Best aftermarket clutch for a JK? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Best aftermarket clutch for a JK?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 01-25-2011, 02:28 PM   #1
boatycall
2008 JK Wrangler 

Best aftermarket clutch for a JK?

Need a new clutch due to the mud-in-the-bellhousing problem. What's a good clutch to replace the OEM, and why?

boatycall is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2011, 01:37 AM   #2
WSOffroad
2008 JK Wrangler 

We have done Spec II clutches in 2 JK's and they are a great upgrade over the factory clutch.

The pedal feel is extremely light, it takes very little effort to depress. The Spec clutch grabs right at the top of the pedal. It is very easy to drive, but it will take a bit of getting used to because it grabs in a totally different place than the stock one does.

Here are some highlights:

Features segmented or full faced pure Kevlar disc with steel backing. This lining features excellent drivability like the stage 1, but offers slightly longer life and higher torque capacity. The hub is double sprung with spring cover relieves for flexibility and heat treated components for strength and durability. Best for street, drag, pulling and autocross.

•High clamp pressure plate
•Pure Kevlar friction material
•High torque sprung hub and disc assembly
•Bearing and tool kit

[FONT="Impact"][SIZE="4"]PM or Call 813.361.0869 [/SIZE][/FONT]
[URL="http://www.facebook.com/pages/WS-Offroad/169575106387318"][FONT="Tahoma"][SIZE="4"][COLOR="Blue"]Like us on facebook for FREE stuff![/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/URL][/CENTER]
WSOffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2011, 08:10 PM   #3
boatycall
2008 JK Wrangler 

Anybody else? Yes, this is a shameless attempt at a bump.....
Unread 01-27-2011, 08:20 PM   #4
Warlord2
2007 JK Wrangler 

I know there are aftermarket clutches, just cant remember who made them. Back in 07-08 someone blew theirs out on just going down a trail and he replaced his with a stage 2, maybe stage 3....With the stage 3 you dont have to worry about destoying them while forging water, the dirt wont even hurt it. It could of been AGT, might try searching the other forums.....Im sure many others have upgraded by now.
07 JK 2D X model with 6 speeds. Full Traction 3" ultimate lift kit. 315x75x16 Toyo Open Country M/T on Rock crawler procomp rim. Ruby dana44's front sleeved inside/outside C truss and rear with 5.13's gears. Homemade rock guards, rear bumper w/tire carrier, oilpan/tranny skid, evap canister skid, light bar, switch pod. Riddler diff covers, Cobra 75 w/wilson antenna, Polk speakers, 10" sub, 2x Amps, Lightforce 240 drive light, backup lights, rock lights.
Warlord2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2011, 12:04 AM   #5
JLC08JK
What was I thinking?

2008 JK Wrangler 

Found it!
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/j...ml#post8499939

99% of Your JK Questions will be Answered Here
JK F.A.Q./WILL IT RUB and Popular Threads

Protect Our Rights to Freedom and the Environment
Visit the EnviroBeat
JLC08JK is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2011, 12:57 AM   #6
Warlord2
2007 JK Wrangler 

Yup thats the one! Im going to bookmark it this time

Thanks for searching JLC08JK, I should of known it was SPEC
07 JK 2D X model with 6 speeds. Full Traction 3" ultimate lift kit. 315x75x16 Toyo Open Country M/T on Rock crawler procomp rim. Ruby dana44's front sleeved inside/outside C truss and rear with 5.13's gears. Homemade rock guards, rear bumper w/tire carrier, oilpan/tranny skid, evap canister skid, light bar, switch pod. Riddler diff covers, Cobra 75 w/wilson antenna, Polk speakers, 10" sub, 2x Amps, Lightforce 240 drive light, backup lights, rock lights.
Warlord2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2011, 02:44 PM   #7
boatycall
2008 JK Wrangler 

Boy, there sure is a limited number of clutches to choose from. Tons for 4.0/4.2L. So I called Spec and talked with them at length.
Because I live in Seattle where it's very damp very frequently, and it's not my daily driver, they recommended the 2+ for my application. They said the issue I'd have with the 3+ is that the high metallic content of the clutch could actually actually create a rust bond in just a couple days to the flywheel if I don't drive it regularly.
Any thoughts before I buy it?
Unread 01-31-2011, 05:07 PM   #8
Spaf
2011 JK Wrangler 

For the sake of everyone else's knowledge I think you should get the 3+, park it for a week and let us know if it sticks.
Yellow Jeep Club #54
"Que scais-je?"
Spaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2011, 02:39 PM   #9
boatycall
2008 JK Wrangler 

Ordered a 2+. After another long chat with a tech at Spec, this looked to be the best.
Also, I've talked with 3 people now, my tranny guy, a tech at Centerforce, and the tech at Spec. All 3 have said the same thing as far as the tranny vents - Leaving the ones on the top of the bellhousing open and sealing the bottom should not yield any problems. Worst case, if I know I've gotten gunk in through the top(which is very unlikely given where I go), I can drill and tap a drain hole in the bottom and hit it with compressed air to try and blow stuff out the top.
Never thought I'd have to put a bilge pump in my tranny, but that'd be next.
Unread 02-01-2011, 03:37 PM   #10
2012Rubicon

Im a fan of the Prada and Coach clutches...

wait...damnit.

Ignore me please.

[[OLD]] 2007 Jeep Wrangler.....2.5 TF Coil lift...TF Quick Disconnects...Bilstein 5100's...35's....Rancho Front/ Rear tire carrier...hi-lift jack..
2012Rubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2013, 12:18 PM   #11
allinder

Replacement clutch for 2012 Wrangler

As of December 2nd Centerforce has no replacement for the 2012 model. Spec has one but the stage 1 is $699 without the bearing. anyone know if there is another performance aftermarket clutch for the 2012?
allinder is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.