Best Tuner For The Money - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Best Tuner For The Money

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 09-08-2013, 01:57 PM   #1
Thornton93
2009 JK Wrangler 

Best Tuner For The Money

Hello, I just lifted my 09 2door X with the TF 2.5 sitting on 35 Mickey Thompsons. I've been reading on forums about the best tuner and I've been seeing a lot of people have a great things to say about the Superchips with auto trans but, no talk about people with the manual 6 speed. Would I be better off with something else?

Thanks.

Thornton93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2013, 05:37 PM   #2
Tanimal
Why are you reading this?

2008 JK Wrangler 

Go with the AEV procal, fix your speedometer. Choose where you want to shift because you have that option. BOOM you win.

-=-CLICK HERE FOR MY XJ BUILD THREAD-=-

Learning as I go and it's worth every penny!
Tanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2013, 07:17 PM   #3
COLOUXJ
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 

Yea, you will get zero improvement with a tuner. If you want the Jeep to drive like it was stock you will need to regear it.
Mechanical Engineers Build weapons Civil Engineers build targets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberpyrot View Post
is it a plink plink kerrrrdunk? or more of a brrrrrconk doc doc miiiidge pang!!!? or is it a badonk ka donk? if it is the latter its just the normal fat *** of the JK

COLOUXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2013, 07:33 PM   #4
Thornton93
2009 JK Wrangler 

I'm aware of that. I plan on going with 4.56 down the road but in the mean time, I'd like to recal my speedo.
Thornton93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2013, 08:13 PM   #5
JTPhoto
2008 JK Wrangler 

Even the manual trans will benefit from the Superchips. There are more things to tweak besides the auto shift patterns.
It allows you to run 91-93 octane with "proper" timing.
It allows you to set throttle sensitivity
It allows you to set the Speedo limiter
It allow you to set the rev limiter
As well as adjust tire size, gear ratio change, and shut off TPMS.

FWIW running higher Octane with the proper tune will gain you a little power/torque and mileage.
2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited. Auto, Tow pkg, Dual Tops, MyGig, Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, Flex-o-lite trans cooler, Mr Grille billet grille inserts, AEV Prem Bumper ETC.. AND a Locked and Lifted Honda Foreman for when the trails get real tight
JTPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2013, 10:14 PM   #6
COLOUXJ
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTPhoto View Post
Even the manual trans will benefit from the Superchips. There are more things to tweak besides the auto shift patterns.
It allows you to run 91-93 octane with "proper" timing.
It allows you to set throttle sensitivity
It allows you to set the Speedo limiter
It allow you to set the rev limiter
As well as adjust tire size, gear ratio change, and shut off TPMS.

FWIW running higher Octane with the proper tune will gain you a little power/torque and mileage.

Running higher octane on an engine that does not run higher compression is worthless. Here is a link from the Minnesota Department of Commerce explaining how the octanes relate, it is based off the compression ratio of the engine, something a tuner cannot change).

http://mn.gov/commerce/weights-and-m...ctaneFacts.pdf

throttle sensitivity does not add power

who cares that you can change the speedo limiter, how often do you max the jeep out?

I would personally never change the rev limiter on any vehicle, thats just asking for trouble.

OP does not need a superchips tuner to change those things, he can buy cheaper alternatives

Do you have any proof to your last statement? Higher octane does not mean more power......See my link above.

Quote:
is it a plink plink kerrrrdunk? or more of a brrrrrconk doc doc miiiidge pang!!!? or is it a badonk ka donk? if it is the latter its just the normal fat *** of the JK

Unread 09-08-2013, 10:26 PM   #7
COLOUXJ
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thornton93 View Post
I'm aware of that. I plan on going with 4.56 down the road but in the mean time, I'd like to recal my speedo.
Then check out the AEV Procal, it will do everything you need for a cheaper price then the Superchips.

Quote:

Unread 09-08-2013, 10:48 PM   #8
jimk403
Age and experience
2009 JK Wrangler 

I have on occasion needed the speed limiter to be higher. The look on the Bimmer driver's face when they have to go over 100 to pass is hilarious.
I can definately tell the difference between 'tow' and the performance tunes, at least with the auto.
Can adjust shift points, but since it's my wifes DD, I don't.
I have not been disappointed with the Flashpaq.
Unread 09-08-2013, 10:52 PM   #9
JTPhoto
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLOUXJ

Running higher octane on an engine that does not run higher compression is worthless. Here is a link from the Minnesota Department of Commerce explaining how the octanes relate, it is based off the compression ratio of the engine, something a tuner cannot change).

http://mn.gov/commerce/weights-and-m...ctaneFacts.pdf

throttle sensitivity does not add power

who cares that you can change the speedo limiter, how often do you max the jeep out?

I would personally never change the rev limiter on any vehicle, thats just asking for trouble.

OP does not need a superchips tuner to change those things, he can buy cheaper alternatives

Do you have any proof to your last statement? Higher octane does not mean more power......See my link above.
Have you done your research?
Have you run a Superchips for any length of time ?
I have for 3 years and there is a difference on premium when properly tuned for it.
The speedo limiter does make a difference on the highway for passing.
The rev limiter only raises the limit to redline, not to over rev.
Throttle response does not increase power just reduces throttle lag.
Superchips does offer Dyno charts for those interested.
If these tuners did not work they wouldn't be the most popular tuner for the 3.8L.

So, to the OP, it's your choice. I like my Superchips and won't run without it.
2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited. Auto, Tow pkg, Dual Tops, MyGig, Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, Flex-o-lite trans cooler, Mr Grille billet grille inserts, AEV Prem Bumper ETC.. AND a Locked and Lifted Honda Foreman for when the trails get real tight
Unread 09-09-2013, 01:39 AM   #10
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

Regear.
SubAtomicGenius is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2013, 12:55 PM   #11
THespos
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Have you done your research?
Have you run a Superchips for any length of time ?
I have for 3 years and there is a difference on premium when properly tuned for it.
How's that? What exactly are you tuning that would make a difference?

If the motor's compression ratio isn't high enough, such that it can't compress the fuel mixture to the point where it pre-detonates, you can make all the changes you want and you're still wasting your money buying premium when the motor doesn't require it.
THespos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2013, 01:27 PM   #12
JTPhoto
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by THespos

How's that? What exactly are you tuning that would make a difference?

If the motor's compression ratio isn't high enough, such that it can't compress the fuel mixture to the point where it pre-detonates, you can make all the changes you want and you're still wasting your money buying premium when the motor doesn't require it.
If you run your current factory tune with premium you are 100% correct, however, running a tune specific to higher octane makes all the difference. In the old days on a manually timed engine we simply cranked the distributor to advance or retard the timing to suit the fuel we run. Even an 8.5:1 compression engine will show gains with premium fuel when tuned for it, specifically torque. High octane fuel burns slower and produces more power, (longer push, pushing the piston to the bottom of the stroke) but the engine has to be timed properly for the slower burn.
A good analogy would be the difference between modern gun powder and black powder.
Unread 09-09-2013, 01:47 PM   #13
THespos
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
High octane fuel burns slower and produces more power
Do you have a citation for this? I've always read that the differences in energy density between a gallon of 87 and a gallon of 91 are negligible. I've also never heard that high octane fuel burns slower - just that it resists detonation due to compression better than a lower-octane fuel.
THespos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2013, 02:31 PM   #14
05x

I agree with JTPhoto i have also run superchips for years and can attest to that.
COLOUXJ - take it down a notch he's not Superchips first customer. it sounds like you drive a smart car
05x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2013, 03:18 PM   #15
awinski
i like turtles

2012 JK Wrangler 

yes high octane does burn slower, power gains are negligible unless running high comp, boost etc. btw you are modifying spark timing, most likely, i doubt the superchips actually changes wot fuel delivery or AFR.

in other words, get it if you want it

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.