Best Tuner For The Money - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Best Tuner For The Money

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.c

Unread 09-09-2013, 04:33 PM   #16
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

Seat of your pants testimony rules!!! :P

Gears multiplied by numerically higher gear ratios = more torque/performance. Math.

Oh, and I don't sell R&P kits or do installs for cash, either. I've got nothing to gain.

SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2013, 04:34 PM   #17
Kolak
Vendor

Superchips recalibates the fuel and spark tables across the rpm range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by awinski View Post
yes high octane does burn slower, power gains are negligible unless running high comp, boost etc. btw you are modifying spark timing, most likely, i doubt the superchips actually changes wot fuel delivery or AFR.

in other words, get it if you want it
kolak@aol.com or kolak@kolakperformance.com
Kolak is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2013, 04:57 PM   #18
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

This sums it up for the most part. The key being the engine tune/timing has to be set up to run higher octane or it is a waste of money.

http://mechanics.stackexchange.com/q...and-low-octane
2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited. Auto, Tow pkg, Dual Tops, MyGig, Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, Flex-o-lite trans cooler, Mr Grille billet grille inserts, AEV Prem Bumper ETC.. AND a Locked and Lifted Honda Foreman for when the trails get real tight
JTPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2013, 05:53 PM   #19
awinski
young & dumb

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolak View Post
Superchips recalibates the fuel and spark tables across the rpm range.
i stand corrected
awinski is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2013, 08:55 PM   #20
COLOUXJ
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTPhoto View Post
Have you done your research?
Have you run a Superchips for any length of time ?
I have for 3 years and there is a difference on premium when properly tuned for it.
The speedo limiter does make a difference on the highway for passing.
The rev limiter only raises the limit to redline, not to over rev.
Throttle response does not increase power just reduces throttle lag.
Superchips does offer Dyno charts for those interested.
If these tuners did not work they wouldn't be the most popular tuner for the 3.8L.

So, to the OP, it's your choice. I like my Superchips and won't run without it.
Yes, I have done my research and know how an ICE works.

Im glad you have run it for 3 years. How much HP and torque did you gain? Like I said I like to see proof before I drop $380 bucks on something a company "tests" I work in a testing lab and have seen cases where when a company tests their own product the numbers are tweaked and not actually what happens in real life.

as for the speedo limiter you go over 100 to pass someone? Thats a little fast I would think.

My jeeps rev limiter is already at redline as with most so why be able to change that?

Never said throttle response increases power.

As for dyno charts I said above I have seen companies fudge with those numbers. Where is the third party testing? Again I like real proof. Not marketing hearsay.

These tuners work because people dont do their research. If I paid $380 bucks to a company for something that should make my jeep faster it sure would seem faster to me, even though its probably not even noticeable.

So, my request still stands to anyone. I would love to see some third party results on said tuner before I throw even $100 at it.

Quote:
If you run your current factory tune with premium you are 100% correct, however, running a tune specific to higher octane makes all the difference. In the old days on a manually timed engine we simply cranked the distributor to advance or retard the timing to suit the fuel we run. Even an 8.5:1 compression engine will show gains with premium fuel when tuned for it, specifically torque. High octane fuel burns slower and produces more power, (longer push, pushing the piston to the bottom of the stroke) but the engine has to be timed properly for the slower burn.
A good analogy would be the difference between modern gun powder and black powder.

Your two points here contradict themselves. Black powder burns really slow compared to modern gunpowder. So according to the first bold you should get more power out of regular, no?

You talk about gains but still do not site any information.

As to the link you posted, here is the quote your referring to:
Quote:
Modern engines are designed for some rather high air-fuel mix pressure, if the mix ignites before that pressure is reached the engine just won't work right, because ignition will happen at the wrong moment of the engine cycle. That's why only fuel with right "octane number" should be used for any engine - depending on how that engine is designed, otherwise it just won't work right. The vehicle manual usually specifies which "octane number" is right for that vehicle engine.

You cannot change the compression ratio without changing the internals, and that is what that article is talking about. Your engine should be detonating the fuel air mixture when it is as close to fully compressed as possible and that compression is the same no matter where your timing is at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05x View Post
I agree with JTPhoto i have also run superchips for years and can attest to that.
COLOUXJ - take it down a notch he's not Superchips first customer. it sounds like you drive a smart car
I am not being mean, I just do not like when people spew information that is not true. I know he is not superchips first customer. I bought their flashcal to correct for my 35's and the gears im getting in october.

This is a forum where you can share information and that is what im doing. I am providing a counterpoint to someone claiming gains, because I have done my research about it. Still cannot find any proof of any gains from anyone but Superchips themselves.
Mechanical Engineers Build weapons Civil Engineers build targets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberpyrot View Post
is it a plink plink kerrrrdunk? or more of a brrrrrconk doc doc miiiidge pang!!!? or is it a badonk ka donk? if it is the latter its just the normal fat *** of the JK

COLOUXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2013, 08:58 PM   #21
COLOUXJ
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 

Clean up this a little

Quote:
is it a plink plink kerrrrdunk? or more of a brrrrrconk doc doc miiiidge pang!!!? or is it a badonk ka donk? if it is the latter its just the normal fat *** of the JK

Unread 09-09-2013, 09:06 PM   #22
COLOUXJ
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 

More cleaning. How come we cant delete threads anymore? Or am I missing something.

Quote:

Unread 09-09-2013, 09:22 PM   #23
rpopkin
2013 JK Wrangler 

This clears up a lot for me, a newbie to Jeep.
My Former vehicle, F350 Super Duty 7.3 Diesel, Superchips increased Fuel mileage (5 MPG+) and sicp power. Now I know we are not comparing apples to apples, but Superchips has a solid history, Thinking about this for my next mod.

On The topic of increased octane, in some cases it is a waste, true. However, increases in timing advance will increase power and will require higher octane fuel. Now my experience has taught me this through trial and error in carbureted engines, not EFI, where all that is being done is timing changes, you can tune more power and and increased need for higher octane and it will not be wasted.

Just my 2 cents.
rpopkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2013, 09:39 PM   #24
jimk403
2009 JK Wrangler 

as for the speedo limiter you go over 100 to pass someone? Thats a little fast I would think.

Not exactly what I said. I said being passed by Bimmers at 100.
On I-15 in San Diego at 0600 the average speed is 85, proven fact. Sometimes it's neccessary to get the heck out of the way.
This thread is going nowhere.
Peace out.
Unread 09-09-2013, 10:22 PM   #25
COLOUXJ
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLOUXJ View Post
Then check out the AEV Procal, it will do everything you need for a cheaper price then the Superchips.
And I stand corrected the Flashcal is now on amazon for 145 bucks

http://www.amazon.com/Superchips-357...rds=aev+procal

Quote:

Unread 09-09-2013, 11:04 PM   #26
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpopkin View Post
this clears up a lot for me, a newbie to jeep.
My former vehicle, f350 super duty 7.3 diesel, superchips increased fuel mileage (5 mpg+) and sicp power. Now i know we are not comparing apples to apples, but superchips has a solid history, thinking about this for my next mod.

On the topic of increased octane, in some cases it is a waste, true. However, increases in timing advance will increase power and will require higher octane fuel. Now my experience has taught me this through trial and error in carbureted engines, not efi, where all that is being done is timing changes, you can tune more power and and increased need for higher octane and it will not be wasted.

Just my 2 cents.
diesel. Diesel! Diesel!!!!!!
SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2013, 06:06 AM   #27
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLOUXJ
More cleaning. How come we cant delete threads anymore? Or am I missing something.
You provide no evidence that the Flashpaq doesn't work so what makes you right. I know it works. Try it for a couple months then come back here and tell us it doesn't work.
2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited. Auto, Tow pkg, Dual Tops, MyGig, Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, Flex-o-lite trans cooler, Mr Grille billet grille inserts, AEV Prem Bumper ETC.. AND a Locked and Lifted Honda Foreman for when the trails get real tight
JTPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2013, 07:04 AM   #28
THespos
2013 JK Wrangler 

Nope. Still don't get this. Advance the timing and you're going to provide spark before the air/fuel mixture is compressed to the optimal pressure to provide clean burning and the most return on power. The only way I see this working is if the engine wasn't tuned properly to start.

I can appreciate that Superchips has been in business for a while, but I'd like the evidence presented to make sense logically and not be simply anecdotal.
THespos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2013, 07:06 AM   #29
FleshEater
2014 JK Wrangler 

I'll vote Bully Dog. From what I've seen, they have everything I'm looking for. As soon as the 2014 tunes are available I'm ordering one for the new Rubi. However, the Bully Dog offers a little more for Rubicon users than standard users (like allowing the driver to lock their axles in 2wd, 4hi, and 4lo). But, that's just my 2 cents. HP and torque aren't really factors for me though.
Unread 09-10-2013, 08:00 AM   #30
COLOUXJ
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
You provide no evidence that the Flashpaq doesn't work so what makes you right. I know it works. Try it for a couple months then come back here and tell us it doesn't work.
I have shown my proof with how engines actually operate. But here you go. How are you supposed to create a higher compression in the engine by changing the tuning? More fuel and air shoved in their will do it. But at that point you need to run a turbo or supercharger.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/engine1.htm

Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.