Beginners build for '11 JK 2DR - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Beginners build for '11 JK 2DR

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Rugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6

Unread 02-28-2011, 05:22 PM   #1
Cajun53
2011 JK Wrangler 

Beginners build for '11 JK 2DR

Just bought a '11 Wrangler Sport 2DR to replace the '83 CJ5 I had to get rid of in '04. I'd like to start "simple"...Here's want I want to start with and I need some opinions to go along with the research:

1. Biggest tires I can fit on my stock 17" wheels without a lift. I've got the stock 31" GY Wranglers on there now...as well as opinions on which are best (leaning towards the BFG Mud Terrain KM2).

2. Front bumper with winch and supplement light mounting. (bull bar, no stinger).

3. Best winch for the money (cheap, but not cheaply made) for self-recovery capability.

This is my first Jeep since the kids are old enough to go on the trails with me. I will not be wheeling anything major, only light trails and beach stuff for camping. Any and all opinions are welcomed and appreciated. I'm not well read on the JK market and have been out of the Jeepers crowd for a while, so consider me a newbie!

Many Thanks!!!! S/F -Cajun

Cajun53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2011, 05:41 PM   #2
saharac
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun53 View Post
1. Biggest tires I can fit on my stock 17" wheels without a lift. I've got the stock 31" GY Wranglers on there now...as well as opinions on which are best (leaning towards the BFG Mud Terrain KM2).
The max tire size you can fit on stock JKs are 33"... I run the BFG A/Ts, but mine is a DD and A/Ts work better for me... Lot of ppl do the MTR Kevlars..

2. Front bumper with winch and supplement light mounting. (bull bar, no stinger).
The Rugged Ridge XHD is a popular choice and good value for money. It comes with a lot of options, search quadratec or other vendor site and you can see through their options...
Although I have the XHD bumper, I have recently become a big fan of the Poison Spyder Brawler Lite with bull bar... If I am to replace my bumoer, I will go with this one..

3. Best winch for the money (cheap, but not cheaply made) for self-recovery capability.
I got the Smittybilt XRC8 with synthetic line from Amazon for $400.. The more you read on the XRC8, the more mixed reviews you might get, but mine has never failed on me and has worked great so I'll recommend it...
Have fun with the Jeep...
Unread 02-28-2011, 05:50 PM   #3
mikek3
2008 JK Wrangler 

If you're willing to cut fenders, you can fit 35s under there, maybe with rubbing at full lock (especially rubbing with stock wheels). I did that with 315/75/16 KM2s on 4.25in backspacing wheels. Great tires, btw, regardless of what size you get. I'd go with 33s-ish.

Like Jeepveda, I have the Rugged Ridge XHD, but with the Pre-Runner Guard. I had two quality defects with the short base, and the pre-runner guard had a bent light mount, and has already started to get some surface rust (maybe in part to blame on the Michigan salt). So, I've been looking elsewhere (Poison Spyder, actually, again, like Jeepveda mentioned) for a rear bumper/tire carrier.

I have the WARN 9.5ti. I love it, but haven't used it for anything to serious yet. I understand that the M8000 (I think that's it), is also a quality Warn winch, and should also be enough for a 2dr, imo.
mikek3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2011, 02:32 AM   #4
jeeperjk
Web Wheeler
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
As stated above, you can go with a 33" tire stock or if you wanna cut your fender flares (or get flat fender flares -- River Raider, PSC, or Bushwacker to name a few), then you can put 35's on w/o a suspension lift. You'll probably wanna run wheel spacers either way to limit rub if you go with a 12.5" wide tire.

Quote:
I'm running an LoD stubby w/ stinger, but if I had it to do over, I'd go with a PSC front bumper. I'm sure there are others out there that're nice (especially since you don't want a stinger), but PSC makes freakin' sweet stuff.

Quote:
I'm using a Superwinch LP8500. No complaints from me and I picked it up for ~$375. There are others out there that're good. I'm sure others will chime in with more info.
jeeperjk is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.