best shocks stock height - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > best shocks stock height

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 08-29-2010, 05:03 PM   #1
Cavi

best shocks stock height

I want to improve the ride quality, especially off road, but I have not lifted nor do I plan on lifting. Which shocks will give the best ride aquality. The stock shocks just do not do a great job on washboard dirt, or rocky

Cavi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2010, 08:08 PM   #2
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavi View Post
I want to improve the ride quality, especially off road, but I have not lifted nor do I plan on lifting. Which shocks will give the best ride aquality. The stock shocks just do not do a great job on washboard dirt, or rocky
At what tire pressure are you using while off roading? If you’re not airing down then most likely that is the problem. Since you haven’t filled out your profile it’s hard to guess what set-up you have. For example, what tires do you have now?

A good set of all terrain’s or better yet mud terrain’s aired down to say 20 psi and gas shocks will make all the difference in the world.
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2010, 06:06 AM   #3
Blu-Jacket
2009 JK Wrangler 

I would have to agree with 1222's comments. If that doesn't improve the ride on the washboards, then you could look at Old Man Emu's. Any chance your stock shocks are just worn out?
Blu-Jacket is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2010, 06:28 AM   #4
Warlord2
2007 JK Wrangler 

Jeeps are not that great for washboard roads...the short wheelbase and solid front end is killer for them. Airing down will help a lot if you havent tried that. The stock shocks are very squishy, I can not see you finding anything softer.
Depending on the road, its sometimes smoother just to hall a$$ over them so you only hit the tops of the bumps.
07 JK 2D X model with 6 speeds. Full Traction 3" ultimate lift kit. 315x75x16 Toyo Open Country M/T on Rock crawler procomp rim. Ruby dana44's front sleeved inside/outside C truss and rear with 5.13's gears. Homemade rock guards, rear bumper w/tire carrier, oilpan/tranny skid, evap canister skid, light bar, switch pod. Riddler diff covers, Cobra 75 w/wilson antenna, Polk speakers, 10" sub, 2x Amps, Lightforce 240 drive light, backup lights, rock lights.
Warlord2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2010, 10:28 AM   #5
Cavi

I don't dissagree on the airing down the tires, just not practical in some situations. The shocks do make a major difference, the stocks shocks are just what one member said, squishy, very little compression resistence and a fast rebound. Ideally a shock with a bit more compression resistence and a slower rebound would handle better. Softer is not allways better. I am not saying that I want harder shocks, just a decent set that actually works a bit.
Unread 08-30-2010, 11:06 AM   #6
Cavi

okay, after a bit of research, I am between 3 shocks, the bilstein heavy duty, the OME standard nitrochargers and their sport nitrochargers. Has anyone here tried the sport nitrochargers? Are they too harsh?
Unread 08-30-2010, 06:12 PM   #7
gsaxe
2007 JK Wrangler 

I have the sport ome sitting in a box, so I cannot tell you yet, got medium duty since I am mostlly stock, but I chose the sport based on conversation with ARB about the fact I do extended washboard driving and am not outfitting to rock crawl. If I get um on soon I'll report here

"Seems like alot and I can't say for a fact that it was all needed but that's what happens from reading forums." Jimk403
gsaxe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2010, 06:20 PM   #8
thedirtman

2007 JK Wrangler 

I have the nitro sport and love the ride but i am also running the heavy duty springs that give me a 4" lift with 33" tires.
thedirtman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2010, 06:35 PM   #9
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Don’t write-off the stock JK Rubi socks, they’re actually very good. With a set of Rubi shocks and your tires aired down they work very good indeed. I live in the desert area and washboard roads are very common. You should be able to get a set of take-offs for next to nothing and save your money for other mods. Just saying…
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2010, 08:08 PM   #10
Cavi

I actually ended up ordering the bilsteins I will update when I get them on next week
Unread 08-31-2010, 04:08 PM   #11
gsaxe
2007 JK Wrangler 

1222 I know your speaking on the OPs behalf but for discussion sake: I thought of rubi take offs but have the X s package (17" rims, hardtop) so I think mine are pretty close to reds. I put a lot on my roof rack I'm hoping the ome will help cornering and stability as advertised although I don't believe it until I get busy and put them on. I find the stock set-up a bit pitchy, bouncy, really too soft but harsh on washboard (and thats comapred to three other solid axle jeeps I have owned not a ford exhibition or cadi) ARB and others here helped me get that stock is soft springs with stiff shocks. I probably misunderstood but with OME I think that will be reversed (gross oversimplification). That and my wifes logic was there still cheaper than tires and VERY important. Of course her logic abouut buying kevlars was that there even more important so J.E.E.P. now about that winch

"Seems like alot and I can't say for a fact that it was all needed but that's what happens from reading forums." Jimk403
gsaxe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2010, 04:38 PM   #12
Cavi

I might agree, however I know for sure that I will see improvement with the bilstein shocks over the stock. If it is still ot enough then I will swap the coils also, but again One change at a time.

Tags
JK Wrangler , oppinions , reviews , shock absorber , shock advice , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.