Best cb antenna mount for JK - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Best cb antenna mount for JK

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 04-02-2010, 09:38 AM   #1
Baotchi
2010 JK Wrangler 

Best cb antenna mount for JK

What's the best CB antenna mount for the JK? My friend has the Cooltech which I installed on his JK and looks real good and serves the purpose well but I plan on relocating the license plate on the spare tire so I can not mount the antenna on the licence plate mount.

I plan on running a tall fiberglass antenna. On my TJ I had drilled and bolted a mount right in the rear body panel but there is no way I am drilling trough my 2010 Jeep.

Are there mounts that go behind the tail lights or something? Maybe behind the spare tire... Ideas?

Unread 04-02-2010, 09:42 AM   #2
yoda13
Force Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

Terraflex makes one that bolts behind the sparetire carrier...I used it for a year, no problems and it was good, now I have put an aftermarket bumper on and I do not need my stock carrier anymore, so I bought an aftermarket 3rd tail light assembly from Terraflex and it came with a mount...either way you can't go wrong...
2007 White Jeep Wrangler X-auto, black freedom top, 15x8 Pro Comp Rock Crawlers, 33x12.5x15 BFG KM2s, Superchips Flashpaq, 2" OME Spring Lift, Bilsteins, Rusty's Adjustable front and rear trac-bar, JKS Quicker Disconnects, Rusty's adjustable lower control arms (front and rear), PolyPerformance adjustable upper control arms (front and rear), OEM Rubicon Rock Rails, Finishlinewest Stonehenge Series rear bumper, Smittybuilt winch, Body Armor Front High Clearance Bumper w/ KC Highlights mounted, Roadmaster towbar, Valley 2" receiver hitch, Skid Row Engine Transmission skid, sPod switching system, KC Highlights windshield mounted lights, Delta replacement non-quadbar xenon headlamps, and Bestop saddlebags-Member of the United Four Wheel Drive Association and Blue Ribbon Coalition, †John 3:16†

RIP Mrs. yoda13... My life is better for having had you in it and you made me a better man...I can't wait to see you again...I love you always and forever, and for all eternity

If you want to help the sport of off-roading, and protect your right to do so, please visit the Envirobeat
forum...

yoda13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2010, 09:49 AM   #3
PSKJEEP

i went to home depot for a 4 peice of angle iron and mounted mine to my license plate bracket. I reninforeced it with some washers on the other side so it wouldnt ripe it off. then i got a peice of sting and looped it around the screw that hold the hard top on and tied it to the cb ant so when i go 4 wheelin it doesnt go crazy. and then all you need to do it ground the ant. to the car. it cost me a total of 6 bucks. before that u mounted it to my window bracket. you know that peice that holds the window upright. dont waste your money on a bracket off line they cost to much.
PSKJEEP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2010, 10:00 AM   #4
USAntigoon
Retired from Forum
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baotchi View Post
What's the best CB antenna mount for the JK? My friend has the Cooltech which I installed on his JK and looks real good and serves the purpose well but I plan on relocating the license plate on the spare tire so I can not mount the antenna on the licence plate mount.

I plan on running a tall fiberglass antenna. On my TJ I had drilled and bolted a mount right in the rear body panel but there is no way I am drilling trough my 2010 Jeep.

Are there mounts that go behind the tail lights or something? Maybe behind the spare tire... Ideas?
The best antenna mount .. if you mean the best RF radiation and counterpoise then you need to have it mounted on the tub.. Alas a hole needs to be drilled...(no pain, no gain).. If the esthetics are what you are looking for.. Indeed there are a lot of solutions with brackets and alike..

Here is my set up.. (hole in the tub of course...)

ARR has some nice brackets which can be mounted on the spare carrier hub... However they don't do a good job for the 11 meter band.. VHF is OK
USAntigoon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2010, 10:24 AM   #5
Baotchi
2010 JK Wrangler 

I'm not "going for esthetics" but I'm not going to drill the tub. I had a bracket mount on my TJ and I installed a ground cable to the frame, was pretty effective too. I need something that wont bang the antenna on the hard/soft top, and something that's strong because I like running a tall antenna (yeah mostly for looks).

I'll keep looking until I find the perfect mount. I might as well end up making it myself.
Unread 04-02-2010, 10:24 AM   #6
McKBrew
JK Wrangler 

I am using the teraflex mount. No issues with it.
McKBrew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2010, 10:43 AM   #7
BRICKTOP2
Unhingd PigFeedng Gangstr

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKBrew View Post
I am using the teraflex mount. No issues with it.
X2. Teraflex is the best. Additional hole drilled for a flag for on the dunes too. Uses existing spare tire mount holes so no drilling.

JK Build Thread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/3...-build-545214/
TJ Tub Trailerhttp://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f104/...tj-tub-568873/
BRICKTOP2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2010, 11:50 AM   #8
DominicR
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRICKTOP2 View Post
X2. Teraflex is the best. Additional hole drilled for a flag for on the dunes too. Uses existing spare tire mount holes so no drilling.
I installed my Teraflex mount last weekend (it's great) and I'll be installing the rest of the cb / antenna this weekend. One question: what's the best connector to use to get the antenna on the mount and connected to the coaxial? I didn't even realize I needed one when I bought all the pieces but I don't see how the antenna will stay on if there isn't something to screw it into the mount with.

Thanks.
DominicR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2010, 12:13 PM   #9
McKBrew
JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DominicR View Post
I installed my Teraflex mount last weekend (it's great) and I'll be installing the rest of the cb / antenna this weekend. One question: what's the best connector to use to get the antenna on the mount and connected to the coaxial? I didn't even realize I needed one when I bought all the pieces but I don't see how the antenna will stay on if there isn't something to screw it into the mount with.

Thanks.
You need an antenna mounting stud like this.

fire stick antenna stud - Google Product Search
Unread 04-02-2010, 12:23 PM   #10
DominicR
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKBrew View Post
You need an antenna mounting stud like this.

fire stick antenna stud - Google Product Search
Thanks for the info!
DominicR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2010, 12:30 PM   #11
Hollywood1971
2008 JK Wrangler 

Have you considered the Gatemount kit from Cooltech? I just picked one up. Very solid peice of stainless steel and good instructions for mounting and running the wires through an existing hole in your tailgait.

DECEASED - 2008 2-door
Hollywood1971 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2010, 12:43 PM   #12
Baotchi
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood1971 View Post
Have you considered the Gatemount kit from Cooltech? I just picked one up. Very solid peice of stainless steel and good instructions for mounting and running the wires through an existing hole in your tailgait.
Yess and that is what I had in mind when I said "make my own". There is no way I am paying 40$ for a bent piece of steel but I may just mesure and bend my own and spray paint it and drill and call it a free mount.
Unread 04-02-2010, 12:47 PM   #13
Poor Boy
All Around Nice Guy

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoda13 View Post
Terraflex makes one that bolts behind the sparetire carrier...I used it for a year, no problems and it was good, now I have put an aftermarket bumper on and I do not need my stock carrier anymore, so I bought an aftermarket 3rd tail light assembly from Terraflex and it came with a mount...either way you can't go wrong...
i had one like that, too. when i got my rockhard, i left the little bracket up there. i figgered i already had it all run, why change it?
Feed my girlfriend.

Follow my girlfriend

Brew what you drink, drink what you brew

USN Hull number 54
Poor Boy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2010, 12:48 PM   #14
McKBrew
JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baotchi View Post
Yess and that is what I had in mind when I said "make my own". There is no way I am paying 40$ for a bent piece of steel but I may just mesure and bend my own and spray paint it and drill and call it a free mount.
Absolutely agree.

Were I to do it all over again, I'd buy an L bracket of some sort from Home Depot, drill a few holes in it and put it on the tire holder.
Unread 04-02-2010, 01:41 PM   #15
NorthRiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAntigoon View Post
The best antenna mount .. if you mean the best RF radiation and counterpoise then you need to have it mounted on the tub.. Alas a hole needs to be drilled...(no pain, no gain).. If the esthetics are what you are looking for.. Indeed there are a lot of solutions with brackets and alike..
What kind of swr reading do you have?

Unless its better than 1.3 I'm calling BS on having to have an antenna mounted to the tub.

My antenna is mounted to a hole I drilled in the tire carrier. I'm not drilling a hole in the body chasing after that last .2 on the meter.
NorthRiver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.