Best KC fog light combo for windshield and bull bar - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Best KC fog light combo for windshield and bull bar

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 03-03-2013, 07:43 PM   #1
Westinghouse

Best KC fog light combo for windshield and bull bar

Looking to add KC fog lights to the windshield and my custom bumper mounted bull bar. Please look at the following site and advise as to the best items for me to purchase:

http://www.quadratec.com/products/pr...&mn=KC+HiLITES

Westinghouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2013, 08:06 PM   #2
toxicwaste29
2012 JK Wrangler 

windshield put spot lights and then for the bumper flood lights, at least thats what i would do.
toxicwaste29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2013, 08:09 PM   #3
TJeep32
2009 JK Wrangler 

long range kc slimlites on the windshield, and fog slims on the bull bar, if u put fog lights on the windshield it will do nothing but light up your hood.
TJeep32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2013, 09:26 AM   #4
MeatCurtains
2012 JK Wrangler 

Yeah, you want your most directly focused beam up high, and the broad beam in front of the grill.

If I may make a recommendation, I have a set of PIAA 520 ATP, they were a little costly but man are they fantastic. I replaced a set of KC's I had on my 2011. I'm pretty glad I did. If you can swing them I would highly recommend them.
MeatCurtains is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2013, 09:39 AM   #5
TJeep32
2009 JK Wrangler 

My bumper has fog lights so i went with long range for both set, the are crazy bright

20130124_120643-1.jpg
forumrunner_20130304_113919.jpg

Sent from my GS2 using JeepForum
Unread 03-04-2013, 10:47 AM   #6
toxicwaste29
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatCurtains View Post
Yeah, you want your most directly focused beam up high, and the broad beam in front of the grill.

If I may make a recommendation, I have a set of PIAA 520 ATP, they were a little costly but man are they fantastic. I replaced a set of KC's I had on my 2011. I'm pretty glad I did. If you can swing them I would highly recommend them.
Hey i also have a set of PIAA 520 atp. Nice to see im not the only one to find them amazing
Unread 03-04-2013, 11:05 AM   #7
MeatCurtains
2012 JK Wrangler 

I don't know if they are brighter, but they do a much better job of lighting what you want to see. They also don't seem to get as hot as my KC's did. They still get warm, but my KC's would get super hot. Could be the difference between the wattage of the two. If I'm not mistaken then PIAA's are 85ish watts and the KC's I had were 130.
MeatCurtains is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2013, 11:14 AM   #8
TJeep32
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
I don't know if they are brighter, but they do a much better job of lighting what you want to see. They also don't seem to get as hot as my KC's did. They still get warm, but my KC's would get super hot. Could be the difference between the wattage of the two. If I'm not mistaken then PIAA's are 85ish watts and the KC's I had were 130.
130 is what mine are

Sent from my GS2 using JeepForum
Unread 03-04-2013, 11:42 AM   #9
toxicwaste29
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
You might be mistaken on the 85 watts, they are 110 watts. And when the light up its not a tint yellow or anything, its pure white. literally like driving during the day.
Unread 10-10-2013, 03:02 PM   #10
ciphershort
2009 JK Wrangler 

I realize this thread is a few months old, but I've been researching this topic for a week straight and still don't really know what is best. I have a black JK so I'm not sure if I would get as much glare from windshield lights as others. The majority of people that I've seen complain of hood glare have light colored Jeeps (white, sliver, tan). I'm not going to be able to do both windshield and bumper lights at the same time, but in the end I'll have both. I'm torn between the following configurations:

A:
Bumper - KC Slim Fog/Flood
Windshield - KC Slim Driving

B:
Bumper - KC Slim Driving
Windshield - KC Slim Long Range

C:
Bumper - KC Slim Fog/Flood
Windshield - KC Slim Long Range

I do a lot of camping/backpacking in the spring and fall and some of those roads to the trailheads are crazy dark. What would you guys recommend?
ciphershort is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2013, 03:48 PM   #11
HappyTrails
Registered Voter w/ID

2008 JK Wrangler 

Option C.

I have KC Slim Driving lights (100W) on the windshield mounts. I don't worry too much about the hood glares (yellow JK...so, yes there is some). I have them aimed a little to the right and to the left. Helps me see off to the sides (for curves) as I navigate through the woods, and being up there, less likely to get covered with mud. Not ideal set up. When I get around to finishing other mods, I'll put some spots on the windshield mounts and move the Driving lights to the front bull bar.
Re-inventing the circle and straight line.
HappyTrails is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2013, 04:32 PM   #12
gsaxe
2007 JK Wrangler 

I have the 120 spots and driving on my bumper, they are pretty fwaken brite
dsc03153.jpg

"Seems like alot and I can't say for a fact that it was all needed but that's what happens from reading forums." Jimk403
gsaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2013, 05:42 AM   #13
MrZ71
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Might want to check out some of the led options out they use much less power compared to the normal lights

five 100w lights on the top of the windshield is about 42 amps of power you need to get up there so that is a fairly large wire to run as the main feed
l____l 09 JKU Sahara Rock Krawler 2.5
(OlllllllO) Ripp supercharger 35x12.5's 5.13's
[]--O--[] magnaflow D.I.Y. exhaust -James-
MrZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2013, 08:13 AM   #14
ciphershort
2009 JK Wrangler 

So my main problem is that I'm trying to figure out the best way to spend some money I'm coming into at the end of the year (birthday/Christmas). I'll have about $450 to play with. I'm tired of my Jeep being stock so I want something to dress it up while still being functional. But I'm also not the type of person to buy something cheap just because it will work. I want something quality that I'm not going to have to worry about replacing after a year. I had looked into LEDs today and while they are more expensive, I may be able to squeeze a couple out of my money. Just don't really know what the best would be.

I'm pretty much sold on putting lights on the bumper first then following it up next hear with spots on the windshield pillars. Quadratec has these brackets that seem pretty good for people with stock bumpers.
http://www.quadratec.com/products/12110_201.htm

Any recommendations on LED flood/fog lights? I'd rather have something with a good wide spread. I've also seen some that have a yellow/amber light to them. Is that better for certain conditions?
ciphershort is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.