Best Rear Bumper & Tire Carrier?? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Best Rear Bumper & Tire Carrier??

Up to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer PurchaseFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectPoison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955

Unread 05-29-2010, 10:20 PM   #16
lotus03
2009 JK Wrangler 

thats cool you can install independently. I'm gonna do it all at once but that is nice. How is the tire carrier for opening and closing? Is it too tight and not smooth enough you think? Does the tail gate shake or make a weird noise when you hit a bump? Thanks

Unread 05-30-2010, 08:03 AM   #17
Blu-Jacket
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrestlerobx View Post
got any more details on this. like maybe how it installs please???

dscn1827.jpg

The is how the carrier attaches to the frame. The saddle block fits in place of the stock tire carrier for the swing arm to rest against. The stock bumper is notched out for the carrier spindle to fit and a 2 3/4 hole is drilled through the top.
Blu-Jacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2010, 10:57 AM   #18
mclaggan123
jeepaholic

2006 LJ Wrangler 

yes ive seen the aev and all the others. my jeep clubs have plenty of jk's and just about everyone has a differant bumper. after seeing all of the differant ones i went with lod because of the look, toughness, and capabilities. the folks in my clubs love the way the jerry cans mount and the trail rack and the high lift. for me it was the best way to go. good luck and let us know what you get.

2006 Rubicon unlimited, silver. 5.5" long arm lift. 35" BFG KM2's on 15" black steelies. skidrow steering skid and radiator skid . LOD rear bumper with tire carrier. Flowmaster 44 exhaust. .CB with tuffy Overhead storage . Offroad lights in bumpers front and rear plus 2 more on the winch hoop.
mclaggan123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2010, 11:10 AM   #19
lotus03
2009 JK Wrangler 

thnx, I like LoD too. If you could have an AEV, Shrockworks, Expedition One, LoD, Hanson or olympic rear bumper for free....which one would you choose?
Unread 05-30-2010, 11:34 AM   #20
BrettDez
2012 JK Wrangler 

I would still choose LoD. AEV doesn't have a good place to mount anything. Can't go wrong with quality, sturdiness, looks, and modability.
"The Smurf": --Pic 1-- --Pic 2-- --Pic 3-- --Pic 4--
Previous Jeeps: --2007 Jeep Wrangler JK Rubicon-- --2003 Jeep Wrangler TJ Rubicon-- --1987 Jeep Wrangler YJ--
BrettDez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2010, 12:06 PM   #21
mclaggan123
jeepaholic

2006 LJ Wrangler 

i would still choose lod also. like i said i have checked out all of them and it was a toss up between shrockworks and lod. the lod was a little cheaper and i liked how it bolted up better and the way things mounted to it better.

2006 Rubicon unlimited, silver. 5.5" long arm lift. 35" BFG KM2's on 15" black steelies. skidrow steering skid and radiator skid . LOD rear bumper with tire carrier. Flowmaster 44 exhaust. .CB with tuffy Overhead storage . Offroad lights in bumpers front and rear plus 2 more on the winch hoop.
mclaggan123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2010, 01:50 PM   #22
Abner
2010 JK Wrangler 

The Olympic Rear Winch Bumper - Don't ask me how I like it yet, I'm in Iraq and the wife just took it in for me and had it installed. Can't wait to get home and play with it! (sorry it's not the best pic)
100_0924.jpg  
Abner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2010, 07:11 PM   #23
lotus03
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaggan123 View Post
i would still choose lod also. like i said i have checked out all of them and it was a toss up between shrockworks and lod. the lod was a little cheaper and i liked how it bolted up better and the way things mounted to it better.
Shrockworks has various holes in theirs for creative mounting the website says. Seems like mounting is best with shrockworks. I'm gonna take a closer look at LoD again...
Unread 05-30-2010, 07:18 PM   #24
Pumbaa
2008 WK 

JP Magazine recently did a big write up on JK Rear Bumpers and Tire Carriers
Pumbaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2010, 04:18 PM   #25
Mtnmn99
2008 JK Wrangler 

I just did this same install this past weekend. I second the thoughts below. My only complaint is it is going to be a Pain in the butt to replace the bulbs on the lights when they go out.

Everything else is solid.

PP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettDez View Post
Well, this is my third bumper. I started wih stock plastic crap, then upgraded to a Mopar Offroad Bumper, 3 years later I decided I really needed a tire carrier and upgraded to the LoD Signature Series Full Width Gen2 Rear Bumper & Tire Carrier.

I LOVE it! It is impeccable quality. Much better than the mopar one I had. And the lights are just awesome. It looks great, functions great, and has tons of modability with mounting jacks, jerry cans, and/or cargo carriers to it.

Not going to say it's the best because I have only had the mopar and LoD now, so I can't say from an ownership experience what is best. But I LOVE my LoD.

1995 YJ My Rockrig
http://offroadjournal.blogspot.com/
www.wheelingpiazzas.com
Mtnmn99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2010, 08:40 PM   #26
Charles
2008 JK Wrangler 

This bumper allows you to open the rear gate and tire carrier at the same time. http://www.expeditionone.biz/jk_wrangler-1tsrb.html That will be my NEXT bumper when the time is right.
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2010, 11:39 PM   #27
OregonVette
2008 JK Wrangler 

I wanted the LoD but it doesn't work with the oem tow pkg... so, Mopar here I come as it has tow, decent fit, priced around 450-600. I really like exp one stuff. but dayummmm 1300+ is pretty steep.
It's hard to give you good advice at this point. It's almost like you're saying, "I want to have sex, but don't want to get her pregnant. I can't afford condoms, so for now I just want to use Saran Wrap. What brand would you recommend?"
OregonVette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2010, 10:52 AM   #28
Mtnmn99
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonVette View Post
I wanted the LoD but it doesn't work with the oem tow pkg... so, Mopar here I come as it has tow, decent fit, priced around 450-600. I really like exp one stuff. but dayummmm 1300+ is pretty steep.
I have the OEM tow package and the LOD has a reciever hitch, there are two bolts that go into the frame I amde a bracket and mount for my tow hooks to mount into. I have pulled my M-416 Military trailer loaded with no problems at all. I dont see any reason why the tow package should stop you if this is what you want.

PP
1995 YJ My Rockrig
http://offroadjournal.blogspot.com/
www.wheelingpiazzas.com
Mtnmn99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.