been gone for 10 days (jk mods) - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > been gone for 10 days (jk mods)

2003-2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Headlight Dark Background wiOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!1999-2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Wheel Bearing & Hub Asse

Unread 12-09-2008, 05:50 PM   #61
Mtnmn99
2008 JK Wrangler 

Sounds like a Dog gone good deal.

I am sorry I just could not resist.

1995 YJ My Rockrig
http://offroadjournal.blogspot.com/
www.wheelingpiazzas.com
Mtnmn99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2008, 06:52 PM   #62
Lammer
2011 JK Wrangler 

Trying not to hijack the thread, but...

what kind of dogs do you have?

...not like I'll get one of yours, since I'm up here in Canada.

But, I'm a dog lover and like to here about the different breeds.

Unread 12-09-2008, 07:48 PM   #63
b_c
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnmn99 View Post
Sounds like a Dog gone good deal.

I am sorry I just could not resist.

it truly was

...just sold another one 20 min ago.

german shorthaired pointers. i've got a thread going here: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=639299

i'll answer any questions you may have. gsp's are by far the one of the smartest breed i've ever encountered.

b_c

greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends -john 15:13
b_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2008, 10:35 AM   #64
b_c
2008 JK Wrangler 

breaker, breaker one-nine...we have confirmation

...i just got an email from the seller of my cobra 75. according to the tracking information from ups, i should have the package by friday.

who's installed a cb and what power source did you use? i'm thinking about splicing into one of the 12v dc power ports that's in the center console. would that be a bad idea? ...it's my understanding that one is always "live". which one, right or left?

...or should i just run the wires to the battery?

b_c

greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends -john 15:13
Unread 12-10-2008, 10:49 AM   #65
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

There's no problem using the lighter for power; the one on the left is switched.
If you want to do a proper job of it, use that hot lead to trip a relay and get your hot power via a fused line to the aux power tap on the fuse box under the hood.

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.- Helen Keller
Hilldweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2008, 09:07 PM   #66
b_c
2008 JK Wrangler 

10-4

well...finally got this in today. tomorrow morning it goes in. anyone have any advice?

b_c

Unread 12-13-2008, 05:23 AM   #67
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_c View Post
well...finally got this in today. tomorrow morning it goes in. anyone have any advice?
b_c
Take out your glovebox and ziptie the remote unit to the crossmember in there.
Take off your AM/FM covers and install your mounts; grab your power from the cig lighter on the left.
Crimp everything tightly; don't mess with solder unless you're good at it.
Heatshrink the taps, and close up the center console. Carefully locate a nice location to drill the hole for the hand unit to plug into the remote; use the proper size bit to drill the hole or use a unibit slowly. Screw the connector in place, hook it together, tune your antenna, and start jabbering with truckers.

The only ways you can mess it up is if you go red to black for power (cross polarity) or use the radio with a badly tuned antenna too many times. Get as low an swr as you can; the JK typically can achieve a 1.4 or better.
A good antenna, tune, & install is more important than a big radio...
I tuned my antenna with one of these but a $15 Radio Shack SWR meter will work almost as well.

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.- Helen Keller
Unread 12-13-2008, 08:34 AM   #68
b_c
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilldweller View Post
I tuned my antenna with one of these but a $15 Radio Shack SWR meter will work almost as well.
holy shiz!!! that's one nice tuner!$!

i'm going to see if i can get it installed this morning...i need some t-crimps.

so it's the one on the left i should wire in to...?

b_c

Last edited by b_c; 12-13-2008 at 09:39 AM..
Unread 12-13-2008, 04:27 PM   #69
b_c
2008 JK Wrangler 

which is positive, which is negative?

blue/purple

and

black/white

these are the wires leading to the left cigarette lighter. i'm guessing black/w is neg and b/p is pos. anyone wanna give me a 2nd opinion?

b_c

Unread 12-13-2008, 05:12 PM   #70
b_c
2008 JK Wrangler 

found it

red goes to blue/pink

black goes to black/white

http://www.quadratec.com/Assets/Installation/103381.pdf

b_c

Unread 12-13-2008, 08:22 PM   #71
b_c
2008 JK Wrangler 

cb install pics

remove glove box (pinch sides to clear tabs) and lower panel (pry parameter)

electric taped box tabs to prevent "rattling," then attached to crossmember

removed lower panel and bolts

removed uppper panel and bolts

separated face enough to get to wires to power outlet on left side (thought it was "dedicated"...)

ran the leads down following factory wiring and spliced into both lines

then i went to go test it, and nothing! i was like f..............!
then i turned the key to "accessories" and low and behold

i thought the one on the left was always live?

drilled and mounted the the gasket and holder for quick disconnect and put everything back together

b_c

Unread 12-13-2008, 08:30 PM   #72
b_c
2008 JK Wrangler 

i didn't get pics of the swr meter and the testing, but everything seemed kosher. i may not have known what the hell i was doing though, so i may need to check it again.

i hooked up the meter and had it in "fwd." changed the channel to 1, then pressed transmit. turned "cal" knob to where it was between 1.6 and 2.0, then switched it to "ref." noted that it was at 1.4ish then let go. changed it to 19, didn't have to adjust anything. then changed it to 40 and had to decrease "cal" b/c it was higher than two and switched to "ref". it was at 1.3ish. went back and tested channels 1 and 19 again and i was at like 1.2ish on ref with no adjustments.

is this right? or am i we tall did?

::edit:: i took the jeep out for a spin and did a radio check on channel 19. got a guy to respond. he was like 2 miles away. ::edit::

b_c

Last edited by b_c; 12-13-2008 at 09:01 PM..
Unread 12-13-2008, 10:34 PM   #73
b_c
2008 JK Wrangler 

change oil light...

...when i was out going to get the splicing crimps, the "change oil" light came on today. even before i started messing with wires

anyway...i only have 2500ish miles on the jeep. i pulled over as soon as i heard the alarm and checked the oil. it didn't look burnt and there was definitely enough on the dipstick.

...anyone else have this happen to them?

i've gotta leave town for a while, so this will have to wait for a week or so to fix.

b_c

Unread 12-14-2008, 12:35 AM   #74
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_c View Post
...when i was out going to get the splicing crimps, the "change oil" light came on today. even before i started messing with wires

anyway...i only have 2500ish miles on the jeep. i pulled over as soon as i heard the alarm and checked the oil. it didn't look burnt and there was definitely enough on the dipstick.

...anyone else have this happen to them?

i've gotta leave town for a while, so this will have to wait for a week or so to fix.

b_c
Thatís normal. You donít necessarily have to change the oil at this time. Itís easy to re-set the oil alarm but I suggest that before you do, change it so you donít forget.

JK Wrangler dash mount for Cellphones, GPS units, GoPro cameras, Spot devices etc.
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2008, 05:51 AM   #75
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

Hey, good job!
Get a multimeter, btw; every man needs to have one. You can use it on so many things on the Jeep, it's not funny.
The left cig lighter is the one to use because it's switched. There are times you might want to leave something running when the heep is turned off, but you might space and leave the cb on for several days and kill your battery. I did that on a camping trip a couple of decades ago...

Every SWR meter is a little different. The quickest way to tune your antenna is to set your radio to channel 20, flip your switch to cal, key the mike and turn the knob until the meter zero's out. Then flip the switch back and key the mike --- at that point you adjust your antenna up/down until the reading is as low as possible.
By tuning to 20, you usually get the lowest general numbers across the entire range.
Read your meter's instructions though or find them on the web; they're very simple but if you use them wrong you can harm your radio (or at least make it transmit poorly).

And about the meters I use, I'm the senior admin in an Agilent test and measurement training lab; some of the meters I get my hands on cost more than my house. I don't actually own any of these... ...but they are uber-cool devices.

Tags
JK Wrangler , lift , lift kit , poison spider customs , rancho , teraflex , unlimited , wrangler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.