been gone for 10 days (jk mods) - Page 36 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > been gone for 10 days (jk mods)

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 04-26-2011, 06:28 AM   #526
rha600
2013 JK Wrangler 

AWESOME build thread. No way am I going this "extreme", but after spending a couple of days reading this, I did notice that you started having problem after problem once you hit a certain point in the build. I guess it's no different than building up a high performance engine, once you hit a certain point reliability is out the window.

rha600 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2011, 10:07 AM   #527
b_c
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rha600 View Post
AWESOME build thread..........I did notice that you started having problem after problem once you hit a certain point in the build...

thanks man...i like it when other people enjoy the fruits of my labors.

the only problems i've had are with the original oem components. non of the items that i've put on have had problems with them. ...have they contributed to my problems, maybe, but what's that saying??? ..."breakage equals upgrade!"

i was talking to my wife about this the other day, actually. ...i don't think i'll buy a fresh-off-the-lot jeep again (notice, i didn't say never...if they come out w/ a diesel next year, i may be tempted). yeah, i love the new car smell, but now knowing what i know about how jeep does things, i'd rather pour that new car money into mods on the used jeep b/c once you go bigger tires or bigger suspension or change anything w/ the jeep, they'll hold that over your head and the warranty is out anyway.

we'll see how things go...i'm hoping to get my ball joints in today and have them installed by the weekend. i need to either go rent a tool or buy one...i'm thinking about buying b/c i can use the tool on u-joints too.

b_c

greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends -john 15:13
b_c is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2011, 11:20 AM   #528
Niceface
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_c View Post
we'll see how things go...i'm hoping to get my ball joints in today and have them installed by the weekend. i need to either go rent a tool or buy one...i'm thinking about buying b/c i can use the tool on u-joints too.

b_c
They have harbor freights up there in hippy land???
Niceface is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2011, 05:40 AM   #529
rha600
2013 JK Wrangler 

I like how you think b_c.

I believe the "problems" that come up once you get to a certain point in modification is a combination of companies trying to save money with (not the perfect word but...) sub standard parts and their design. They design the parts, like the ball joints for a set specification with the truck on stock wheels and tires and a stock suspension and stock engine and stock radio...haha. So when we modify it in the slightest is throws off their design and because they didn't use the strongest metal or a design that allows for even a little bit of modification it breaks.

But like you said, when it breaks it's an excuse to do it better.

I kind of want you to go buy a new off the lot jeep so you can start another kick *** thread that I can follow. This has been great.
rha600 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2011, 10:34 AM   #530
b_c
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niceface View Post
They have harbor freights up there in hippy land???

hippy land? oh, you mean the fact that weed-stores out number starbucks up here?

yeah, they have harbor freights, hit them up yesterday and they hit me back @ ~$170. bought the 3-in-1 ball joint tool, the 12" ball joint remover tool, and had to go back a 2nd time for the adapter set.

i got the lower driver's side in. it was a little late after i got the adapter set, so the upper driver's side is just sitting in the hole a little pressed in. the passenger side, you wouldn't f'n believe this! the lower joint is free spinning, so i can't back off the nut off the bolt!!!!! f'n jeep/chrysler and their f'n vinyl ball joints. if you're reading this, and you haven't replaced yours yet, replace them now!

here's some pics

stuck nut on lower passenger

got the driver's side spindle off...the 12" ball joint remover tool was a necessity!!!

new tool and ingenuity before the adapter set; upper ball joint coming out

lower driver's side installed

...so passenger side is still on hold. i've got an idea to take a piece of steel and weld it to the end of the bolt, allowing me to leverage while i wrench off the nut. then use a bfh to break the weld. ...now just to find a welder.........................

b_c

greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends -john 15:13
Unread 04-28-2011, 11:05 AM   #531
442Wrangler
In like Flynn.

2008 JK Wrangler 

Looks good my man. When I make it out there this summer for my park job, I'd love to give you a hand on the weekends if you ever need one, my dad has taught me a bit of his extensive knowledge of cars.

How do you like that lift and the rear bumper? Kinda been eying both of for awhile and you have had them on there for 2 years it looks like.

1998 TJ Sahara Sold
-3.25" RC spring lift, Eagle alloys 125s, 33x12.5x15 Cooper STTs, XRC8 winch with stock bumper mount

1994 YJ SE Sold
-4" RC spring lift, 33x12.5x15 Firestone M/Ts, Eagle alloys 125, and a 4 cylinder to boot

1960 Willys Wagon
-Going to be restored and painted Omaha Orange

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."
-Steve McQueen

Male RN Jeep Club #1
442Wrangler is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2011, 05:12 PM   #532
Niceface
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
stuck nut on lower passenger

b_c
Glad your making progress. Call Kimble Midwest and order you a few cans of this stuff. It's 10x better than PB blaster or anything I've ever found. Plus it smells like cherries!!! About 10-15 bucks a can.

It is batting 1000 for breaking rusty bolts on my rig.

Unread 04-28-2011, 08:04 PM   #533
Ayres56
2008 JK Wrangler 

I've been flipping through this thread for the first time. Enjoyed it and will keep following and taking ideas from you.
Ayres56 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2011, 08:41 AM   #534
b_c
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 442Wrangler View Post
How do you like that lift and the rear bumper? Kinda been eying both of for awhile and you have had them on there for 2 years it looks like.
love the lift...i've been places that 4" lifts on 35's could go. ...it's all about the flex, i think. those flex arms are the deal...

mod 56 - synergy (poly performance) heavy duty ball joints - well if you've been reading the last 5 or so posts, you know that i just replaced my ball joints. these things are stout! ...and i like that they were army green!

(quadratec...$239, free shipping; price match...did anyone else know quadratec price matched??? i found these online on another website for 239 w/ free-ship...i called quadratec and they said they would honor the deal if they could find the same website...they did!)

i finally was able to get that nut off...thanks to my buddy devin who came over with a grinder...

no amount of pb blaster or jamming something between the spindle and the nut for leverage was going to work...we tried. the f'n bolt just kept free spinning.

anyway...

everything is all put back together and i even went for a test drive! ...black jeep needs an alignment badly.

NOTE: do not use a 1/4" box-end wrench for leverage when putting in ball joints!

happy friday everyone!!

b_c

Unread 04-29-2011, 05:44 PM   #535
442Wrangler
In like Flynn.

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:

NOTE: do not use a 1/4" box-end wrench for leverage when putting in ball joints!

happy friday everyone!!

b_c

Is that a craftsman? They would give you a brand new one if it was. Gotta love using tools like they were truly intended: for everything that it wasn't made for!

1998 TJ Sahara Sold
-3.25" RC spring lift, Eagle alloys 125s, 33x12.5x15 Cooper STTs, XRC8 winch with stock bumper mount

1994 YJ SE Sold
-4" RC spring lift, 33x12.5x15 Firestone M/Ts, Eagle alloys 125, and a 4 cylinder to boot

1960 Willys Wagon
-Going to be restored and painted Omaha Orange

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."
-Steve McQueen

Male RN Jeep Club #1
442Wrangler is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2011, 12:50 PM   #536
b_c
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 442Wrangler View Post
Is that a craftsman? They would give you a brand new one if it was. Gotta love using tools like they were truly intended: for everything that it wasn't made for!

oh, shiznit...i forgot about the craftsman guarantee...i can't remember if i threw that sucker away or not. i need to check the garage.

note: zerk fittings do not come tightened down on your usa alloy d30 replacement shafts. make sure you tighten before going anywhere.

luckily i checked before i lost one and contaminated the bearings.

everything seems okay for now. i took black jeep to the big o that's close to my house to get it aligned. i got into it pretty bad b/c i have a ntb contract that they're supposed to honor and they didn't and at the same time said i was already aligned and said they straightened my steering wheel...both of which were lies.

i'm supposed to be getting a call from ntb again sometime this week. already got one call from them monday. no calls from big o...b@stards.

b_c

Unread 05-07-2011, 02:28 AM   #537
TheRealKTrain
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Sweet build! I just read all of it while on watch (Navy)

I like how your upgrades coincide with your wheeling. Build threads are no fun when the driver goes on Q-tec and orders 10k worth of stuff before the tires even see dirt.

I look forward to seeing updates!

Μολὼν λαβέ
TheRealKTrain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2011, 09:37 PM   #538
b_c
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealKTrain View Post
Sweet build! I just read all of it while on watch (Navy)

I like how your upgrades coincide with your wheeling. Build threads are no fun when the driver goes on Q-tec and orders 10k worth of stuff before the tires even see dirt.

I look forward to seeing updates!
thanks man... keep us safe

...seems like i may have my steering box going out.

Unread 05-12-2011, 06:39 PM   #539
Niceface
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
...seems like i may have my steering box going out.
Dang man, you can't seem to catch a break lately.
Unread 05-13-2011, 08:26 AM   #540
b_c
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niceface View Post
Dang man, you can't seem to catch a break lately.
i know, right...

...i'm thinking about borrowing a buddies wheels/tires for a few days and taking it in to another stealership to see if they will warranty. i'm sooooo not wanting to deal w/ this right now.

b_c

Tags
JK Wrangler , lift , lift kit , poison spider customs , rancho , teraflex , unlimited , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.