Best 4" lift for 37s - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Best 4" lift for 37s

New DEAL OF THE WEEK at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 09-30-2013, 09:59 AM   #1
ajglazema

Best 4" lift for 37s

Morning everyone,
As of yesterday I'm a proud owner of a 08 wrangler unlimited and I immediately want to put a 4" lift with 37s and make this bad boy worthy of BC off-roading.
I've looked into teraflex and many other brands, but there are soooo many options. I need some advice.
I'm looking to so a little bit of everything in this jeep as well as use it in the city and highway from time to time.
I want to know what mods I should be looking at for the best combo and price and which gears I should run with the 37s
Let me know what you think! Thanks

ajglazema is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2013, 10:46 AM   #2
Walle
Soccer Mom and Jeep Hater

2012 JK Wrangler 

Congrats on the new Jeep! Look at the Currie. They have different variations of the kit. But it is the most complete kit out there. And Currie provides top notice products and customer service!

Currie JK lift
Walle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2013, 11:02 AM   #3
ajglazema

Great thx!
Unread 09-30-2013, 11:13 AM   #4
Walle

2012 JK Wrangler 

No problem. If you have questions or concerns, feel free to ask. Here is a link to a thread I created about the lift.
Unread 09-30-2013, 11:36 AM   #5
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

37"s on a 08 plan at least too regear. be thinking 5:13"s. wheeling this depending on how hard and your right foot may have axles issue. at 4" lift plan as well to replace all drive lines.

many may not know this but on all Jk"s you can get a 37" under them with no lift. just remove the fenders and some pinch trimming maybe a 1"bump stop extension if they hit the head light area at flex.

so you could get "flats"or highline fenders and reduce the lift and the cost . Though on hard trails I never ever hear from people,my jeep is to high wish it was a 2" rather than 4-+. 2D with 4+- and 35"s do very well, Locked. Or how it looks silly if you have a lot of room between the fenders and tires. As long as you are using the uptravel nothing is wasted.

37 is the point break as well were it gets much more expensive over all.
Unread 09-30-2013, 11:44 AM   #6
seanmagen
1983 CJ7 

We'll if you want to put these size tires you need to have different gear ratios because if you just out them on you will hate your jeep you should first put 4.88s and then put on your 37s and lift and it's performance will be great it will have so much torque when u go off-roading and when u tow you won't feel like you are towing and most importantly on road with nothing it feels great acceleration is fine and so is it speed it's just like from the factory

Also you should get 1.5 inch wheel spacers and abs lockers for bc off-roading
seanmagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2013, 12:33 PM   #7
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

If you wheel 37" tires I suggest.

5.13 gears if you have a D30 front
5.38 gears if you have a D44 front
Axle truss kit or tubes and gussets.
Chrome moly axles.

If you go with 4" lift you will need
driveshafts
And a proper 4" lift expect approx 1k per inch.
2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited. Auto, Tow pkg, Dual Tops, MyGig, Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, Flex-o-lite trans cooler, Mr Grille billet grille inserts, AEV Prem Bumper ETC.. AND a Locked and Lifted Honda Foreman for when the trails get real tight
JTPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2013, 01:59 PM   #8
Maertz
Hating Jk's Since 07'

2009 JK Wrangler 

personally id get components seperate or build one. it is significantly less than a full kit. If i had to spend 1000 per inch my choice would have been just get coilovers...Im at 4.75 with all 8 arms, track bars, tie rod, track bars & brackets,drag link flip, brake lines, coils, and retainers, coil perches (for stretch), and long travel shocks for around $1300 add another 800 for driveshafts im at $2100 ish When i finally spend the 4750 thats claiming id need to spend ill have 14" and 16" coilovers and whatever else i decide to add to try and get up to 4750..If you are buying a kit though thats probably a relatively true statement. I also agree though that on 37s id worry about the lift last and durability to handle 37s first.

gears i wouldnt want over 4.88 on a d30. on a d44 id want 5.38s on an auto and 5.13s on a manual. (depending on motor also)

if you are going to wheel it i would wait on the tires and plan this out alot....
Maertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2013, 02:18 PM   #9
Walle

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maertz View Post
it is significantly less than a full kit.
What is?
Unread 09-30-2013, 02:30 PM   #10
Maertz
Hating Jk's Since 07'

2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walle View Post
What is?
making your own parts for a kit. And possibly buying the pieces separately depending on what brands you are looking for for each item. Altough lots of people will disagree a frankenlift is a bad idea..I am not one of those people
Unread 09-30-2013, 02:32 PM   #11
Walle

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maertz View Post
making your own parts for a kit. And possibly buying the pieces separately depending on what brands you are looking for for each item. Altough lots of people will disagree a frankenlift is a bad idea..I am not one of those people
I agree. If you know what you are doing, a frankenlift will do wonders for you. But you have to know what you are looking for and what you need.
Unread 09-30-2013, 02:49 PM   #12
ROCKR8R
2008 JK Wrangler 

OP, no offense but it doesn’t sound like you know the first thing about modifying your Jeep. The Wrangler is plenty capable right out of the gate and can fit large tires with minimal lift. A 4” lift isn’t needed to make it capable. You can fit 37’s at under 4” of lift. It is expensive to run a lift that size properly. You can fit 37’s at 2.5 or 3” and forgo a lot of headaches that a larger lift provides.

As other’s have said drive shafts will need replaced, you will need adjustable front (and rear) trackbar, extended brake lines, adjustable control arms…etc…Easily surpasses $2K.

As for gearing on your ’08 I would suggest 5.13 at least. While you are paying for a re-gear, might as well throw in a couple lockers too.

-Dan
ROCKR8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2013, 03:25 PM   #13
Filthy-Beast
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Currie or look at MetalCloak Game changer. But as others are telling you tires and lift is only the beginning. I hope you have at least 7k budgeted for tires, wheels, lift, shafts, gears, etc.

For Sale: 2013 4dr JK Painted black Hard Top JKUR 18/59 springs and shocks

97 TJ: daughter 1 - 2.5L, Auto, 2" BB, 31" GY Duratrac
98 TJ: Daugher 2 - 4.0L, 5spd, D44 rear
06 LJ Rubicon: mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
13 JKU Rubicon: Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2013, 03:30 PM   #14
Maertz
Hating Jk's Since 07'

2009 JK Wrangler 

metal cloak makes a solid kit, but there shocks are not set up correctly imo. There made for more uptravel wich is not so commonly used in most jks...a properly set up 12" travel shocks will flex more than there half assed 14" shocks. Rock krawler i know are damn near perfect. not sure on all the others. If they change there lengths a little it would be very nice. The shock design is a good start just needs tuning. IMO if your going to 12" or higher travel shocks (and using it all) you should have coilovers or you will have issues.
Unread 09-30-2013, 03:41 PM   #15
ajglazema

Wow, this is all really helpful info I'm so stoked to be part of this "community" and yes I have a lot to learn! I do have a bunch of money put aside for the project, yet I still want to do it as cost effective as I can while still producing a badass jeep

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.