best gear ratio for 33" tires - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > best gear ratio for 33" tires

Flowmaster Overstock: Special Holiday Pricing!!!!Thanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.com2" Lift Kits for JK, TJ, XJ, WJ~$125.00 w/free shippi

Unread 02-13-2011, 06:22 PM   #1
rmracing
2010 JK Wrangler 

best gear ratio for 33" tires

Hello,

I just picked up a 2010 Rubicon with a lift (I think about 3") and 33" tires. I understand and have had very helpful information regarding gears and the fact that I need a lower ratio in the axles, but I'd just like to get feedback on how big of a difference it would make? Right now, the Jeep is slow as molasses, and it has an aftermarket exhaust, air filter, and chip (per the prior owner, who I know and would have no reason to BS me). I think with the bigger tires and stock gear ratio, the gearing is way too high. First gear (automatic) gets me to like 45mph.

So if I fix the gearing, will it be much more drivable? Anybody know of a good shop in St. Louis or nearby to get gears installed?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Robby

rmracing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2011, 07:42 PM   #2
Washi
Rockbiter

2009 JK Wrangler 

Welsome to the forum!

Depends on what you have right now. What kind of rig is it? What is the current ratio now? You should fill out your profile so we can get better information to ya! I will say that a Rubicon comes with 4.10's on 32" tires, and it is good match. With 33" tires, you do not need a lift at all. Unless you are planning on stepping up to 35's soon, I would recomend you take it off, unless the higher body clearance is absolutely necessary for your wheeling. If you are planning on going to 35's then your question should be "what gear ratio should I run for 35's and an automatic?", in which case I would suggest either 4.88's or 5.13's. Let us know what you have!
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________________________________

/l ,[_____],
l----L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)-o-)_)
Washi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2011, 08:43 PM   #3
PlatinumOre
2008 JK Wrangler 

I'm getting ready to put on a 3 inch lift with 33.6" tires, Ill be keeping my 3.73s for a while and see how they do, I think If i regear itd be to 4.88s after the posts ive read.
PlatinumOre is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2011, 10:01 PM   #4
rmracing
2010 JK Wrangler 

Thanks guys for the response. I wish I could tell you exactly what my rig was, to be honest, I'm a fast car guy, 6 months ago I traded in my M5 for a 911 Turbo, which was a great idea until it snowed. In an effort to be reasonable when it comes to my cars (which I'm usually not), I started looking for a 4-runner, or something that I could get into inexpensively, and I just couldn't pull the trigger, I needed something cool. So being an Xbox gamer, I went looking for the Call of Duty edition Jeep. I couldn't find one, but I found a 2010 that a friend owned for 2500 miles, and apparently he spent $15k on aftermarket items - still waiting for the list. He bought it out in California and had it shipped back, sold it as he got a new Cayenne Turbo. OK, so sorry, probably too much information... The Jeep is a 4 door Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (all blacked out including wheels, matches my 911 which I thought was cool), with 18" Pro-Comp rims, and 305/65-18 tires (measure 33.6"). It's got a chip, K&N, and supposedly an exhaust - sounds like it, but doesn't look like it, just a little single pipe jobby. Got all the safari doors, etc. It has a 4" or so lift (not sure how to determine), and I like the look of it, so I don't want to take it off. The closest I'll probably really every come to off-roading is driving out to duck blinds and around fields during hunting season. As much as I'd love to do the crazy off-roading, I did that back in the 90's in my Wrangler, avoiding cops, and dropping the drive shaft weekly.

Maybe my perspective is messed up on speed, but the thing just can't seem to get out of it's own way. If changing the gears makes a difference, I'll probably do it, but I can't seem to determine how much it will help. This engine seems like it's got a flat power curve, so I'm not sure how much gearing can help. I have some people telling me it will make all the difference in the world, others saying it's still gonna be slow. So I'm a bit torn right now.

I'm enjoying reading the forum though, and can see myself getting drawn into playing around with this Jeep a lot more.

Thanks for the help.

Robby
Unread 02-13-2011, 10:17 PM   #5
LIMETIME
2010 JK Wrangler 

I came from a modded Z06, so I feel your pain. Gears will help some, but these things are turds. The 2012 Pentastar engine will help, but still a far cry from a V8 option that much lighter and smaller Chrysler vehicles have had for years now.
Unread 02-13-2011, 11:05 PM   #6
Washi
Rockbiter

2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmracing View Post
...I'm a fast car guy...M5 ... 911 Turbo...Cayenne Turbo...my perspective is messed up on speed, but the thing just can't seem to get out of it's own way.
Ok, I understand now. ^These are your problems. The 4.10 ratio is actually pretty well matched to your tire size. While you ARE running a slightly larger than stock size, you are no where NEAR undergeared (perspective). I came from a TJ with a 3.07 ratio and 32's, so MY perspective is that this Jeep is much much more adequetly powered. It is much more driveable, and has much more oomph. I do not subscribe to the "these things are turds" argument, as it is an Apples to Meatloaf comparison. The Jeep is not a fast vehicle, never was, never will be (Grand Cherokee SRT8 the exception of course). And except for a VERY old Burt Reynolds film (CJ used as a pursuit vehicle) can't think of why people think they should be faster.

My TJ couldn't maintain freeway speeds without it being FLOORED or I ran in 4th gear the whole time. It couldn't pass anything on the road, and always lost speed on hills. THAT is a under geared turd. With 4.10's you can cruise, pass, and accelerate. If you are going to looking for that power and speed fix, I would highly recomend a supercharger or even better, a Hemi swap. Just be sure to post a build thread when you do!

If you are looking for a more powerful feel, then, in your case, I would consider a gear change to 4.88. It will net you a feeling of more power, better acceleration, and you won't lose your top end (not that a Jeep Wrangler HAS a top end to speak of). You could go to 5.13's, but then you are running your engine faster, and you might actually lose your top end (may not be able to actually reach highway speeds of 75-80).

The cheapest solution in the end though, is to continue to drive and get a feel for it. Drive it like a Jeep, not a rocket car. Slow down and take your time when accelerating and just ENJOY the drive. You will enjoy the experience much more, you won't feel as though you are constantly bogged down in a slow brick, lowers your heart rate, lowers your blood pressure, lowers your cholesterol, gets better mpg's, better tire life, longer vehicle life, longer driver life, fewer (if any) speeding tickets, and just an over-all stress reducer. Remember, you are in, arguably, the best offroad vehicle on the planet (off the showroom floor). It will get you to where you are going no matter what, it won't get you there as fast as other cars, but it WILL get you there.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________________________________

/l ,[_____],
l----L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)-o-)_)
Unread 02-14-2011, 12:28 AM   #7
herculz
2010 JK Wrangler 

might not have to make a new thread, due to my itchy hands when i have dough, i cant just save enough to get wheels and gearing at the same time. i have my rubi with stock mts, so i have a deal i cant pass to get my gears done up, if i go 5.13s will i be restricted from highway? its an auto, and as of right now it feels like no power with the bumpers, rock rails, roof cage and basket, shooot im not even done with the fenders someday down the road. only good thing my new job next month will have my jk parked for a while.

So 5.13s with stock tires, what say you, i would be getting some 35s or maybe, i say maybe some 37s about 1-2 months later hopefully.
herculz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2011, 12:43 AM   #8
No_Return
2008 JK Wrangler 

If you have the means, and it sounds like you may, given your list of vehicles... There are Supercharger kits available for about $5K that will wake up your Jeep. Hemi Kits for $10K Not going to make it comparable to an M5 but from what I understand it will get you to a single digit 0-60 time.

Several people on the Forum are running a Super Charger one or 2 running the AEV Hemi. Either option cool as heck if you have the means.

Gears would help a little for off the line, but no miracle cures in your case. If you had 35" tires and 3.73 or 3.23 I'd definitely say go for better gears before you try anything else. However with 33" tires and 4.10 (That's what I'm running), IMHO not worth re-gearing $$$$ for modest improvements.
Unread 02-14-2011, 12:58 AM   #9
Washi
Rockbiter

2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by herculz View Post
might not have to make a new thread, due to my itchy hands when i have dough, i cant just save enough to get wheels and gearing at the same time. i have my rubi with stock mts, so i have a deal i cant pass to get my gears done up, if i go 5.13s will i be restricted from highway? its an auto, and as of right now it feels like no power with the bumpers, rock rails, roof cage and basket, shooot im not even done with the fenders someday down the road. only good thing my new job next month will have my jk parked for a while.

So 5.13s with stock tires, what say you, i would be getting some 35s or maybe, i say maybe some 37s about 1-2 months later hopefully.
I would say that 5.13's would be best, especially with all the extra gear you are running!

/l ,[_____],
l----L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)-o-)_)
Unread 02-14-2011, 07:30 AM   #10
Joevacs
2010 JK Wrangler 

5:13s !

It's what they should have come with from the factory in my opinion. I would go with that or higher if you plan to increase tire size to 35s or 37s eventually.
Unread 02-14-2011, 08:01 AM   #11
paul84043
2012 JK Wrangler 

On the subject of your Jeep Being "chipped". Unless you received a programming module that plugs into your ODBII port, or they still have it or lost it.... (maybe it's in the glove box?) Your Jeep isn't Chipped. These don't get chipped in the way most people are used to. You reflash the computer to tweak things.
The two most popular modules are the AEV Procal, and the Superchips Flashpaq, though there are others as well.

With the caveat of course that I might be horribly misinformed, but this is what I have found in my wanderings here...

The feel of the Jeep is definitely very different. I came from a 97 GMC Sierra 3/4 ton longbed that would drop down to 60 on a decent grade, so the Jeep wasn't really any different.
We have the Jetta TDI sportwagen for when we want to idle up a hill at 85 mph passing everything else on wheels, so I never really felt like there was a void in my life....
The Jeep will teach you patience.
The Cayenne that your buddy has (ie....Touareg) is arguable the most powerful semi off-road-rocket out of the box that you'll find short of a full blown Paris/Dakar rally car, but is still not even in the same offroad league as your Jeep, not even close.

Drive it for a while, slow down, flip the top back, take the doors off (if that's your thing) turn up the stereo, and enjoy everyone around you being jealous... The Jeep is just plain cool.

FWIW: we have a 2010 Unlimited Non-Rubicon and when the fed decided to pull their thumb out of their butt and start processing returns, I'm going to put in 4.88's.
paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2011, 08:40 AM   #12
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

I have an '08 JKU Rubi with big 33" Hankooks MTs and the stock 4.10 gears are fine and I pull an off-road trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmracing View Post
Hello,

I just picked up a 2010 Rubicon with a lift (I think about 3") and 33" tires. I understand and have had very helpful information regarding gears and the fact that I need a lower ratio in the axles, but I'd just like to get feedback on how big of a difference it would make? Right now, the Jeep is slow as molasses, and it has an aftermarket exhaust, air filter, and chip (per the prior owner, who I know and would have no reason to BS me). I think with the bigger tires and stock gear ratio, the gearing is way too high. First gear (automatic) gets me to like 45mph.

So if I fix the gearing, will it be much more drivable? Anybody know of a good shop in St. Louis or nearby to get gears installed?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Robby
You should have the same gearing--I'd get rid of the aftermkt air filter and SC that chip-

Should drive fine-whether you have an auto/manual-

JIMBO
JIMBOX is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2011, 11:20 AM   #13
rmracing
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIMETIME View Post
I came from a modded Z06, so I feel your pain. Gears will help some, but these things are turds. The 2012 Pentastar engine will help, but still a far cry from a V8 option that much lighter and smaller Chrysler vehicles have had for years now.
I had a 2003 modded Z06, miss that thing! This forum kind of reminds of those days, the Corvette had a great forum for modding with a bunch of helpful folks.
Unread 02-14-2011, 11:26 AM   #14
rmracing
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Washi View Post
The cheapest solution in the end though, is to continue to drive and get a feel for it. Drive it like a Jeep, not a rocket car. Slow down and take your time when accelerating and just ENJOY the drive. You will enjoy the experience much more, you won't feel as though you are constantly bogged down in a slow brick, lowers your heart rate, lowers your blood pressure, lowers your cholesterol, gets better mpg's, better tire life, longer vehicle life, longer driver life, fewer (if any) speeding tickets, and just an over-all stress reducer. Remember, you are in, arguably, the best offroad vehicle on the planet (off the showroom floor). It will get you to where you are going no matter what, it won't get you there as fast as other cars, but it WILL get you there.
Washi, interestingly, I agree. I took the tops out yesterday, and all of a sudden I wasn't thinking about how slow it was. I imagine it will be a lot better when the entire top comes off during the summer.

I think part of the problem is that when the top is on with the windows up, i can hear the engine, and it just seems like it's struggling so hard. I think I'll hold off for now, and slow down a bit, I need it!
Unread 04-26-2013, 10:09 AM   #15
Cannonball
1996 CJ5 

I feel your pain but I kept my '97 Porsche 993TT and just bought a '12 Jeep JK looking to regear..... it has 3.21's and I want to go to 33's or 35's but I know Ill need the PROCAL spedo calibrater but with the new JK I hear stories where the new trans needs different gears than the previous years..... what gears do you reccomend with 33'or 35's Im thinking 4.10s or 4.56

Thanks
CB

1996 YJ-5 400 SB Chevy, Proflow EFI, NV4500 Trans with 6.34 low, Dynatrac HP Dana 60 Rear / Dana 44 front and 4:88 gears Featured in Sport & Utility June 1997.
Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.