Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Beginners cost guide to modding

3K views 15 replies 15 participants last post by  scrogg 
#1 ·
I am overwhelmed! Ill be getting a new X soon...and have bought it damn near base with the hopes of modding it out.

I have 4k in cash on hand, saved specifically to start the money pit that will be my Wrangler.

Anyone have any recommendations on where I can start? I do like, based on reviews...the OME 2.5 lift (Im a huge fan of quality) and it sounds like for the avg DD its a great lift. I'd like some 31" or 32" tires...and beyond that probably new front and rear bumpers and winch.

Problem is...after the OME lift my brain sorta goes into overload. Any solid reqs on where to go after the lift? BTW...I dont need to spend all 4k.. :rofl:

Order of eye candy:

OME lift
Crager 16" tires and wheels
front / rear bumper
winch
re-gear (I will tow upto 2k semi regularly)
safari or river raider snorkel (Ill b honest...I just want one)

EDIT: Im an average Joe...low mechanical expertise but am in the Army so resources are close for help.

See less See more
#2 ·
Sounds to me like you've got a pretty good list together. My only thought is that you can probably get a bigger tire. The stock rubi tires are 32's. 31's would look pretty small with that 2.5" lift in my opinion.

#3 ·
If you are only going to run 32" tires, don't waste money on a lift. While I really like my Warn 9.5ti winch, I think the Superwinch EPi 9.5 is an excellent value and is much cheaper. I got a good deal on my Warn, so that's why I went with it. Bumpers range in price from $300 to $1,400 each. Regearing is expensive, so you really shouldn't regear until you are absolutely sure that that's the biggest tire you are going to run. After a while, those 32" will start to look small to you. I sometimes think my 35's are looking kind of small. Gears and installation kit will run $600 to $700 and labor will run $600. Try your stock gearing with 32's, you might be surprised, especially if you get the towing package which is 3.76 gears for 08. In 2007, towing package was 4.10 gears. For 08, 4.10 gears are only available on the Rubicon. If you don't have the towing package and have the manual transmission, you will have 3.21 gears, in which case, it's worth regearing. For 32's, I recommend 4.10 as a good gearing choice. For 33's, I say 4.56. For 35's, 4.88 or 5.13 for the manual tranny and 5.13 for the automatic. Be wary of ultra cheap bumpers on ebay. That being said, it's not necessary to break the bank to get a decent bumper. I think the AEV snorkel combined with the AEV heat reduction hood is a good combo, as they are designed to work together, but it's not cheap. Vehicles on or near military bases are notorious for getting broken into, so you may want to get one of Tuffy's security consoles or something like that.

#5 ·
x2

I think Prot has once again said it all. :thumbsup:

#6 ·
I would go with a simple 2.5" Budget boost lift. It is cheap so thats a plus. Then add 33" tires, front and rear bumpers and a winch. You can fit a 35" tire with 2.5" of lift but it will rub. Add the weight of bumpers and a winch and you will lose about 3/4" so 33's would look great.

Really, I suggest to just wheel it stock first, build from there. You don't know what to add till you need it, dont let that $4k burn a hole in your pocket either.

#9 ·
Honestly, most of my mods are 85% looks, 15% practical. The most I will trail my Wrangler will be on tank trails (until I get caught). The rest will be camping, towing 2000 lbs (2x waverunner and 4x6 enclosed trailer), and running with doors off and top down because I've waited 20 years for this opportunity!

I don't want too big of tires, because I want decent gas mileage, and I won't be crawling.

The only thing, really, I can't wrap my mind around is the snorkel. I want it....because I want it. I can't think of one practical excuse for getting one....and yet I probably still will.

#11 ·
Honestly, most of my mods are 85% looks, 15% practical. The most I will trail my Wrangler will be on tank trails (until I get caught). The rest will be camping, towing 2000 lbs (2x waverunner and 4x6 enclosed trailer), and running with doors off and top down because I've waited 20 years for this opportunity!

I don't want too big of tires, because I want decent gas mileage, and I won't be crawling.

The only thing, really, I can't wrap my mind around is the snorkel. I want it....because I want it. I can't think of one practical excuse for getting one....and yet I probably still will.
After you hydrolock your first engine you will have one practical excuse for getting a snorkle. I am on my 7th engine in my YJ - water-damaged every single one of them .. some day I might just learn. :brickwall

#15 ·
I agree with Kedive. I would get new tires and I would also get new wheels first. That alone will make your Jeep look much different and also change what you can and can't do on the trails. I think that changing wheels on any vehicle changes the looks of the vehicle more than anything else you can do. I promise that it won't take long to go through $4K of mods though. I have only replaced my wheels and tires and I was looking at doing some other things and was already several grand in the hole! It'll take time.

#16 ·
If you want the lift, get it. You'll always regret not having it later if you don't. Even if you don't get tires bigger than 32". Also, if you only want to go to 32" tires then look for some take offs from someone who has upgraded thier Rubi. You should be able to get a set of Rubi wheels and tires for somewhere around $500 to $800. If you like the Crager wheels then get them but if they are in a 16" then your forcing yourself to have to get aftermarket tires from somewhere as well.

And as Prot said, don't bother with gearing if your only going with 32" tires, but definitely get the tow package at the very least so that you can have the 3.76 gears inlieu of the 3.21.

Bumpers are tough. There are so many of them out there that it comes down to what you like personally and/or what fits into the budget. Same goes for the winch, plenty to choose from. Decide what you want it to do and how much your willing to spend and go from there.

Good luck and enjoy the build.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.