JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   JK Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/)
-   -   Best Bedliner options for floor? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/best-bedliner-options-floor-1535413/)

cj7guy 06-11-2013 11:22 PM

Best Bedliner options for floor?

4 Attachment(s)
I removed the front seats and all of the carpet.

Then I washed down the floor and got 5 years of filth out of there.

What bedliners have others used, and which do you like?

I'm thinking a roll/brush on product would be easiest, is it worth the compromise?

Let me know what you guys have done. Also, having done it, what would you do differently?

I've also considered just getting good rubber floor mats and not doing any bedliner.

Let me know,
Thanks,
Jon

Tanimal 06-12-2013 10:24 AM

Monstaliner makes a nice roll on bedliner and they run a Jeepforum special. Just be sure to wait until it fully cures unlike me.

toxicwaste29 06-12-2013 10:30 AM

I wanted to do this but have three problems with it. 1- the floor mates will be sliding around since they cant gripe, 2-Without floor liners, im afraid if my feet are wet that they will slip easily on the floor, 3-having to deal with the inside of the jeep smelling like new paint on hot days even if it may be a year later I couldn't do.

Just a few things to consider

cj7guy 06-12-2013 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tanimal (Post 15551830)
Monstaliner makes a nice roll on bedliner and they run a Jeepforum special. Just be sure to wait until it fully cures unlike me.

They are one of the ones I was looking into.

http://monstaliner.com/monstaliner_pricing.htm

Do you think I can do a JKU with 1 gallon, or should I order 2?

How long until it is fully cured? I want to hit a trail ride this weekend.

JeepAddOnsChris 06-12-2013 10:46 AM

Wait another couple of weeks. There is a new product coming to market called the BedTred for the Jeep JK. It's already available for the TJ. Basically all the benefits of a roll on/spray on liner without the huge amount of prep work and you can remove it at any time. This is different than the Bed Rug which is just more of an ultra heavy duty carpet. BedTreds have been used by the heavy duty truck guys to hold up to abuse for a while now.

cj7guy 06-12-2013 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepAddOnsChris (Post 15551921)
Wait another couple of weeks. There is a new product coming to market called the BedTred for the Jeep JK. It's already available for the TJ. Basically all the benefits of a roll on/spray on liner without the huge amount of prep work and you can remove it at any time. This is different than the Bed Rug which is just more of an ultra heavy duty carpet. BedTreds have been used by the heavy duty truck guys to hold up to abuse for a while now.

That looks nice, installs like the carpet.

I kind of like the bedliner though because moisture can't get underneath it. I like to drive in the rain with just the bikini top. I wonder how long my factory sub woofer will last, haha.

JeepAddOnsChris 06-12-2013 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cj7guy (Post 15552087)
I like to drive in the rain with just the bikini top.

You can tell you're an old school CJ guy. Makes me want to buy you a :cheers2: if I ever see you out. :D

CrawlingForward 06-12-2013 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cj7guy (Post 15551911)
They are one of the ones I was looking into.

http://monstaliner.com/monstaliner_pricing.htm

Do you think I can do a JKU with 1 gallon, or should I order 2?

How long until it is fully cured? I want to hit a trail ride this weekend.

Definitely Monstaliner. Best mod I've made to the JKU to date.

If you're doing the same color as you already have (silver) you might be able to get away with one gallon, but we needed 2 on ours for proper coverage. I'd recommend 2.

Cured to touch, cured to abuse, and cured to no-more-paint-smell are 3 different answers.

To touch, it only took a couple of hours because it was so humid when we did it (it cures with water/humidity), to abuse I'd wait like a week and/or be careful when reinstalling seats (I scratched mine a little trying to put them back in myself 3 days after), to no-more-paint-smell takes a while, but you don't notice if after a day or so of driving.

Highly recommend it, though. Easy to do yourself and keep the interior in much better shape, not to mention some *awesome* colors!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.n...94776827_n.jpg

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...04440721_n.jpg

We did the grill too, just for giggles

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.n...75437128_n.jpg

Militiaman54 06-12-2013 11:42 AM

I have put bedliner in two of my jeeps now and would rather have bedliner than the carpets any day.

If youíre worried about your floor mats sliding around (I would get a good set of all weather mats anyway) then all you need is to get some of the padded liner they make for the drawers of tool boxes and put it under the mats and that will pretty much take care of the sliding around.

I have use two different bedliners:

Rhinoliner is super easy to apply, does not take as much prep work to get it to stick, is cheap, you can find it at parts stores like AutoZone pretty reliably so you donít have to worry about running out if you didnít buy enough to start with, it leaves a nice sand paperish texture, and once its dry it has a rubber feeling to it even after it gets older. So because of the sand paper texture and the rubber feeling it makes a great non-slip liner.

Some of the problems with Rhinoliner are it is not as tough as other liners, because of the sand paper texture once it gets dirty it is very hard to get clean again unless you just pressure wash it, and over time in direct sun light it will start to go from a nice bright shiny black finish to a flat black or even dark gray look.

Rhinoliner really is great the only real reason I did not use it again was because cleaning issue. It really holds onto the dirt and mud and a pressure washer is the only way to get it clean again.

Monstaliner is what I used this last time and there are some big differences between the two. You really need a good prep job to be sure that the Monstaliner sticks, the texture is more a like spray on liner even if you roll it on, once dry it is super hard with no rubber feeling to it and with a much less aggressive texture (much easier to clean). There are local parts stores that carry it I believe but it will be much harder to find than rhinoliner is so that has to factor into your planning when you apply it, you canít just run down to the store to get another can if you run out mid job. Due to the less aggressive texture and more smooth hard finish it does not make as good of a non-slip surface as rhinoliner. It has a much more durable finish and holds up to UV exposure much better, and if you wanted to the Monstaliner can be sprayed on instead of rolled on.

All things considered when I do it again in another Jeep I will use Monstaliner over Rhinoliner.

cj7guy 06-12-2013 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepAddOnsChris (Post 15552101)
You can tell you're an old school CJ guy.

Indeed I am. My 78 CJ7 was older than me. It had a fiberglass body and we just drilled holes in that floor, no fancy floor pans with rubber plugs like these modern JKs.

At the end of the day though, it's hard to pass up how much more vehicle you get now. The JK hits the highway like cars from a few short years ago, the top is tight and quiet (if I ever have it on), the AC is ice cold, the heater will burn your knuckles, and the ride is smooth as can be.

I do like CJs, and sometimes I miss it. It's just hard to pass up a vehicle that can do so many different things so easily, and be so comfortable.

This 6cyl is a dog though, I miss the V8 CJ...although I don't miss the fuel consumption.

trojanjeep 06-12-2013 02:13 PM

Just did my 4 door JK 3 weeks ago with Monstaliner, 1 gallon did the tub in 2 coats and the tailgate. I waited 7 days before I put anything back in, and then was still carefull. It's cured now, no smell and looks great. Prep work is a pain but rolling it on was ok. Worst part is removing the sound dampening material, figure on at least 45 minutes for each area and use a Heat Gun. It's a very self satisfying mod!!!!!!

cj7guy 06-12-2013 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trojanjeep (Post 15552862)
Just did my 4 door JK 3 weeks ago with Monstaliner, 1 gallon did the tub in 2 coats and the tailgate. I waited 7 days before I put anything back in, and then was still carefull. It's cured now, no smell and looks great. Prep work is a pain but rolling it on was ok. Worst part is removing the sound dampening material, figure on at least 45 minutes for each area and use a Heat Gun. It's a very self satisfying mod!!!!!!

I was going to put the liner on top of the sound deadening...but as I'm typing it, I'm beginning to realize that would leave some large, unsightly bumps on the floor. Looks like I'll be busting out the heat gun.

SubAtomicGenius 06-13-2013 03:38 AM

I used an industrial epoxy from the local paint shop (dulux paints). $60 for a gallon, available in any tint, bought the same foam rollers in the bedliner kits, applied in the same manner, super tough, hard as nails, super cheep, and lots to spare. :)

BTW, heat gun is the best option barr-none to take the squiggly **** off the floor... but do it outside because it makes some nasty fumes.

CrawlingForward 06-13-2013 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cj7guy (Post 15553120)

I was going to put the liner on top of the sound deadening...but as I'm typing it, I'm beginning to realize that would leave some large, unsightly bumps on the floor. Looks like I'll be busting out the heat gun.

We left the sound deadening in and just slathered it with the liner to fill in the cracks. We have floor mats and a cargo liner, so you don't even see it.

Walle 06-13-2013 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepAddOnsChris (Post 15551921)

I spoke with a salesman at BedRug/BedTred today. They first announced the BedTred at SEMA and won product of the year. According to the salesman, the BedTred will be available by the end of this month. I am looking at purchasing it for my JKU. Here is some more info on the BedTred.

The time now is 03:02 PM.