Best bike rack available? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Best bike rack available?

Engo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 LumYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 08-29-2013, 02:01 PM   #16
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

2"

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2013, 02:58 PM   #17
rla1999
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder6 View Post
2"
Thanks
rla1999 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2013, 10:40 AM   #18
JKPaul
2012 JK Wrangler 

Swagman, 4 bike carrier, works great. Usually haul 2 bikes only but once in a while 3. The extra length is great 'just in case'. For BMX or the wife's bike which has an easy entry frame configuration we use a ubar adapter. it fits between and just under the sat and handle bar posts, allows for easier mounting to the rack.

7.jpg   9.jpg   10.jpg  
8.jpg

11.jpg

ubar.jpg

"Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.......'!
JKPaul is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2013, 01:40 PM   #19
JWA

I've tried quite a few, and the best by far has been the 1Up. Hands down.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2013, 04:10 PM   #20
Deuskid
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
I've tried quite a few, and the best by far has been the 1Up. Hands down.
A few details please?

To what are you comparing the 1up?

How is it better?

How did the others fail?

Thanks,

John
Deuskid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2013, 09:25 AM   #21
rla1999
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKPaul View Post
Swagman, 4 bike carrier, works great. Usually haul 2 bikes only but once in a while 3. The extra length is great 'just in case'. For BMX or the wife's bike which has an easy entry frame configuration we use a ubar adapter. it fits between and just under the sat and handle bar posts, allows for easier mounting to the rack.

do the bikes hit each other as you are driving? or the spare tire?
rla1999 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2013, 03:23 PM   #22
OleBlue73
1973 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rla1999
I am interested in getting a bike rack that can hold two bikes for my JK. What do you guys recommend? Something $150 or less if possible
If you've checked out and like the Mopar 2 bike spare tire rack, we have a good used one that we might let go. We got a Yakima instead because I got tired of the screwing/unscrewing the long bolt that locks the bikes on the Mopar.

Like this one on eBay now http://bit.ly/17sWkuG
OleBlue73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2013, 08:57 PM   #23
JKPaul
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rla1999 View Post
do the bikes hit each other as you are driving? or the spare tire?
The bikes sit on there pretty solid and I haven't noticed any movement. But, because I try to be proactive and avoid any unforeseen accidents I do run one of those rubber tie downs you see sitting on the spare tire around the front wheels or handlebars of the bikes to kind of hold them altogether. The cable you see hanging from the rack is a built in cable lock to keep anyone from removing the bikes when I'm elsewhere.
8.jpg

Unread 09-01-2013, 10:11 PM   #24
BadHammers
2013 JK Wrangler 

I have the Yakima Sparetime rack. Have used it fairly heavily over the past 3 years on both of our JK's. It is OK for one road bike on a regular basis, but not for two. I'd also hesitate to use it for a heavier mountain bike... Too much stress on the tailgate, even with stock wheels / tires. You can really notice the spare tire wiggling around with heavier or multiple bikes on board. I've seriously considered the Terraflex HD tailgate hinge / spare tire carrier reinforcement setup just so I can continue using the rack without risk of destroying my tailgate and even possibly my bike. The convenience of not having to fold or remove the bike rack to open the tailgate is pretty awesome, though.

If the rack you buy uses rubber straps to secure the top tube (yakima secures the seat tube too), keep an eye on the straps as they do degrade over time. I replaced all 6 of mine this season.

We keep a Thule hitch receiver platform rack on my wife's KK... I like it much more than the Sparetime rack.
Jeeps past 01 XJ, 08 JK, 11 KK
BadHammers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2013, 07:06 PM   #25
wscbikes
Ride Hard -- Ride Long
2008 JK Wrangler 

Here are some pictures of the 1Up USA rack. Mine is customized to accommodate our 6ft wheelbase tandem in the first position, which can be adjusted to accommodate normal wheelbase bikes by moving two bolts.

It is the two bike 2" base rack with an additional add-on tray for the third bike. The three bikes pictured on the rack weigh in around 120lbs.

Here is a link to the 1Up USA racks website: http://1upusa.com/bicycleracks.html
iphone-001_opt.jpg

iphone-002_opt.jpg

iphone-003_opt.jpg

Unread 09-03-2013, 08:31 AM   #26
JKMarty

Quote:
Originally Posted by wscbikes View Post
Here are some pictures of the 1Up USA rack. Mine is customized to accommodate our 6ft wheelbase tandem in the first position, which can be adjusted to accommodate normal wheelbase bikes by moving two bolts.

It is the two bike 2" base rack with an additional add-on tray for the third bike. The three bikes pictured on the rack weigh in around 120lbs.

Here is a link to the 1Up USA racks website: http://1upusa.com/bicycleracks.html
That's pretty big. Does it catch a lot of wind or affect driving at highway speeds?
JKMarty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2013, 09:47 AM   #27
brianjw
2012 JK Wrangler 

Those 1up racks look terrible. Lol
Might as well get a big motorcycle carrier hanging off the back, or just get a standard hitch mounted rack and bolt the bikes on or something.
I'm sure they're built well, I've seen them recommended other places too, but I don't care to store something that big or have something that big hanging off of the back of the jeep. I prefer to keep the bike higher up and still be able to use the jeep off road a bit. Lately I'm thinking about installing some locking fork mounts on the back of my top, and hanging them on the back with the rear tire strapped to the bumper.
brianjw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2013, 03:29 PM   #28
wscbikes
Ride Hard -- Ride Long
2008 JK Wrangler 

The tandem doesn't catch anymore wind on the 1Up than it does hanging from a Thule.

My bikes wheels, especially the 2nd and 3rd positioned ones, are higher off the ground than they are when suspended from my Thule rack that swings out to the side to allow for access to the rear of the Jeep.

The standard 1Up that folds takes less space to store than an ordinary hitch mounted rack.
Unread 09-03-2013, 04:15 PM   #29
JKPaul
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wscbikes View Post
The tandem doesn't catch anymore wind on the 1Up than it does hanging from a Thule.

My bikes wheels, especially the 2nd and 3rd positioned ones, are higher off the ground than they are when suspended from my Thule rack that swings out to the side to allow for access to the rear of the Jeep.

The standard 1Up that folds takes less space to store than an ordinary hitch mounted rack.
Really? No way. Unless it folds up like some kind of Origami.

Unread 09-03-2013, 05:49 PM   #30
wscbikes
Ride Hard -- Ride Long
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKPaul View Post
Really? No way. Unless it folds up like some kind of Origami.
Well, it doesn't catch enough to create noticeable drag and it certainly stays steadier than it does hanging on the Thule.

With the 1Up, less of the rear wheel sticks out past the side of the Jeep than it does when on the Thule since the 1Up centers the tandem and the Thule creates it being off-center by about 6 to 10 inches due to needing the anti-sway cradle to be against the seat-tube...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.