Best Rock Slider/Step - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Best Rock Slider/Step

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOfficial Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto UnFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 06-08-2012, 08:00 PM   #1
TCHPET2
2012 JK Wrangler 

Best Rock Slider/Step

Hi all,

I am looking for a rock slider that makes a great step. I really like the stock step that comes on the new JK, but need something that can hold up to the rocks. A few I am looking at:

LoD: http://www.lodoffroad.com/xcart/prod...cat=249&page=1
Rock Hard: http://www.rockhard4x4.com/product_p/rh-6007-s.htm
Rock Slide Engineering: http://www.quadratec.com/products/12059_0201.htm
PureJeep: http://www.quadratec.com/products/12048_3000_07.htm
Warrior: http://www.quadratec.com/products/13042_501_07.htm

I would really like to find some that offer the nice wide step of the stock, can handle the rocks, and will work with the stock mud flaps. I always take off the mud flaps when off-roading, but lke the protection the mud flaps offer to the side of the Jeep.

Any thoughts on the ones above? Or others that might work?

Thanks.

TCHPET2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2012, 08:15 PM   #2
ozjeep
2011 JK Wrangler 

The ace rocker looks like it would be a decent step and it's a good price. Some guys dont like how it doesn't weld to the frame though. Just another idea. Might check it out.
Unread 06-08-2012, 09:05 PM   #3
1989 YJ Wrangler 

HI,
Check out Tomkin Machine. I have some on my YJ and like them very much. Am thinking about getting some for the JKU. Very strong, very handy. Not cheap as is true for most good things.

Sparky
Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2012, 09:08 PM   #4
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

TeraFlex makes a nice aluminum slider/step - believe Molshove is rocking one on his rig. I've got the Poison Spyder "Rocker Knockers" on the way - I don't think they make a good 'step' though.
SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2012, 09:15 PM   #5
kosmos

2012 JK Wrangler 

I have been real happy with my ACE sliders - I can tell you they
hold up well in the rocks. Work great as a step. (I added some
no slip tape to the top of mine)

3M no slip on the top (yes it hurts if you brush up on it with bare skin)
2012 JK Rubicon in Flame Red, ACE Rock Sliders, LoD Stubby Stinger front, LoD Stubby rear,Rock-Krawler 3.5" X factor Pro mid-arm, RCV ultimate front axles, Warn PP HP, 37" KM2s on AEV Savegre wheels, 10 Factory rear axles,MC front Fenders, Reid Knuckles,aFe Cold Air
kosmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2012, 10:43 PM   #6
Rudinater
2009 JK Wrangler 

The Rock Slide Engineering and Terraflex and very close to the same thing. The main difference is that the Teraflex ones extend under the fender flares in front and back. While the Rock Slide Engineering ones are cut at the same angle as the flares and end even with them.

I have the step sliders from Rock Slide Engineering and love them. Most people ***** about the price however.

Red 09 Unlimited Rubicon - Teraflex 4inch long arm lift, Elka shocks, 5:38 gears, 37inch GY MTR's, Expedition Core front bumper with Warn PowerPlant HD, RS-E rear bumper and carrier, RS-E step rock sliders.
Rudinater is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2012, 10:50 PM   #7
LVCapo
The Voice Of Reason

2013 JK Wrangler 

Ace makes a weldable rock slider as well...A friend has the Ace sliders and they are very nice.
I had the Body Armor sliders, made a great step but offered no protection underneath, which I think is an important feature.
LVCapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2012, 08:48 AM   #8
TCHPET2
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudinater
The Rock Slide Engineering and Terraflex and very close to the same thing. The main difference is that the Teraflex ones extend under the fender flares in front and back. While the Rock Slide Engineering ones are cut at the same angle as the flares and end even with them.

I have the step sliders from Rock Slide Engineering and love them. Most people ***** about the price however.
How easy was the installation? Drilling into the body concerns me a bit, but they do look nice! Can a guy get the body bolts in black?
Unread 06-09-2012, 08:51 AM   #9
TCHPET2
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosmos
I have been real happy with my ACE sliders - I can tell you they
hold up well in the rocks. Work great as a step. (I added some
no slip tape to the top of mine)

3M no slip on the top (yes it hurts if you brush up on it with bare skin)
I may need to check them out. I didn't think they were wide enough (from edge of body) to make a decent step, but from your picture, they are wider than I thought.
Unread 06-09-2012, 08:52 AM   #10
TCHPET2
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karma
HI,
Check out Tomkin Machine. I have some on my YJ and like them very much. Am thinking about getting some for the JKU. Very strong, very handy. Not cheap as is true for most good things.

Sparky
I will take a look. Thanks!
Unread 06-09-2012, 08:54 AM   #11
TCHPET2
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jezzalachis
TeraFlex makes a nice aluminum slider/step - believe Molshove is rocking one on his rig. I've got the Poison Spyder "Rocker Knockers" on the way - I don't think they make a good 'step' though.
I really like the Poison Spyder stuff! If I only didn't need a step
Unread 06-09-2012, 11:55 AM   #12
FlyingMonkey
2007 JK Wrangler 

The Ace sliders are on my to do list. Only concern is the weight is distributed to the body mount bolts when on a rock.
FlyingMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2012, 03:18 PM   #13
NapaWheeler
2011 JK Wrangler 

I'll throw this in since you're already looking at some of the more expensive options. Poison spyder brawler rockers. They're tough, hold up on rocks, attach to body and frame, and the step is perfect.

My 3-year-old can get into the Jeep by herself now that they're on. They also integrate surprisingly well with the stock fenders.

I only wish the aluminum ones were available when I purchased mine so I could've been a little more mindful of weight. That said, I was still able to install them myself so not too heavy.

I think the PSC vendor put a link up to my photos if you want to see them. I'm pretty proud of them and have had more than a few guys come up and complement them, even at the dealer.
NapaWheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2012, 05:12 PM   #14
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHPET2 View Post
I really like the Poison Spyder stuff! If I only didn't need a step
Personally, I don't mind the climb - I've got NO steps on my rig as of now - makes me smile everytime I climb to get aboard. On the other hand, Poison Spyder also makes a step-version rockslider - I believe they also make one in aluminum like the TeraFlex one.
SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2012, 10:38 PM   #15
TCHPET2
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jezzalachis

Personally, I don't mind the climb - I've got NO steps on my rig as of now - makes me smile everytime I climb to get aboard. On the other hand, Poison Spyder also makes a step-version rockslider - I believe they also make one in aluminum like the TeraFlex one.
Really? I would be VERY interested if they made a step version! As of tonight, I am leaning toward the ace rails with the Rubicon Rails... If I can find a used set of Rubicon Rails. Otherwise, I might just do ace and take off steps when 4x4ing. Just switch back and forth, although I am pretty lazy....

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.