Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Best lift ?

1K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  SLADE 
#1 ·
Just bought a new Rubicon and looking into lifts. Looking for input on lifts, experiences good and bad.

#4 ·
There's a bunch of lifts that all suit different needs. I ended up with the AEV 2.5" kit and so far it rides great. If I hadn't gone AEV I would've gone with Teraflex. I don't like RoughCountry and avoid SkyJacker kits at all costs. To each their own though. Let us know what you want to do with your Jeep and we can provide some more info.

#5 ·
Just depends on what you want. There are plenty of good lift manufacturers like Metalcloak, Synergy, Teraflex, AEV, and others.

You can combine a small 1"-2.5" lift with flat flares or a 1"-1.25" Body lift to increase tire clearance without effecting suspension and steering which is easier on the budget and doesn't effect handling as much.

Need to start by deciding what you want your end goal to be.

#6 ·
as mentioned above, the best lift is always going to be budget limited... or depending on your financial standing, unlimited.
also need to know your intended use and expectations... on road and off road expectations.

#7 ·
Over all you should be thinking use. jeep is better than driver, unless you have skills; when skills fail tends to end in bills, no matter what is being drove...A rubicon in stock form will do much more than a sport can dream off and most driver wont push a new rubi that hard anyway. So if the lift is for say running the harder trails of the USA and you cant make it over 3+ foot boulder fields with out beating the bottom to a pulp of twisted steel, you need a best lift?

3" lifts+
A Good?best lift is fully adjustable; meaning every suspension link. The ends of the links is between very good bushings or the John'y Joint< still my favorite.,. Track bar mounts axles. It should have replaced all stock ones, here is where Roll centers play in. The higher the axle side mounts can be the flatter center of the roll point from the frame side is MUCH better, flatter. It will handle far better and keep things centered through travel better. But raising the front track bar mount means you must flip the steering drag link(3+ lifts only ). That is not included in even the more expensive lifts. Though AEV's full kit will; but uses cheap drag link from Jeep not a Alloy steel one like most kits. as well as any tire rode joint from jeep is junk, like the ball joints. when pushed. Lift plus steering changes and possible drive shafts, we start getting into 4k+.
2-2.5 Most needs are filled with less cost you have that look that 99% only think of. Off road though the worst thing about a JK is belly height in the end. Only since its something no one but the few and brave have ever done its custom.
But again i could lift a jeep for far less too. There are many lifts out there that for a song will give you 4.5 lift and claim is all you need and its only 800$< this forum is built on question on why.

My2c about Aev. Is a great way to start a franken jeep. I made that mistake in 2011 on this then new 12. few hardcore trails i was bending Aev Geo brackets they will NOT take a lateral load at all, will fold inward. To thin of plate there that should have been at least 3/16 not 1/8. No arms so if you need drive shaft you cant dial in nothing. Total waist really. Now my jeep has Currie, Synergy parts that have replaced most of it. At the time though i was coming from Cjs and did not know then that my first mistake was buying the Jkr. I should have bought a buggy and finished someone else project/repaired that. A jk No matter how much money we waist will never be a rock buggy. The parts on Jk are very expensive as well over all compared to say Tjs-cjs..

#9 ·
You still haven't really defined your needs, just what you want it to look like.
What is the intended use? Crawling malls, or crawling rocks? What kind of budget? There's a wide selection of lift kits available in various performance and price ranges.
Either way, 4 inch is way more than you need for 35s and adds a ton of cost, as you need to change out a lot more stuff.
You can actually do 35s with no lift, with the right fenders. Mine is on 35s with 2.5" of lift.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.