Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Best Tuner For The Money

4K views 38 replies 14 participants last post by  SubAtomicGenius 
#1 ·
Hello, I just lifted my 09 2door X with the TF 2.5 sitting on 35 Mickey Thompsons. I've been reading on forums about the best tuner and I've been seeing a lot of people have a great things to say about the Superchips with auto trans but, no talk about people with the manual 6 speed. Would I be better off with something else?

Thanks.

#5 ·
Even the manual trans will benefit from the Superchips. There are more things to tweak besides the auto shift patterns.
It allows you to run 91-93 octane with "proper" timing.
It allows you to set throttle sensitivity
It allows you to set the Speedo limiter
It allow you to set the rev limiter
As well as adjust tire size, gear ratio change, and shut off TPMS.

FWIW running higher Octane with the proper tune will gain you a little power/torque and mileage.

#6 ·
Even the manual trans will benefit from the Superchips. There are more things to tweak besides the auto shift patterns.
It allows you to run 91-93 octane with "proper" timing.
It allows you to set throttle sensitivity
It allows you to set the Speedo limiter
It allow you to set the rev limiter
As well as adjust tire size, gear ratio change, and shut off TPMS.

FWIW running higher Octane with the proper tune will gain you a little power/torque and mileage.
Running higher octane on an engine that does not run higher compression is worthless. Here is a link from the Minnesota Department of Commerce explaining how the octanes relate, it is based off the compression ratio of the engine, something a tuner cannot change).

http://mn.gov/commerce/weights-and-measures/images/OctaneFacts.pdf

throttle sensitivity does not add power

who cares that you can change the speedo limiter, how often do you max the jeep out?

I would personally never change the rev limiter on any vehicle, thats just asking for trouble.

OP does not need a superchips tuner to change those things, he can buy cheaper alternatives

Do you have any proof to your last statement? Higher octane does not mean more power......See my link above.

#8 ·
I have on occasion needed the speed limiter to be higher. The look on the Bimmer driver's face when they have to go over 100 to pass is hilarious.
I can definately tell the difference between 'tow' and the performance tunes, at least with the auto.
Can adjust shift points, but since it's my wifes DD, I don't.
I have not been disappointed with the Flashpaq.

#9 ·
COLOUXJ said:
Running higher octane on an engine that does not run higher compression is worthless. Here is a link from the Minnesota Department of Commerce explaining how the octanes relate, it is based off the compression ratio of the engine, something a tuner cannot change).

http://mn.gov/commerce/weights-and-measures/images/OctaneFacts.pdf

throttle sensitivity does not add power

who cares that you can change the speedo limiter, how often do you max the jeep out?

I would personally never change the rev limiter on any vehicle, thats just asking for trouble.

OP does not need a superchips tuner to change those things, he can buy cheaper alternatives

Do you have any proof to your last statement? Higher octane does not mean more power......See my link above.
Have you done your research?
Have you run a Superchips for any length of time ?
I have for 3 years and there is a difference on premium when properly tuned for it.
The speedo limiter does make a difference on the highway for passing.
The rev limiter only raises the limit to redline, not to over rev.
Throttle response does not increase power just reduces throttle lag.
Superchips does offer Dyno charts for those interested.
If these tuners did not work they wouldn't be the most popular tuner for the 3.8L.

So, to the OP, it's your choice. I like my Superchips and won't run without it.

#11 ·
Have you done your research?
Have you run a Superchips for any length of time ?
I have for 3 years and there is a difference on premium when properly tuned for it.
How's that? What exactly are you tuning that would make a difference?

If the motor's compression ratio isn't high enough, such that it can't compress the fuel mixture to the point where it pre-detonates, you can make all the changes you want and you're still wasting your money buying premium when the motor doesn't require it.

#12 ·
THespos said:
How's that? What exactly are you tuning that would make a difference?

If the motor's compression ratio isn't high enough, such that it can't compress the fuel mixture to the point where it pre-detonates, you can make all the changes you want and you're still wasting your money buying premium when the motor doesn't require it.
If you run your current factory tune with premium you are 100% correct, however, running a tune specific to higher octane makes all the difference. In the old days on a manually timed engine we simply cranked the distributor to advance or retard the timing to suit the fuel we run. Even an 8.5:1 compression engine will show gains with premium fuel when tuned for it, specifically torque. High octane fuel burns slower and produces more power, (longer push, pushing the piston to the bottom of the stroke) but the engine has to be timed properly for the slower burn.
A good analogy would be the difference between modern gun powder and black powder.

#15 ·
yes high octane does burn slower, power gains are negligible unless running high comp, boost etc. btw you are modifying spark timing, most likely, i doubt the superchips actually changes wot fuel delivery or AFR.

in other words, get it if you want it

#17 ·
Superchips recalibates the fuel and spark tables across the rpm range.

yes high octane does burn slower, power gains are negligible unless running high comp, boost etc. btw you are modifying spark timing, most likely, i doubt the superchips actually changes wot fuel delivery or AFR.

in other words, get it if you want it

#18 ·
#23 ·
This clears up a lot for me, a newbie to Jeep.
My Former vehicle, F350 Super Duty 7.3 Diesel, Superchips increased Fuel mileage (5 MPG+) and sicp power. Now I know we are not comparing apples to apples, but Superchips has a solid history, Thinking about this for my next mod.

On The topic of increased octane, in some cases it is a waste, true. However, increases in timing advance will increase power and will require higher octane fuel. Now my experience has taught me this through trial and error in carbureted engines, not EFI, where all that is being done is timing changes, you can tune more power and and increased need for higher octane and it will not be wasted.

Just my 2 cents.

#26 ·
this clears up a lot for me, a newbie to jeep.
My former vehicle, f350 super duty 7.3 diesel, superchips increased fuel mileage (5 mpg+) and sicp power. Now i know we are not comparing apples to apples, but superchips has a solid history, thinking about this for my next mod.

On the topic of increased octane, in some cases it is a waste, true. However, increases in timing advance will increase power and will require higher octane fuel. Now my experience has taught me this through trial and error in carbureted engines, not efi, where all that is being done is timing changes, you can tune more power and and increased need for higher octane and it will not be wasted.

Just my 2 cents.
diesel. Diesel! Diesel!!!!!!

#24 ·
as for the speedo limiter you go over 100 to pass someone? Thats a little fast I would think.

Not exactly what I said. I said being passed by Bimmers at 100.
On I-15 in San Diego at 0600 the average speed is 85, proven fact. Sometimes it's neccessary to get the heck out of the way.
This thread is going nowhere.
Peace out.

#27 ·
COLOUXJ said:
More cleaning. How come we cant delete threads anymore? Or am I missing something.
You provide no evidence that the Flashpaq doesn't work so what makes you right. I know it works. Try it for a couple months then come back here and tell us it doesn't work.

#28 ·
Nope. Still don't get this. Advance the timing and you're going to provide spark before the air/fuel mixture is compressed to the optimal pressure to provide clean burning and the most return on power. The only way I see this working is if the engine wasn't tuned properly to start.

I can appreciate that Superchips has been in business for a while, but I'd like the evidence presented to make sense logically and not be simply anecdotal.

#29 ·
I'll vote Bully Dog. From what I've seen, they have everything I'm looking for. As soon as the 2014 tunes are available I'm ordering one for the new Rubi. However, the Bully Dog offers a little more for Rubicon users than standard users (like allowing the driver to lock their axles in 2wd, 4hi, and 4lo). But, that's just my 2 cents. HP and torque aren't really factors for me though.

#31 ·
Lets get this straight for everybody ... You say you did your research and that you work in a lab BUT you've never used one ? I, like most people would not only find this ignorant but comical.
Maybe we should start debating why you chose the procal or better yet lets hear what mods your currently running or are thinking of running.
Nobodys looking for 400hp out of a jeep with basic mods you need to do real world research instead of preaching to us how smart you think you are. You should also skim the ford and chevy forums on this topic and report back to us.

#37 ·
What is with the insults? I do my research and use my own knowledge before purchasing something, and happen to have come to the conlclusion that I do not want to spend the extra money on something that I cannot find any proof that it ACTUALLY does something, I dont trust the seat of your pants feel, I like numbers.

I am trying to provide a counter point to people saying "ZOMG this thing is legit I get so much POWER!!" by telling people what I have seenand talked with people who have done it. Hell I even was with a GM engineer on a wheeling trip and we discussed chips in detail.

I did look at those forums and its all the same. Some guy comes on saying how big of a difference it is, almost entirely for automatics. The OP has a 6 speed.

I also never insulted you so why are you so butt hurt about what Im saying?

#33 ·
Nobody cares about this ridiculous Superchips argument. Why don't you two take this to PM. The OP was asking about gear and speedo calibration. Offer up your advice and move on.

Why do moderators on JF allow these pissing contests to continue without stepping in and shutting them down? This makes the search function useless. When I first started coming on here the search function was amazing. Now it seems like everyone has to wade through pages of bull**** to get to the actual topic. Which is why there is a thread started everyday beating a dead horse.

#34 ·
Nobody cares about this ridiculous Superchips argument. Why don't you two take this to PM. The OP was asking about gear and speedo calibration. Offer up your advice and move on.

Why do moderators on JF allow these pissing contests to continue without stepping in and shutting them down? This makes the search function useless. When I first started coming on here the search function was amazing. Now it seems like everyone has to wade through pages of bull**** to get to the actual topic. Which is why there is a thread started everyday beating a dead horse.
?? the thread is titled "Best tuner for the money", the argument is about whether a certain tuner delivers what's in the marketing hype, how is this off topic???

I think you're in the wrong thread :shhh:

#35 ·
On topic would be providing facts and links instead of personal insults. Any tuner thread turns into a debate, though, so you're right, I guess it is on topic in normal fashion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.