Best first mods on a 2dr JK? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Best first mods on a 2dr JK?

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 08-13-2013, 08:06 PM   #1
deadlifts36

Best first mods on a 2dr JK?

Got my first Jeep couple weeks ago and although I am already in love, I can't stand the way it looks stock!

I was just wondering what you guys think would be the mods to throw on there first. I know for sure I was 36''s and XRC flares, but what kind of lift would I need for the wheels and do I need to do anything else in order to do this? One of my friends that also has a Jeep said I might need to change the differential... I would also appreciate some recommendations on some other cool stuff I can do to my new baby! Thanks!

deadlifts36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2013, 08:42 PM   #2
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

A good set of bumpers will accomplish several things:

Improved looks
Better protection of the vehicle and occupants both on and offroad
Better and more options if you need to get towed or unstuck both in and offroad
It's an easy modification that will get you addicted.

Rugged Ridge floor mats and cargo mats look great and are very functional. Stock floor mats are useless in comparison.

Eventually a winch and recovery kit along with a basic tool kit become increasingly useful the longer you have them.

Auxillary lighting is popular mod. JK headlights are notoriously substandard so they are worth upgrading. Don't forget about reverse lights.

Many people like me opt for 315/70-17 tires. Duratracs are a popular choice for those in need of an all terrain while those that are less of a daily driver and more of a rock crawler like km2 tires.

A 3" lift is what you need to run 35's properly and get maximum benefit. PolyPerformance is my prefer brand but there are many other good choices such as aev, Teraflex, etc. Replace the garbage tie rod with a chromoly unit from one of the aforementioned companies as well as install a high steer kit to bring the steering geometry back to parallel after lifting.

AEV makes an affordable tool that allows you recalibrate your speedometer and other parameters due to larger tire size.

Regearing is a mandatory mod on 2007-2011 JK's with 35's, especially automatics. 2012 and up will still benefit from regearing but it is not as critical as first generation JK due to different engine and transmission.

It's a blank canvas. The time you spend researching mods should be proportional to the cost of them and how involved they are.
Unread 08-13-2013, 09:28 PM   #3
deadlifts36

Thanks man, yeah I definitely need to get a bumper as well. Now I just need enough money to get my lift, wheels/tires, flares, and bumper at once. After that I can start adding the little things here and there.
deadlifts36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2013, 11:09 AM   #4
2Five22
2013 JK Wrangler 

Honestly, get hard plastic floor liners from Weathertech, Quadratec, etc. It keeps the interior looking good and easy to clean.

Yeah, lifts/tires/wheels are sexy, but little conveniences add up.

I am just the chauffeur.
2Five22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2013, 09:07 PM   #5
DrunkSailor
2013 JK Wrangler 

Excellent post prot. Thanks for the info.
DrunkSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2013, 07:49 AM   #6
dis_dis
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prot View Post
A 3" lift is what you need to run 35's properly and get maximum benefit.
I am running 2.5 lift with 35s and it is fine. You can also get away with 2" lift or even no lift and just cut the fenders.

Quote:
Regearing is a mandatory mod on 2007-2011 JK's with 35's
This is BS I was running 35s for 6 months before I regeared
dis_dis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2013, 05:22 PM   #7
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dis_dis
I am running 2.5 lift with 35s and it is fine. You can also get away with 2" lift or even no lift and just cut the fenders.

This is BS I was running 35s for 6 months before I regeared
If you have an automatic 2007-2011 JK with 35's, it's going to suck. The amount it sucks will depend on what your stock gearing is, your elevation, ethanol vs non ethanol fuel, flat or mountainous terrain, etc.

I ran 35's with stock 4.10 gears for a time and it sucked. Engine would often redline while going nowhere, towing capacity was reduced to nonexistent, single digit fuel economy, transmission never felt like it was in the right gear, just generally miserable to drive. 5.13's fixed all and more. It also improved my fuel economy as an unexpected bonus. I can't imagine what 35's would be like with an automatic and 3.21's if my 4.10's were that bad.
Unread 08-15-2013, 05:54 PM   #8
dis_dis
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
I ran 35's with stock 4.10 gears for a time and it sucked. Engine would often redline while going nowhere, towing capacity was reduced to nonexistent
Here is mine towing two bikes with the set up above ...

Towed them from DC to Philly ... no problem
img_20130713_133821.jpg  
dis_dis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2013, 08:51 PM   #9
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dis_dis

Here is mine towing two bikes with the set up above ...

Towed them from DC to Philly ... no problem
Good for you.

I thought I was going to burn up my transmission towing an empty open small utility trailer. I had over drive turned off and it was still awful.

Now, I tow a fully loaded enclosed 6' X 13' enclosed trailer periodically easily and don't even have to turn off over drive.

Again, there are many factors at work.

Regearing was the single best modification I made to my Jeep, and I am heavily modified.
Unread 08-16-2013, 08:03 PM   #10
AEVBrute

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadlifts36 View Post
Got my first Jeep couple weeks ago and although I am already in love, I can't stand the way it looks stock!

I was just wondering what you guys think would be the mods to throw on there first. I know for sure I was 36''s and XRC flares, but what kind of lift would I need for the wheels and do I need to do anything else in order to do this? One of my friends that also has a Jeep said I might need to change the differential... I would also appreciate some recommendations on some other cool stuff I can do to my new baby! Thanks!
the 2007 and newer JK's can handle 35's with only 2-2.5 inches of lift and then you start getting in to drive shaft changes etc. Your friend is probably referring to the 06 and older Jeeps that needed 4.5 inches of lift to run 35's and also required changes in drive shafts lengths due to changes in the angles of the shafts in to the differential and tranny.

I have built a few 07 and newer 2 and 4 doors, I would do a budget boost lift, adding pucks to the top of the springs and replace shocks or shock extensions, 35's and a nice bumper with a bull bar and winch if you need it. The back door can handle a 35' tire. That will give you the look you are probably looking for. Budget Boost is 250-500

Or you go for the empty wallet and do a 3 inch coil spring short arm lift and the same tire and wheel and bumper scenario. Then you start at 1250 for the lift and go up, get a harder ride and dont need it unless you are going to really go off road.

36's really dont exist, if you want to go to 37's then we are talking a totally different price range and if your Jeep is not a 2012 or newer you are really going to want to do gears. The minivan motor in the 07-11 Jeeps are good for flat terrain and people that are looking for the outdoor experience. No matter what you do to that motor it falls on its face.

For those that tell you that it is fine with a 4.10 or less to be honest they just have not experienced the other side. It appears that you live in Cally and with 35's and that terrain you are really going to want to re-gear
AEVBrute is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2013, 04:40 PM   #11
krutj
2009 JK Wrangler 

Protect your rocker panels, either with bolt on or bedliner...they chip easy. Another easy upgrade is the headlights, you will find that the stock H-13's are inadequate....add a tow hitch, it's a good rear pulling point, even if you don't tow.
Also....check out the FAQ section, there's a ton of good threads to give you ideas...and pics!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.