Best place to tap into wire to make hazard lights flash? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Best place to tap into wire to make hazard lights flash?

Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsWe have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!TJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 12-14-2014, 01:19 AM   #1
AveCat
2012 JK Wrangler 

Best place to tap into wire to make hazard lights flash?

Installing an alarm system and am looking for the best place to tap into a wire to make the hazards flash? and what color that wire is.

Thanks!

Unread 12-14-2014, 05:01 PM   #2
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

Why not use the interface for the alarm you are installing. You may find the wire - but flashers AND park lights are CanBUS controlled - I tapped in wrong on a CanBUS Ford Motorhome and it was very expensive - cooked the headlight switch, dash light switch, and required a reflash...
Unread 12-14-2014, 07:36 PM   #3
AveCat
2012 JK Wrangler 

What do you mean by, use the interface?
Unread 12-15-2014, 09:34 AM   #4
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

Alarm makers also make a CanBUS interface unit that plugs in line to the computer wiring harness - and you wire the alarm to it rather than to the individual wires - interfacing the alarm with the CanBUS has the effect of the alarm telling the CanBUS to light the light - rather than supplying the 12v output from the alarm into the single wire... the interface for the JK is around 65.00 - as quoted in my bid to have a complete (remote start, 2 stage proximity, g-force and hood/door tamper) package installed.

Google "CanBUS interface for ______ alarm" (which alarm are you using?).
Unread 12-15-2014, 05:00 PM   #5
AveCat
2012 JK Wrangler 

You rock!
It's a viper.
Unread 12-15-2014, 05:05 PM   #6
AveCat
2012 JK Wrangler 

One issue is that I don't have the oem door locks.
Unread 12-16-2014, 09:31 AM   #7
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AveCat View Post
One issue is that I don't have the oem door locks.
I THINK you then just pair the lock trigger wires to the non oem harness rather than run through the interface with em... I would have to test it out (alarm unit voltage out when lock unlock, and voltage required for cycle). Some locks are three wire (G, L and U), some (mostly European) are two - G and cycle (two wire are distinctive - operating one lock operates em all).

I wont be doing my alarm til March... I was looking at the viper - my local alarm and trim guy quoted me a generic brand with all the same features, installed for about 100 more than what I would pay for just the viper and have to do the install myself. It's like my hearing aids - I wear Audibels but the same company makes Starkey which is 60% the cost of the Audibels (BUT I got the Audibels for the price of the starkeys - frequent flyer!) - the alarm he is using comes off the same line as the viper - just not branded and advertised... and he's going to co-ordinate with my work (am decking the back seat in and adding inverter, heat exchanger, water tank and refer along with locking side boxes made for the fenders and a removable headache wall) so it will go in phases.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.