Best bike rack available? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Best bike rack available?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 09-04-2013, 09:23 AM   #31
JKPaul
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjw View Post
Those 1up racks look terrible. Lol
Might as well get a big motorcycle carrier hanging off the back, or just get a standard hitch mounted rack and bolt the bikes on or something.
I'm sure they're built well, I've seen them recommended other places too, but I don't care to store something that big or have something that big hanging off of the back of the jeep. I prefer to keep the bike higher up and still be able to use the jeep off road a bit. Lately I'm thinking about installing some locking fork mounts on the back of my top, and hanging them on the back with the rear tire strapped to the bumper.
x2. You are right on, sir!

"Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.......'!
JKPaul is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2013, 09:35 AM   #32
JKMarty

Quote:
Originally Posted by wscbikes View Post
Well, it doesn't catch enough to create noticeable drag and it certainly stays steadier than it does hanging on the Thule.

With the 1Up, less of the rear wheel sticks out past the side of the Jeep than it does when on the Thule since the 1Up centers the tandem and the Thule creates it being off-center by about 6 to 10 inches due to needing the anti-sway cradle to be against the seat-tube...
I'm glad it works well for you but, I don't think I want something like that hangin' off the back of my Jeep.
After a lot of research and looking I'm going to go with the Swagman, best bang for the buck.
JKMarty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2013, 10:16 AM   #33
Deuskid
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKMarty View Post
I'm glad it works well for you but, I don't think I want something like that hangin' off the back of my Jeep.
After a lot of research and looking I'm going to go with the Swagman, best bang for the buck.
Swagman is a brand I've not heard of until now...

http://www.hitchsource.com/swagman-b...FbBDMgodYx4Acg

looks pretty cool.

I wonder if anyone has had 1st hand experience w/ them?

John
Deuskid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2013, 12:30 PM   #34
JKMarty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuskid View Post
Swagman is a brand I've not heard of until now...

http://www.hitchsource.com/swagman-b...FbBDMgodYx4Acg

looks pretty cool.

I wonder if anyone has had 1st hand experience w/ them?

John
Look further up in the thread.....
JKMarty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2013, 02:36 PM   #35
dciman

Sorry, I haven't read the whole thread. But, Kuat racks are the best hitch based racks I've used or seen. Integrated cable locks and even a work stand on some models. They are also light weight for a tray style rack. Much better than the Thule's I've used. Not cheap though.
dciman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2013, 07:08 PM   #36
varnerme
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dciman
Sorry, I haven't read the whole thread. But, Kuat racks are the best hitch based racks I've used or seen. Integrated cable locks and even a work stand on some models. They are also light weight for a tray style rack. Much better than the Thule's I've used. Not cheap though.
Ditto! The NV rack by Kuat is awesome!
Unread 09-06-2013, 10:51 PM   #37
NMBruce
2013 JK Wrangler 

I have the Yakma swing daddy, found it on Amazon for around $285 in April. I had to get a dual hitch extender from Harbor Freight, I turn it upside down because the stock tire carry will hit it, but it is great for getting for opening the rear gate.

http://www.yakima.com/shop/bike/hitch/swingdaddy

http://www.harborfreight.com/dual-hi...der-99591.html

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.