013, 07:52 AM   #9
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Everyone constantly complains about the factory lights. The only complaint I had was the crappy low power bulb they put in from the factor and the fact they were not aimed from the factory. The factory housing is not bad with a decent bulb.
We have run 3 Jeeps as daily drivers on country and highway roads for the last 5-6 years. Silver stars have lasted 3years and still going in 2 of the Jeep and the 3 has PIAA Xtreme white for 4 years so far. As I stated headlight aiming is critical if you want them to work.

My suggestion is do a search for headlight aiming procedure. Then check your headlight aim. Silverstars many times can be had at Canadian Tire for $59 for the pair.

Just don't be one of those guys that puts an HID kit in the factory housing and blinds the sh*t out of everyone.
Unread 10-27-2013, 02:05 PM   #10
sinawalli
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Five22 View Post

X2 on Daniel Stern! Fellow Canuck (Albertan) here, and I did the Cibie H4 upgrade to 65/75 watt bulbs. Huge difference! Well worth it!
sinawalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2013, 02:16 PM   #11
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

Susquehanna / Rallylights motorsports JK Hella reflector, bulbs, and harness upgrade. Allows you to use higher-output bulbs (I bought the Hellas) - however, because they are using the proper incandescent lens - they will be properly focused on the road so as not to blind other drivers. Plenty of light (way more than the stock lamps/bulbs) and plenty of heat for winter driving. Not bad prices. I've had mine for over a year now and I'm totally satisfied. Check out Hilldweller's lighting thread.

I also agree with the Boss that upgrading bulbs in stock reflectors is a waste of money. The wattage doesn't change, the technology doesn't change - therefore the light output cannot change. They only color the bulb so it looks hotter.

SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2013, 03:02 PM   #12
Jiblet
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTPhoto
Everyone constantly complains about the factory lights. The only complaint I had was the crappy low power bulb they put in from the factor and the fact they were not aimed from the factory. The factory housing is not bad with a decent bulb.
We have run 3 Jeeps as daily drivers on country and highway roads for the last 5-6 years. Silver stars have lasted 3years and still going in 2 of the Jeep and the 3 has PIAA Xtreme white for 4 years so far. As I stated headlight aiming is critical if you want them to work.

My suggestion is do a search for headlight aiming procedure. Then check your headlight aim. Silverstars many times can be had at Canadian Tire for $59 for the pair.

Just don't be one of those guys that puts an HID kit in the factory housing and blinds the sh*t out of everyone.
I have to respectfully disagree. The plastic stock lenses sucks regardless of bulb.

OP, start with new lenses, better bulbs (like an H4conversion), and if its in the budget, a wiring harness (Susquehanna/Sterns)

Search for Hilldweller's headlight shoot out.

Edit:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/h...otout-1166827/
Jiblet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2013, 06:12 PM   #13
TheBoss
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubAtomicGenius View Post
Susquehanna / Rallylights motorsports JK Hella reflector, bulbs, and harness upgrade. Allows you to use higher-output bulbs (I bought the Hellas) - however, because they are using the proper incandescent lens - they will be properly focused on the road so as not to blind other drivers. Plenty of light (way more than the stock lamps/bulbs) and plenty of heat for winter driving. Not bad prices. I've had mine for over a year now and I'm totally satisfied. Check out Hilldweller's lighting thread.

I also agree with the Boss that upgrading bulbs in stock reflectors is a waste of money. The wattage doesn't change, the technology doesn't change - therefore the light output cannot change. They only color the bulb so it looks hotter.

Have you found a dependable bulb you like yet .I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on this as the days get shorter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiblet View Post
I have to respectfully disagree. The plastic stock lenses sucks
regardless of bulb.

OP, start with new lenses, better bulbs (like an H4conversion), and if its in the budget, a wiring harness (Susquehanna/Sterns)

Edit:
Yeah, I know. You can pollish a turd all you want , but in the end its still a p.o.s.

[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/built-not-bought/"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #690[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson[/COLOR][SIZE="2"][/SIZE]
TheBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2013, 07:01 PM   #14
Itstime
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Whats the best way to aim headlights sorry if this is a dumb question.
Itstime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2013, 07:19 PM   #15
spinlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiblet View Post
I have to respectfully disagree. The plastic stock lenses sucks regardless of bulb.

Edit:

Some how it seems this thread has digressed, since this discussion is somewhat seems unrelated to snow or environmental conditions, but ...

With equal respect I must disagree with you. The Headlight Shootout clearly shows the stock reflectors are quite good given the beam pattern they generate with both Halogen and HID bulbs. The beam pattern for the HID is far from optimum but given that it was designed for Halogen bulbs and the light pattern of the sources is quite different, the reflector manages to focus the HID remarkably well (but good enough even for government work )

The stock lens is plastic and subject to tarnishing and scratching but inefficiency is transmission is not much lower than glass. If you really want to discuss the nuances of lighting down to the photon level the Candela Forum is a good source.

I do agree with you regarding the harness.
spinlock is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.