Best tool for cutting pinch seam? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Best tool for cutting pinch seam?

Official Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto UnRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!1999-2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Headlight Pair

Unread 09-05-2012, 01:55 PM   #16
conifers4
2007 JK Wrangler 

Could you use a roto-zip with a metal wheel? That's what I plan to attempt.

Unread 09-05-2012, 04:27 PM   #17
HappyTrails
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Sawzall X2. 20 seconds and you're back to sipping a cold one.
Bunch of other junk.

"Y'all kin say whut y'all want 'bout the South, buy y'all never heard o' nobody retirin' an' movin' North."
HappyTrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2012, 07:20 PM   #18
Coppage
2009 JK Wrangler 

Why are you cutting your pinch seam?
Coppage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2012, 07:40 PM   #19
HappyTrails
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppage View Post
Probably for larger tires to fit in the wheel wells. When I put 37's on mine, I couldn't slide a finger between the rock rails and the tires. So I trimmed the rock rails about 3" and the rear pinch seam about 2.5". Tires stuff into the wheel wells just fine now.
Bunch of other junk.

"Y'all kin say whut y'all want 'bout the South, buy y'all never heard o' nobody retirin' an' movin' North."
Unread 09-05-2012, 07:42 PM   #20
EarsOfLeather

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppage View Post
Sticks out too far. Don't want to be hitting a bump in the road and slammin' that metal triangle into my nice new Duratracs. Used an angle grinder and it came off pretty easy.

Interestingly, my 35 X 12.5" tires fit real nice under my jeep with stock suspension, stock fenders, stock everything. No rubbing, no bump stops needed, lift, no nothin'.

The 4.75" BS on my wheels helped I'm sure, but still, I figured it'd rub at least a LITTLE bit from all the panicky posts I see on here all the time. Grow a pair and throw 'em under there! They fit fine. Obviously I'm not dumb enough to try articulating offroad or anything until I get my lift finished obviously.
Rubicon Express quick disconnects
Currie HD adjustable front trac bar
Old Man Emu HD steering stabilizer
Skyjacker T-case drop kit
AIRAID cold air intake
Kargo Master Safari 60" rack
Smittybilt G.E.A.R. MOLLE seatcovers
EarsOfLeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2012, 06:29 AM   #21
ArticRubi
Arrogant SOB

2008 JK Wrangler 

Plasma cutter. If you're going to be cutting much metal (and if you're jeeping, you will) it is a worthy investment. I got mine from a company in NH that makes them in house, only $389. It'll blow through 1/2" steel like it's not even there.

Linky:
http://plasmametalcutter.com/product...m49lfcdnvc7qo5

Build Thread

Need parts? Need product advice? Contact Jason at Krawl Off-Road
ArticRubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2012, 06:38 AM   #22
paul84043

Chop saki kung-fu chop....
Stare at it threateningly and see if it will just fall off?
One swing of Grabthars Hammer...
Cut a notch in your tires so that it won't touch them.

Just a few more options...
paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2012, 08:31 AM   #23
Silverton34
2012 JK Wrangler 

Didn't I read where some people simply use a BFH and bend the pinch seam over?
Silverton34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2012, 08:38 AM   #24
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArticRubi View Post
Plasma cutter. If you're going to be cutting much metal (and if you're jeeping, you will) it is a worthy investment. I got mine from a company in NH that makes them in house, only $389. It'll blow through 1/2" steel like it's not even there.

Linky:
http://plasmametalcutter.com/product...m49lfcdnvc7qo5
Although I love me some plasma cutter - I would not reach for that tool on the pinch seam. using a cutoff wheel on the die grinder darkened the paint about 1/16" - an easy hit with primer and spray touch up fixed it. The sawsall would probably have done even less - but the reciprocating part is a pain in my thinking.

A plasma cutter would have fried it back at least an inch AND on the backside where you CANT stop rust with spray!!
The Jeep wave - it means nothing. Now I look for the RearView wave. Anyone can cause a guy to readjust his rear view at night. But in the daytime when you roll up behind someone and they adjust their mirror to frame your Jeep straighter - THAT'S a compliment!
jwmbishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2012, 09:52 AM   #25
HappyTrails
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverton34 View Post
Didn't I read where some people simply use a BFH and bend the pinch seam over?
I initially tried that, and said, "Aw, **** that!", took too much effort to barely bend it and isn't very precise. What if you miss and hit the broadside of the Jeep?
Bunch of other junk.

Unread 09-06-2012, 11:52 AM   #26
paul84043

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmbishop View Post
Although I love me some plasma cutter - I would not reach for that tool on the pinch seam. using a cutoff wheel on the die grinder darkened the paint about 1/16" - an easy hit with primer and spray touch up fixed it. The sawsall would probably have done even less - but the reciprocating part is a pain in my thinking.

A plasma cutter would have fried it back at least an inch AND on the backside where you CANT stop rust with spray!!
Really, the sawzall even with a standard demo blade, went right through. Clean cut, no problem at all. If you used a finer tooth blade it would have been even smoother.
I put tape on to minimize side effects, but I really don't think even that was necessary.
paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.