Best lift kit??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Best lift kit???

2007-2014 Jeep Wrangler Black (Paint to Match) Grille2007-2014 Jeep Wrangler Black Sun Shade (Rugged Ridge)Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 10-07-2012, 11:25 PM   #1
jydee22

Best lift kit???

Whats the best 2.5' or 3' lift kit on the market??

jydee22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2012, 12:01 AM   #2
Coolcatracing
2008 JK Wrangler 

That is way too broad of a question. It depends on what you want to do. There are numerous high quality kits and the each come with different components to suit each need.
08 Unlimited Rubicon 6 speed, 315/70-16 Kelly TSR, 1.5" Spidertrax spacers factory Moab's, Rubicon Express Flex arm 3.5" lift, Smittybilt XRC front bumper with D-rings, Body Armor Extreme rock slider steps, AEV snorkel, trimmed fender flares, Hella 8" HID driving lights
Coolcatracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2012, 05:53 AM   #3
brianjw
2012 JK Wrangler 

Depends entirely on what you want to do with the jeep, how much you want to spend, and maybe even how much regular maintenance you want to do.
What's more important? On road ride and handling, carrying heavy weight and towing, rock crawling, etc.?
brianjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2012, 08:49 AM   #4
HappyTrails
Registered Voter w/ID

2008 JK Wrangler 

w/ those posts above. Read through this thread (for 2-door JK's): http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/l...r-pics-797311/ or this thread (for 4-dr JK's): http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/l...s-only-808175/ to get some ideas of what people prefer and why.

Best idea is to wheel it stock, find out how/where you ride and pick a kit best suited to your needs. Many different ways to ride: Rock Crawling, dune running, mud bogging, mall crawling (posers who never hit the trails...i.e. H2's), forest service trails, etc.
Re-inventing the circle and straight line.
HappyTrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2012, 01:34 PM   #5
4wdjeepguy
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Full currie with OME coils.
4wdjeepguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2012, 01:55 PM   #6
LVCapo
The Voice of Reason

2013 JK Wrangler 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/d...hread-1410631/
LVCapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2012, 02:39 PM   #7
HappyTrails
Registered Voter w/ID

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by unlrubicon05 View Post
Full currie with OME coils.
LOL, well....he DID ask what's the BEST lift kit out there. That is certainly a good one. Only he can figure out if it is best one for him, though.
Unread 10-09-2012, 05:00 PM   #8
Banfur

Lift kits are over this girls head

Ok, so I have the same question and, for you seasoned jeep owners, please try not to laugh. We all gotta start somewhere. Went to talk to a guy at a local tire place and he kinda freaked me out about adding a lift and bigger tires. He kept on and on about how hard it is on the jeep when you add these things. I drive a lot of highway miles but would also like to do some off road trails. Wanna keep my commute to work comfortable but want some off road capability. Want to do this right but I don't know where to begin. I feel like I'm over my head and I'm gonna be stuck with one of those why buy a jeep, jeep if its gonna look like that.
Banfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2012, 05:33 PM   #9
Jackal01

2011 JK Wrangler 

We laugh at how general the question is. Just like asking "What is the best car on the market?" Of course we all should answer with "A Jeep". Too many factors to just answer. Too many opinions, too. HappyTrails and Capper5016 both posted threads on the topic and that is where one can begin research on the proper lift.

Jackal01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2012, 06:02 PM   #10
HappyTrails
Registered Voter w/ID

2008 JK Wrangler 

Banfur, the tire dealer is speaking the truth. However, us Jeepers are a little hard of hearing and slow in understanding. hehe...

Sure, the heavier tires are more stress on the suspension and drivetrain. That's why we do mods elsewhere (ball joints, driveshafts, gears, axles, etc.). But it is not like your Jeep is going to suddenly fall apart on the side of the highway someday.

Just understand that in addition to the lift kit and big tires, a lot more goes on to make our Jeeps trail-worthy. There is a lot of stuff you don't see at first glance when you look at a lifted Jeep.

Once you get your Jeep lifted and on bigger tires, you'll find a whole bucket load of reasons to further modify it. Some costmetic, some mechanical. It can become an expensive hobby, but it is also extremely satisfying and fun!

Read through those threads for a while and ask questions. Don't sweat it. I was in your shoes at one point, also. Figure out how you want to use your Jeep. Mine is built for rock crawling. If you are looking for great street manners and occasional off-roading, AEV makes a great lift kit for that. Their lower control arm drop brackets keep it feeling as close to stock as possible. However, you lose a couple of inches in ground clearance.

The one truth out there about Jeeps is: J.E.E.P = Just Empty Every Pocket
Unread 10-09-2012, 06:07 PM   #11
jeepmt
2008 JK Wrangler 

AEV
Unread 10-09-2012, 06:10 PM   #12
HappyTrails
Registered Voter w/ID

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepmt View Post
AEV
LOL, well...to each his own. Banfur was looking for a comfortable highway ride, not a rock crawler or dune buggy.
Unread 10-09-2012, 07:05 PM   #13
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Without getting into a huge debate on lifts (touchy subject these last few months) Iím going to suggest like already mentioned and say to read up on the subject.

There are so many lift kits on the market from mild to wild and just as many opinions too. No need to get caught up in long drawn out builds either. Get a pen and paper and right down notes as you do your research and then narrow your choice to two or three. If you get stuck on some of the terminology, ask away for help. Also donít limit yourself to just this forum, see what a few of the others are saying too; just remember to return here when done.
Unread 10-10-2012, 06:30 AM   #14
4wdjeepguy
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepmt View Post
AEV
Their coils are good, but their kit retains the factory control arms
4wdjeepguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2012, 07:46 AM   #15
HappyTrails
Registered Voter w/ID

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by unlrubicon05 View Post
Their coils are good, but their kit retains the factory control arms
Yes, factory control arms are reused. They use control arm lowering brackets to keep the geometry as close to stock as possible. Downside is the the brackets hang down a couple of inches below the frame, decreasing ground clearance at those points.

From what I hear, people who have the AEV kits swear it is the the best road-handling lift kit out there. YMMV

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.